2 comments

General

When Auriel completed her studies she was bemused at her life, she never expected her days would be even better than her expectations. Auriel stepped into a new world after her college life, a field where neither had any godfather nor anyone to guide. If anything it was a constant reminder from her relatives, reminding her that she took the wrong career, that she is just like her father. When a boy clears his college life he will be expected to find a job, maintain his family, advance in his career. But when the time comes for a woman, the society would want her to build a family foremost, she would be expected to build her career through her husband. Even in the 21st where women empowerment and feminism is the wide accepted movements the society itself imposes a restriction upon her. Who causes these restrictions? who decides these limits for a woman?, When in every step, she only desires a single support and for Auriel it was her mother. Her pillar of strength to mover forward. In spite of the constant contemplations, she forged her own path, and today after 10 years of her struggling life she was all set to start her own law firm. In a field that values age and gender more than talent, this was the biggest achievement, the days of misery and pain were talks of the path. She has become the face of modern women's power. Every relation of her life would be present there to witness her win.


Auriel received over thousands of emails praising and congratulating her from everywhere. During a point of time, these emails addressed her as a floozy woman, someone they wanted to relieve from their life. She was reading through her emails with a fling of elation when she suddenly came across an email from a certain unexpected person. It says, "A well-forged sword is only as strong as the warrior who yields it. The sword however magical is only a piece of iron when used by an unskilled warrior. You are all set to start your own venture now. I wish to speak to you, it's better to seek advice from some experienced person. Meet me at the Oberoi Amervillas restaurant at 8 am. -Dad". Thomas Philips is a renowned entrepreneur with his company around the globe. He often has a plethora of legal advisors at his command, he left Auriel and her mother 30 years ago for a new woman. Auriel despised him ever since, However, she used to daydream a situation where Thomas would come back to her and her mother. The mail brought back her bitter memories, in fact, she wasn't even sure whether this email praising her or just a mockery from her old dearest daddy. She could not ignore the mail, she wanted to meet him, she was also curious to know more about her father. 


Auriel was excited to meet her father, she had prepared a mental questionnaire since the day Thomas abandoned them, even played it out in her mind on how the faq session would go. She began to unfold her baggage of questions before him only to be disappointed with an antithetical reply. Thomas shut her out in a moment saying, 'let the sleeping dog lie, we are here on important work.' In a fraction, Auriel realized that reuniting with her father was only her mental imagination. 'You brought a room for your legal practice right, I presume you know what this is. I want you to sign these papers, they are drafted by my advisors. You won't be finding any mistakes there.' Thomas uttered these words while handing her a share transfer deed. Auriel though hurt was adamant not to show her pain. She signed the deed that transferred her share in the company to her stepmother. She proceeded to leave without a word to her father when Thomas advised her, 'There are those who achieve and there are those who struggle, but only they who inspire will be remembered. That's what makes us different.' And those were the last she ever spoke with her father. 


Days after her meeting Thomas, she started questioning herself. She wanted to reprise him, she forsook her plans to open her own firm. She started to engage herself in PILs, probono cases, and social works. She goes to war sicken countries where she would educate the children, help them survive, represent them before the United Nations. She embarked her knowledge on to future generation. And one day her efforts were recognized, the world honored with Nobel Peace Award. The world looked up to her and her life has inspired millions. During the final hours of her father, she paid him a final visit where she thanked him for the embarrassment and told him about the great minds she forged since the day. 'You made it. I am proud of being your father.' these were his final words when he handed her an old sheet of paper, an old "My Dreams" written by a 5-year-old Auriel. Her father had always kept them hidden in his wallet and the dream of the 5-year-old girl was 'When I grow up I would help everyone and make lots and lots of friends.'. Auriel fulfilled her dreams and when she started to deviate from it with corporate law firm she was brought back by her father's cruel words.


For centuries we have spoken about a mother's sacrifice, her love, compassion, and dedication. They can never be compared nor replaced with anything else. But in the life of a child, the presence of both parents tantamount paramount. They shape their personality. When a mother stands as a constant guide, a father would stand as an obstacle they must overcome, which makes them reach heights far beyond. The strength of a sword is measured by its ability to withstand high-temperature heat for a longer period. In a world where nepotism synonyms the success of the subsequent generation, it is a hardship and obstruction that can bring forth an inspiring generation.

June 24, 2020 11:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Roland Aucoin
00:10 Jul 02, 2020

A good, well-written story, Mrudula. Your word choices deepened the psychological frame of your story, but a few seemed awkward, like 'tantamount paramount', but actually well-played. :) Solid 1st submission.

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
11:25 Jul 16, 2020

I should have proof read at least once before sending. Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I will surely keep that in my mind before submitting my next story. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.