3 comments

Friendship Suspense Mystery

"Zoe?" Lucy whispered, shattering the silence. 

"Yes?" I answered reluctantly. 

"Please tell me what it looks like,"

I opened my eyes for the first time that night, "It's dark out, I can't see," 

"I can't either," 

"I know," 

More silence. 

"Please?" 

I paused. "It's nice out,"  

"Zoe-" She pulled away from me, her hair cascading over her face. Of course, it didn't bother her.

"I know, I know," My eyes flashed to our surroundings, "It's night," I noted. 

"Even I know that," Lucy's voice cracked, "Please Zoe, I want to see,

“You don’t need to see,” 

"Easy for you to say," She said bitterly. 

"Fine," I allowed. I placed my hand over my eyes. "Now I can't see," 

I felt as her hand skimmed over mine, confirming what I already told her, "How does that change anything?" 

I didn't answer. 

“Are you still mad at me?” She asked tenderly. 

“Yes,” I admitted, shifting uncomfortably on the wet grass. I could have gone to the party, I could have hung out with Jack, but instead…

“I’m sorry, I don’t feel comfortable going to that party,” she cut right to the chase. 

“But why? I would have been there with you, no one would have-”

“I’m not worried about the bullying,” her voice got softer. 

“Then what could you possibly-”

“Because I can see ghosts,” she blurted out.

What?” 

“I-I can see them, and that house is full of them, they’re everywhere,” she started to tremble. 

“What are you talking about? You can’t see ghosts, Lucy, you can’t see anything,” I refrained from seeing the b-word, my anger was boiling. The reason I had not gone to the party was that Lucy thought she could see ghosts. 

“Why don’t you believe me?” I could hear the hurt in her voice. 

That was it, “Because your blind Lucy,” The word slipped from my lips before I could stop it. I watched as she recoiled like I slapped her, I might as well have. She folded in on herself, wrapping her arms around her knees. I opened and closed my mouth like a fish.

I was so mad at myself, “I’m sorry Lucy,“

She didn’t answer. 

“Ok..fine I believe you,” 

Lucy’s head snapped up with a sudden burst of anger, her misty eyes somehow finding mine, “No, you don’t” her teeth bared, “Don’t lie to me, don’t even try, I can tell,”

I sat there, shocked at her sudden outburst, I tried again, “if you really think you can see ghosts, I trust you, Lucy!” 

“Oh? Really! Do you now?” Her voice leaked malice, I stared at her, speechless, “Go to the party then Zoe,” I could hear the truth shining in her words, she wanted me to go. 

So I did.

It seemed only five minutes later that I was standing at the door of the Petersons’ house. I knocked loudly. It wasn’t much of a house, more like a mansion. The Peterson’s inherited the house, I didn’t know much of the history, something told me that Lucy did. 

“Oh hi!” Molly Peterson smiled at me from the door, her auburn hair braided intricately behind her head. “Thanks for knocking, the last kids that were here just walked on in,” she laughed softly and waved for me to enter.

I have been to this house countless times, me and Molly were good friends. She led me to the living room. 

“Wow,” I breathed. The living room was alive. Halloween music played in the background as countless people twirled around on the makeshift dance floor, everyone was in costume...I felt underdressed. I fiddled nervously with the ends of my vampire dress wondering what Lucy would have worn. 

Molly nodded, “I know, my mom went insane with the decorations,” 

I agree fully, seeing the array of pumpkins and cobwebs that coated the whole place. 

“I think I hear the doorbell, I’m going to go see who that is…” Molly vanished into the crowd.

“Zo!” My eyes snapped up at a familiar nickname, Jack bounced across the room. His dirty blonde hair dancing with him. 

“Jack!” I glanced at his clothes, “Nice pirate costume,”

“It was but then Oak took my eyepatch,” He frowned but shrugged, “I like your vampire costume too,”

I let out a breath of relief, “I was worried that no one would know what I was,” 

“I think the fangs pretty much sold it,” 

I ran my tongue over the plastic teeth subconsciously, “I’m glad,” 

He glanced behind me, “Where’s Lucy?” 

I felt a strange pang in my chest, “She didn’t want to come,” 

Jack tutted, “Oak will be upset,” A strange look crossed his face. 

“Is something wrong?” 

