0 comments

Friendship Drama

“Well what are you going to do now? You got what you wanted, but at what cost.” I said as I slowly turned my head towards Sebastian. He was lost in thought as he held the white rose in his palms looking down at it. “Was it worth losing everyone just for a new world?” I said as I stood in front of him and he slowly looked up. “I still got you don’t I? It was a price I was willing to pay because now I can escape from all this power and live for once with you.” Sebastian said as he took the white rose in one hand and held it close to his face. “We are ready to go…... 

I heard mumbling as I woke up, I looked besides me to see Sebastian turning in his sleep. I slowly started to shake him. “Seb….wake up….it a nightmare.” I said as he then shot up from the bed. “I-Irena?” He said confused as I humed. “Sorry did I wake you up?” He asked as he looked at me. “I am fine Seb. Are you okay?” Sebastian nodded and sat at the edge of the bed. “Sebby it is only 6am, we still have 3 hours before we get up.” I said as I crawled towards the edge Sebastian was sitting at. I started massaging his shoulders as he laid his head back to lay on my shoulder. “You know I love you right and I would do anything for you?” Sebastian said as he looked at me. I gave him a smile and said, “Of course Sebby, you're my best friend I would do the same for you.” He smiled as I slowly lied back down. He chuckled and pushed me to my side of the bed. “You know I read this book about an enchanted white rose that will grant you a whole new world. Do you know what the future could hold for us if we find that rose.” Sebastian said as he lied back down with a smile as I gave him a worried look. “S-Seb why would you want that? Aren’t you happy here?” I said as I poked his face when he rolled his eyes. He turned to face me and said, “Come on Irena just think about it. I am the prince of The Pure Hollow Kingdom, I am next in line for the throne,everyone loves me and I have super strength!” “I rolled my eyes and said, “Your point Sebastian.” He groaned and said, “I am saying that I have all this power and I feel empty and lost….maybe we could have our happily ever after if we find that rose.” I sighed and turned to face the ceiling. “There's always a catch, Sebby, so care to tell me what it is or are you going to leave me in the dark.” I said as I let out a deep breath. Sebastian then got up from the bed and said, “I need to take a shower and get an early start.” I sigh and mumbled, “Guess I am being left in the dark again…” 

As I roamed the castle walls, I saw Sebastian arguing with one of the guards. The guard quickly nodded and ran off in a hurry. “Seb are you pulling pranks on the guards without me!” I said as I walked towards him. Sebastian had a stressed look on his face and said, “No sadly, father and mother left again for a business deal across sea leaving me in charge of everything once again. That means half of the guards are with them, leaving the rest here and a mess of a schedule.” I sighed and gave Sebastain a pat on his shoulder. “Well Sebastian maybe they want you to be ready to take over the kingdom and make you a fit ruler.Your already a great warrior” I giggled as Sebastian rolled his eyes. “That the thing Irena, everything comes so easily and people see the image I put up. The strongest handsome and fierce soon to be king. I want the people to see me like you do.” Sebastian said as he began to walk away. I quickly caught up and said, “You mean the annoying, lazy, crazy and ugly prince.” Sebastian sighs and says, “Is that truly what you think of me?” He gave me a sad look and I sighed. “Sebastian, you're my best friend when did you even care what people thought of you?” He stopped and opened a door and went in. When I entered I saw a huge library filled with stories itching to be told. “When I began reading these books about me, most of them are true while others aren’t true but hurtful.” Sebastian said as he began walking towards the back. I followed him and said, “Seb is that the only reason you want to find this rose, because others have different opinions about you?” He scoffed as he stopped to face me. “You just don’t get it Irena! I-I-I don’t even know who I am anymore. I need a restart on life.” Sebastian said as he began walking to the back again. I rolled my eyes and followed him. Once we were at the back he went to one of the shelfs and pulled an old dusty book out. As he blew off the dust causing me to cough. “Oh sorry about that.” Sebastian said as he opened the book. “It's fine, is this the famous book about the white rose?” I said as I moved closer to see it. He quickly shut the book and said, “Yeah...um why?” As I moved more closer causing him to step back. “Sebastian, what does the book say?” I stated as I stopped moving towards him. He took a deep breath and said, “ It is about an enchanted white rose that could give you a whole new world, meaning an escape from this one.” I groaned and shouted, “YEAH I KNOW THAT SEBASTIAN BUT THERE IS ALWAY A PRICE TO PAY! SO CARE TO TELL ME WHAT THAT PRICE IS MARTINEZ!” Sebastian took a deep breath and walked right by me. I quickly turned and scoffed. He stopped in his tracks and turned around and said, “I will tell you the price when it's time, but I need to know if you are with me or not. You're my best friend, Irena and I need you to trust me please.” I sighed and said, “I trust you Sebastian, but I am not liking this.” He smiled and held his hand out. As soon as I grabbed his hand, he pulled me towards his chest. “Thank you!You are truly the only friend I have ever needed.” I chuckled and said, “Oh please I am your only friend, remember I am the only one that sees you for you. He rolled his eyes as I gave him a wink. “Let go, you weirdo.” Sebastian said as he began walking off. I took a deep breath and sighed. I followed Sebastian, hoping the price he was willing to pay was worth it for a new world.

