0 comments

Middle School

It was just another boring day for Jamie. He sat in his English class, mindlessly doodling on his notebook, when suddenly the intercom crackled to life.

"Jamie Turner, please report to the principal's office immediately."

Jamie's heart sank. With his mind racing, Jamie grabbed his backpack and made the long walk down the hallway to the principal's office, avoiding eye contact with fellow students.  As he walked, he racked his brain for any possible explanations for why he was being summoned. "Good luck," one of his buddies called out, earning a glare from the passing teacher.

Jamie finally reached the wooden door with the gold plaque that read "Principal's Office" in fancy script. He took a deep breath and pushed it open, bracing himself for the worst.

But what he found on the other side wasn't what he expected.

To his surprise, he found the principal, Mr. Harrison, wearing a giant yellow chicken hat on his head. The hat had red combs, white feathers, and flappy wings that covered his ears. Mr. Harrison was standing on his desk, and waving his arms as if he was trying to fly!

Jamie's mouth fell open at the sight, too stunned to speak. 

"Jamie, sit down,” Mr. Harrison exclaimed, gesturing him to take a seat. 

Jamie sat down carefully, wondering if this was some kind of prank. He looked around the office and saw that there were several more chicken items on display. There was a portrait of a rooster in a suit, a feather duster with googly eyes, a clock that had chicken legs, and a wooden egg crate that had some yellow foam padding and a sign that read "Cluckingham Palace".

Principal Harrison glanced at me over his reading glasses, "I've called you here because we've been having some complaints about your behavior." "

"Complaints?" I repeated, trying to keep my voice steady.

"Yes," he said, nodding gravely. "You've been... too funny."

I blinked. Wait, what? Too funny? Is that even possible?

He leaned forward, "You see, we're getting reports from your classmates that you're constantly making them laugh in class. You're too distracting!"

Jamie's jaw dropped further. Was that really the reason he was called to the principal's office?

The principal continued, his tone serious "Now, we take our education very seriously here, and while we appreciate a good sense of humor, we have to draw the line somewhere. This...this constant chuckling, this mirthful mayhem, it's simply unacceptable! We cannot have students disrupting the learning environment with their...their humor."

Jamie couldn't help it - he burst out laughing, doubling over in his seat as he gasped for breath. The principal looked on, clearly bewildered and more than a little affronted.

"Jamie, do you find this amusing?" the principal demanded, the chicken hat wobbling slightly on top of his head.

Finally, Jamie managed to compose himself enough to speak. "I'm sorry, sir, it's just...I can't stop laughing at the thought of getting in trouble for laughing… and your hat! It's ridiculous!"

The principal scowled, but Jamie could see the ghost of a smirk tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Well, just...just make sure you keep your jokes to a minimum during class time, okay? We don't want to have to take any drastic measures.” Then the principal's stern expression cracked into a smile as he saw Jamie laughing. "Well, I'm glad you find it funny. But your teachers don't."

Jamie nodded seriously, trying to contain his laughter. "I understand, sir. I'll try to be less funny in class." "Um, Mr. Harrison, why are you wearing a chicken hat?" Jamie asked, unable to contain his curiosity.

"Oh, this old thing?" Mr. Harrison said, taking off the hat and twirling it on his finger. "It's just part of the school theme week for the primary students. Today is animal day, and I wanted to show my support for our avian friends. Are you familiar with fowl play, Jamie?"

"Uh, not really," Jamie said, feeling more confused by the second.

"Well, it's a kind of joke that involves wordplay and humor. Like, why did the chicken cross the playground? To get to the other slide!" Mr. Harrison said, grinning widely. "Do you get it?"

Jamie grinned; his brain was still reeling from the sight of his normally serious principal acting like a barnyard bird. "I'm sorry, Mr. Harrison. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I just like to make everyone laugh." 

"Oh, I know, Jamie, I know!" Mr. Harrison said, putting his chicken hat back on. "But you see, the problem is not that you're not funny enough. The problem is that you're too funny!"

Jamie blinked. "Too funny?"

"Yes, Jamie. You have a natural talent for comedy that is rare in someone your age. You have turned a lecture into a comedy show, a science experiment into a stand-up routine, and a detention into a roast battle. You are a born entertainer!"

"Really, Mr. Harrison? You think I'm that good?" Jamie asked, smiling again.

"I do, Jamie. I do," Mr. Harrison said, leaning closer to him. "That's why I've decided to enter you in our school's first ever Comedy Festival! It will be a showcase of the funniest students in the district, and you will represent our school with pride!"

Jamie felt like he had won the lottery. He could not believe his luck! He had gone from being scolded for his humor to being praised for it and invited to perform in front of a live audience!

"Thank you, Mr. Harrison! Thank you!" Jamie said, jumping up from his chair. "I won't let you down! I promise I'll be the best comedian you've ever seen!"

"Cluck yeah, you will!" Mr. Harrison said, laughing. "But remember, Jamie, moderation is the key. You want to be a smart, respectful, and responsible comedian, who uses his gift to bring joy and laughter to others, without hurting their feelings."

And so, I found myself stepping onto the stage the following week, shaking with nerves. But as soon as I started telling my jokes, it was like a switch flipped within me. Every punchline, every witty remark, seemed to come naturally. And when the crowd erupted in laughter, I knew that I had found my calling. 

May 19, 2023 02:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.