Keisha's wedding day

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Teens & Young Adult

The preacher was running late, the church was over crowded and the groom was nowhere to be found. You called me to explain what a terrible day you were having. You didn't know it at the time but my day had been much worse. I came up to your suite to try and comfort you. I felt the cold stares from your bridesmaids and make-up lady who clearly didnt want me there. "Whats wrong?" I asked. "The congregation is way more than we expected, Lance still isnt here and now the preacher just called and said his car broke down so he's gonna be abit late." "Did the preacher say where he is?" "Somewhere on Lewis Street". "Tell him your sending a friend to come and get him." You wrapped your arms around me as a form of gratitude. The tension in the room grew larger. They obviously didn't offer to help. Half of them wernt doing anything anyways. I rushed off too Lewis Street to pick up the preacher. If I had to be honest I was secretly hoping Lance never showed up. I never liked him. I honestly didn't think he was the right guy for you but then again you had a tendency for dating jerks. Ever Since you told me about his criminal record, something about him seemed off. He never spoke about his family and where hes from. I only met his brother. He seemed okay, but he also didnt like talking about his past. "Maybe they just very private"you said. As if things like where you grew up and what university you attended are too revealing. I'd be lying if I said that was the only reason why I never liked Lance. The real why I didnt like him or any other guy you dated was because I secretly had feelings for you. Typical! I know right. From the beginning of time the shy, quite kid in the coner had a crush on the most beautiful girl in the classroom. Yes!classroom. I had a crush on you since high school. I remember everything like it was yesterday. Our friendship was never really a friendship to begin with. We were on two different sides of fence.I was the kid who got made fun of and you were one of the popular girls. The most beautiful one in my eyes. People like us barely spoke but somehow we became friends. I liked the fact that you spoke to me with kindness and sincerity, unlike the rest who made it very clear how uninterested they were. As we got older, life got harder and harder for me, but for some reason you stuck with me, laughed at my jokes and made me feel special in a way. I don't think I ever would've overcame depression without you. As time went by I started to develop real feelings for you. Not the high school crush type, the real deep emotions. Just seeing your face would make me happy. The friendly hugs you gave me felt like a temporary heaven. Every night I would pray for God to keep you in my life. Maybe it was because you were the closest person to me at the time and it felt easier loving you than going out into a world that punished me for my very existence, to look for love. The sadest part was that deep down I always knew that we would never be together. We had conversations about guys you liked and I had nothing in common with none of them. As time went by I started to develop a stronger character and managed to overcome my situation. I became more confident and more sociable. That was around the same time you started going through rough patches with the guys you were seeing. I never understood why most females fall for guys who mistreat them. I sat and watched how they used you, cheated on you and made you feel miserable. Best believe it would break my heart everytime, listening to you cry over the phone, telling me about your relationship problems. You were one of the smartest people I knew but when it came to relationships you werent really wise about your decisions. I never bothered to point out that most of your relationship problems are a results of the guys you choose to date. I knew it wouldn't change anything. Your "girlfriends" had a way of convincing you to ignore my advice and go with their minipulative schemes that never worked. Thats kinda how our rivalry started. They always had an issue with our friendship. From when we were kids, especially since some of their boyfriends were the ones who used to pick on me. Im sure they tried to convince you to end our friendship multiple times. Regardless of all this I stood by you,just like you did for me and as our bond grew stronger my feelings for you grew deeper. The friendly check-ups would get me through the worst of days. You always credited me for checking up on you but truth be told it would help me just as much as it would help you, maybe even more. Hearing your voice was somewhat therapeutic. I never told you how I felt in fear of loosing you. I didn't want you to think our frienship only existed because I had feelings for you. Even though that was kinda true, my feelings for you were deeper than the typical love, lust or friendship. And now you're getting married. I brought the preacher back within fourty five minuets. I then strolled back to the church only to find that my seat had been taken. I went outside,lit a cigar and pretended like this wasn't potentially the worst day of my life. Moments later, I noticed a red Toyota drive into the parking lot. My heart sunk into my stomach. I can only imagine how happy you were when you heard he arrived. At this point I shouldn't even be sad because I never told you how I felt and I'd already excepted the fact that we would never be together. That didnt make it hurt any less tho. And now I had to walk you down the isle and hand you over to him. A man who I was certain wouldnt do right by you .A man who couldnt love you nearly as much as I did. I really didn't enjoy your wedding.

August 05, 2021 16:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.