Sebastian and I were out of the kingdom looking around for the dock. “How do you not know where the dock is! This is your kingdom Seb!” I whisper-shouted. He rolled his eyes and said, “How do YOU not know where the dock is, you basically lived here for your whole life!” I rolled my eyes and said, “Then let's ask for direction, I am pretty sure someone here knows where the dock is!” Sebastian scoffed and said, “Fine but I am pretty sure no one would know where it is if we can’t find it. “ I rolled my eyes and saw a small old man at his booth, he was selling custom plates. “Bingo come on Sebby.” I said as I walked up to the man booth. “Hello Sir, we are looking for the docks, do you know where that is?” I said as I put my hands behind my back. He kept looking at Sebastian like he was waiting for something. “Oh um….do you know where the docks are sir?” Sebastian asked nervously as I tilted my head. “Ah….yes sir, go straight over the bridge then take a left and right there is.” the old man said as he pointed in the direction. Sebastian nodded and gave the man some coins and walked off. I looked at the old man then followed Sebastian. “What wrong Irena?” Sebastian asked. I gave Sebastian a weird look and said, “The man basically acts like I wasn’t there and answered you but not me. Isn’t that weird.” Sebastian burst out laughing as I gave him a frown. “Irena relax, the dude obviously was shocked that he was talking to the prince, I would not notice you either if I was in the presence of royalty.” I scoffed and said, “Well that's rude he should have at least answered me, psh whatever.” Sebastian grabbed my hand and began dragging me towards the dock. Once we got to the dock, Sebastian began loading a small dinky boat. “Really we are leaving in that thing, you better hope I don’t drown. I don’t know how to swim.” I said as Sebastian stepped into the boat. “I-I-I got you Irena come on.” He said as he held out his hand. I hesitantly grabbed it and sat in the boat. “See your fine, now you are going to drive while I give you direction.” Sebastian said as he opened the book. I rolled my eyes and turned on the engine for the boat. “Whatever you say Seb, just tell me where I am going so we can get this over with, you have a kingdom to run and I don’t think your royal advisor could keep up for that long.” I said as I began driving and Sebastian taking a deep breath. “Where are we even heading, can you at least tell me that?” I asked as I looked over my shoulder. Sebastian gave me a small smile and said, “Hmm are you scared, because that would be a first.” I stuck my tongue at him and said, “Shut up I am not scared!Psh please I am Irena Valerie De La Rosa Perez the fearless strongest female warrior of all time.” Sebastian rolled his eyes and said, “Irena, please you could barely kill a spider without screaming and throwing stuff at it.” Sebastian began laughing as I shudder. “I have a phobia of spiders, it is a thing and I swear they are evilly smart and could take over the world at any moment.” Sebastian began laughing more as he clutched his stomach as I rolled my eyes. As I focused on the water, I began to see an Island of some sort. It was a large forest and bits of bits of ruins. “S-S-Seb is that what we are looking for?” Sebastian stopped laughing and slowly stood up causing the boat to tip. “SEBASTIAN SIT DOWN, YOU GONNA TIP US OVER!!!” I shouted as I felt my chest rising out of my chest. “Oh sorry Irena, but yeah that it. Get the boat up there so we can get out.” Sebastian said as he slowly sat back down. I took a deep breath and said, “You could have killed us and I would have haunt you if you survived.” Sebastian stayed quiet as if I had said something wrong. “Y-Y-Yeah right….I wouldn’t….just shut up and drive the boat.” Sebastian said as he began looking at the book. 

