2 comments

Asian American Fantasy Suspense

I am not here. I am not here. I am not here. I am not here.

I keep on chanting the same thing on and on to make myself invisible from the current situation I am in. But to my dismay, it did not works. I am not there anymore.

" You are going to be sorry for being here today, kiddo. Maybe next time you will remember. " And he laughed, showing his rotten teeth and smelly breath.

" But, I forgot to tell you. There will be no next time, because this is your last time staying, and alive.." He laughed wickedly and starting to walk towards me. As he's getting nearer, I am out of option. I need to do something. Quick.

" Alexis dear, don't be afraid. I am going to unite you with your father in a few moment. You sure miss him, am I right?" He spotted my small movement and starting to sway his knife to me and smiling.

When his knife is going to hit me, something flashed brightly. But, just to be clear, why i can't move freely is because he tied me up.

The flash turn up to be me. The other me, from the world I went during my sleep.

"Alexis! Get up." He started to fight off the man with his sword swaying by itself. He took my hand and i know, this is not me. This is Alex and he is going to save me from the wicked man.

The fight keeps on happening but we already leave the scene, luckily. As we run, I can barely hear, the clanking sounds from the fight and only then I can breath freely.

We stopped and I am on the floor. Panting and coughing heavily.

" Are you nuts? You could have been hurt." He or Alex said to me, while I keep my stare on the floor. Avoiding the guilt and the mistake that I had done this time.

" I, I, I, ...." I'm stuttering the words as it was my fault from the beginning. I can barely look at him, I did what any girls could do, crying. I cried and cried till he come too me. He looks at me on the eye and hug me tighter than anyone ever does.

" Why, Alexis. Why?" He said to me. I look away and says, quietly.

" I want to be like you." Finally, I said it. My tears keep on falling and it made me feels so weak in front of him. He hugs me even tighter and wipe my tears away with his bare hands.

He exhales deeply.

"You don't have to be me, my dear Alexis. You are already wonderful by your own." He soothed me with kind words and it made me relaxed. I know what I did was stupid but, it's not when everything should have gone as I planned. When it didn't, there I was, being tied up by the one that supposed to tie at the first place.

"Let's go, your mother is so worried when you are not in your room." He said and starting to get up.

" Wait, what. Did you go to my house?" I asked him and he just smile.

" I am at your house, dear. I lived there but just in another dimension." He said and I hesitated. He knew?

" So you know everything?" I blink at him, shockingly.

" Yeah, and I just leave you for a second and pop you are gone. That is when everything feels wrong. I knew I had to find you. And here I am. " I look at him in disbelief and release my frustration sigh loudly.

"Wow, that's frustrating to hear." He laughed and I am embarrassed with myself even more.

" That's okay Al. What's important now is you are save and sound by my side." He said while hugging me from the side. I am still shocked by the fact that he knew. But maybe I am lucky that he knew as I am not going to be alive if he didn't.

The night ends with me, wanting to be him and turns out hideously as I almost get myself killed by some psycho. I reached home and being welcomed by my mother's hug and tears.

"Where have you been, you young lady. I have been calling you for ages and you are not in your damn room." My mom said and i let myself being scolded for a while and call it a night.

" You know, you are brave Alexis. Maybe when the time will come, you can be me. " I heard Alex said and I falls into a deep sleep afterwards.

I woke up with sweats covering my whole body, I sat up straight and looks around for any intruders. Luckily there's none. I had a dream where I was still fighting with the man from the night before and in that dream, I am Alex.

The fight went as smoothly as it can be but all of sudden, I see myself, picking up a knife and went towards Alexis, which is me. I tried to stab myself and I did. After that, I smiled wickedly and leave the scene behind.

I woke up when my mother came to Alex and scold him, as me to stab her daughter. She rants some harsh words and decided to chase Alex to side of the cliff. He falls and I woke up.

" Thank goodness, what a dream." I sigh and let myself getting ready for the day. I have school to go to.

" Hey, Alexis. " I turn around to see who's calling me and I feel something on my stomach. Something cold and sharp, I can feel it getting deeper as the assault tried to pull me to him.

" Have a good dream, dear." And then, my world when dark. I can feel myself falls to the ground and screams are heard. I am no longer here.

" Alexis, oh my. Wake up! Someone's rocking me back and forth. And for the second time, I woke up again.

"Mother, where am I?" I asked, looking so hysterical at the moment.

" You are home, sweetheart. Get up, you made me worried there, screaming and all. Breakfast's ready." With that she walks out of my room, leaving me dumbfoundedly on the bed.

" What in the world." I look around for any strange things. There's someone looking at me in the mirror. Its Alex, because he came out and sit in front of me.

" Alexis, wake up!" He said and I wake up once more. To a real world, my world. Where Alex is not here and I am Alexis Carrion.

August 19, 2021 02:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Sue Marsh
20:30 Aug 20, 2021

Farah thank you for the lovely remark about One Moment In Time. I enjoyed your story a great deal. Keep writing, Sue

Reply

Show 0 replies
E.C. Nickelson
01:52 Aug 21, 2021

That....That was not what I expected. A dream within a dream within a dream within a dream. Reminds me of a movie I once saw, just completely different storyline.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.