“Nothing,” He hesitated glancing over his shoulder, “Oak’s just being...weird,” 

“What the ghost got him?” I muttered under my breath, “I’m sure he’s just nervous, he’s not exactly a party animal,” 

“That he is not,” Jack laughed. 

Molly pushed herself through the crowd, “I swear to god someone ding dong ditching us...that's the second time the doorbell rang and no one was there,” 

“They are probably just jealous that they are not at this awesome party,” My attempt at humor fell flat. I swear I heard it hit the ground. 

I quickly excused myself and darted in a random direction.  

I spotted someone familiar and let out a breath of relief, “Oak,” I said recognizing the back of his head. 

“Zoe!”

He turned around and faced me, and I laughed, “why are you wearing two eye patches? How can you even see?”

He stared at me quizzically, his head turned to the side and he nodded, “Haha, very funny,” He looked behind me like Jack had, it looks like everyone thought the same thing. I had more pressing matters on my mind, how did he know where to look?

I decided not to say anything “Lucy’s not here,” They acted like she was my human shadow. 

His eyebrows furrowed, he looked especially odd with his eyepatches, “Are you sure about that?” 

“Zoe,” I heard a familiar voice, something was off about it, “Zoe!”

Lucy slammed into me, her arms wrapping around me in a hug, “L-Lucy?” 

“Lucy!” Jack waved at her. 

I had never seen Lucy more afraid in my life. 

Her pink cheeks lost their color. Her misty eyes looked especially menacing, hatred formed in every line of her face. 

“Run,” she breathed, her hands suddenly became less of a hug and more of a threat, “RUN!” 

She sprinted in the other direction, the crowd splitting to let her through, “Lucy!” I yelled after her. I followed her. Of course, I did. 

How did she know where she was going? 

What was going on here? 

“Lucy!” I called after her, I wasn’t sure if she even heard me. She raced through the house and tore out the door spinning wildly and side-tackling me into another hug. 

“Did she get you? Lucy’s hand fumbled over my face, “DID SHE GET YOU?” 

“WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?” I pushed her backwards, holding her face between my hands. 

“Do you believe me yet?” She whisper-asked. 

“About what?” 

“The ghost,” She started shaking.

What? “No!” I flare my nostrils, “I didn’t see anything and you most certainly did not!” 

“THAT'S BECAUSE YOUR NOT BLIND!” Lucy roared. 

My brain felt melted, all the events that had happened fried it, “That doesn’t make sense,  Lucy,” I was desperate for answers, this wasn’t possible. 

“You saw Oak,” Lucy’s voice cracked, “That’s proof enough, he can see her,” 

“I-”

No

This wasn’t possible. I replayed the scene. His constant eye contact, his glance behind me, him turning his head as if listening to someone…

No,” 

“Yes, ‘only the blind can see’” A tear rolled down her cheek, “Now Oak is blind,” 

“No,” This wasn’t right, “No! That’s not...it can't-” 

“It’s how I went blind,” 

I froze, “What?” It was true, I never knew the real reason why Lucy went blind, it seemed rude to ask...

“Yes,” Lucy closed her eyes. “She’s the last thing I saw,”

“Please tell me,” I begged, “What’s her name? The ghost that took your vision,” 

“Melanie,”  

Melanie? 

“Melanie?” Jack surged through the door, I could see something peeking out of the corner of his eyepatch, a single misty colored eye, identical to Lucy’s. 

I believed her.

October 24, 2020 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Daniel Roueche
02:49 Oct 29, 2020

I really liked the very last line: “I believed her.” It was the perfect way to end the story and gives the reader a chance to imagine what happens next. I did get a bit confused during the party scene but the concept was great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:33 Oct 25, 2020

Nice work on this. :) The beginning was well done, and quickly oriented us to the necessary facts without sounding over done. A few things that could've been better... First, the writing is a bit scattered during the party scene. Perhaps try to block more lines together into larger, more cohesive paragraphs? ;) Second, this story stuck me as an "in-the-middle" type of story. It's not quite creepy enough for a spook story (not enough tension built in the small time tension building is available). And, it's not quite philosophical eno...

Reply

Lee Doe
13:20 Oct 27, 2020

Ok, thanks for the advice! I knew this story was a little far-fetched, this is not my forte to say the least. I appreciate the advice on following more people, I will definitely try that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.