Once we got close to the island, Sebastian got off first and helped me off. “Thanks, so where are we going and what is the price you have to pay?” Sebastian glared at me as I gave him a smirk. “Just follow me and whatever you do Irena don’t eat, touch, say or do anything without asking me first.” Sebastian said as he began walking off. “Yes your royal highness,” I said as I gave him a little bow. He turned and said, “Irena I can never take you anywhere let go.” I giggled and walked towards him. I booped his nose and said, “Whoops, I touched something without your permission.” I burst out laughing as Sebastian rolled his eyes. He then grabbed my wrist and began pulling me as I laughed so much my lungs began to hurt. After a bit of laughing and making fun of Sebby, we were at one of the ruins that looked like it was brand new. “Woah why does this one look so ancient and new while the others look so beat up and bleh.” I said as I poke Sebastian's face again. Sebastian then grabbed my hand and said, “Stop poking me and hold my hand. I don’t know how dangerous this is gonna be so please don’t do anything dumb.” He gave me a sincere look as I sighed. “Fine, I will be a good poor little best friend servant.” Sebastian rolled his eyes and we walked into the ruin together. As we walked in torches that were hung up on the wall had magically lightened up. I grabbed onto Sebastian's arm and whispered, “Y-Y-You know I think I will wait o-o-outside or maybe head back to the kingdom.” Sebastian pulled me closer to where now I was hugging his torso and his arm was wrapped around me. “Don’t worry Irena I got you.”Sebastian said as we began to walk down the hall. I gulped as I looked at my surroundings making sure we came out of this alive. We saw a room that above it said, “Trandafirul alb pentru o lume nouă, (The White Rose for a new world).” Sebastian took a deep breath and stopped before entering. I let go of him and turn to him. I titled my head and he sighed and  said, “There is a price you have to pay and I know you want to know what that is.” I took a deep breath and said, “Yeah what is the price Sebby? Why was this surprising easy if this white rose is so valuable?I know for a fact that you couldn’t be the only one that knew about the rose, so tell me why has no one else ever tried this before if it is so easy to get to the white rose?” Sebastian took the book from his bag and handed it to me. “Read pages 34 to 35, section 3 Sarcifice and Value.” Sebastian said as I began flipping through the book. “ In order for a person to reach the enchanted white rose, they must have these creditabilites.” I said as I looked up at Sebastian whose face was nervous. “This person must be the heir of their kingdom, have a reason for not wanting to be in this world no more, have a super power, had lost a loved one, and have brought a true friend with them.” I said as I looked up at Sebastian who had a blank face. “I am sorry Irena, but I have to do this.” He said as he ran into the room. I read the book again and my eyes widened in shock. I quickly dropped the book and ran inside the room. Sebastian was climbing the stairs towards the rose. “SEBASTIAN DON’T DO THIS! YOU HAVE THE WRONG REASON TO SACRIFICE EVERYTHING. YOUR GIVING UP YOUR LIFE, YOUR PARENTS, YOUR PEOPLE! IS THAT TRULY VALUABLE FOR WHAT A NEW WORLD!” I shouted as I tried catching up to him. I felt tears already dripping down as I saw him already at the top. He was staring at the rose as I got up. “Sebastian….please, don’t do this…..are you willing to give up everything?” I said as I slowly moved closer to him. He turned to look at me and said, “They will die peacefully Irena, I read the book once I give it up they will go peacefully.” I was shocked at his response. “WHAT ABOUT ME SEBASTIAN I AM YOUR BEST FRIEND THE ONE WHO STOOD BY YOU AND LOVE YOU! HOW ARE YOU GOING TO LET ME DIE LIKE THAT AFTER EVERYTHING.” I said as I stopped in my tracks clouded by tears in my eyes. “I CAN DO IT BECAUSE YOUR DEAD IRENA, YOUR NOT ALIVE! I SAW YOU DIE IRENA!” Sebastian shouted as I slowly looked up. “W-W-What?” I said with so many mixed emotions. “YOUR DEAD IRENA, YOU BEEN DEAD FOR 3 YEARS. YOU DIED IN THE WAR. THE REASON THE OLD MAN DIDN’T SEE YOU IS BECAUSE YOUR DEAD. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY YOU ARE HERE OR HOW YOU ARE ABLE TO TOUCH THINGS IRENA, BUT YOU DIED!” Sebastian shouted as he grabbed the rose and held it in his hand as I looked away. “Well what are you going to do now? You got what you wanted, but at what cost.” I said as I slowly turned my head towards Sebastian. He was lost in thought as he held the white rose in his palms looking down at it. “Was it worth losing everyone just for a new world?” I said as I stood in front of him and he slowly looked up. “I still got you don’t I? It was a price I was willing to pay because now I can escape from all this power and live for once with you.” Sebastian said as he took the white rose in one hand and held it close to his face. “We  are ready to go……” 

As soon as I opened my eyes I knew I wasn’t in the kingdom no more, but Irena was gone. She was supposed to be with me, all this was for her…….did it not work…....no…...! “Sebastian?” I quickly turned around and there she was alive. “Irena…..”

April 06, 2021 15:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.