Um, I just thought I would tell you...

Submitted into Contest #163 in response to: Start your story with someone breaking an awkward silence at a family dinner.... view prompt

24 comments

Coming of Age Gay Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

[This story includes gay romance.]

Eddy looked at each face around the dinner table. No one was talking, and it didn’t look like much eating was happening either. The silence was like a storm cloud hanging around the light fixture. Something was indeed brewing. 

He cleared his throat and said the words he’d been practicing for over a week.

“Um, I just thought I would tell you…I think I’m gay.”

The silence was shattered by three voices speaking at once.

“It’s about time you admitted it,” said his sister.

“What? What makes you think that?” said Dad.

“And how does that make you feel, dear?” asked Mom.

With all the questions swirling around the table, Eddy decided to answer his mother first. At least she sounded like she cared.

“Well, I feel like I’m going to burst. This is still new for me. I mean, up until last month, I thought I was straight. But recent events tell me that just isn’t true.”

Dad’s voice hissed, “What recent events would those be?”

Eddy looked at his dad and purposely kept his voice level. “Don’t worry. Nothing happened. It’s just that I’m attracted to one of my classmates. I keep dreaming about him, and I think about him all day.”

“You little perve,” Andrea, his opinionated sister, threw out to the room.

Mom spoke up again, “I understand those thoughts can be disturbing, but they may not mean you’re gay. It could just be a crush of sorts.”

“Trust me, Mom. I know this isn’t a crush. I mean, I’ve never thought about any girl this way. I want to be close to Tom.”

“Tom Astin? He is so out of your league.” Andrea glared at Eddy. “What makes you think Tom’s gay anyway?”

Eddy sighed. “I don’t know if Tom is gay, but I do know I am.”

“I don’t want to hear any more of this at the dinner table. Eddy, you’re excused.”

“I’m not finished eating, Dad.”

“Yes, you are. You are excused from the table and this room. I don’t even want to look at you right now.”

He wasn’t hungry anymore, anyway. In fact, his stomach was turning over and over. This conversation wasn’t easy, and he thought it could’ve gone better. Maybe he should’ve told his mother alone.

Oh well. Too late now. They all know, and I’m officially out.

***

After being sent from the table, Eddy didn’t have much else to do besides reading for his science class. But thinking about the science class made him think about Tom. They shared one of the long tables where four people could sit.

During class, it was all he could do to keep from staring at Tom for the entire fifty minutes.

Those long lashes and perfect skin. The aquiline nose and pouty lips. And then there was the sandy blonde hair. The boy had it all.

Did he even know how beautiful he was? More importantly, did he notice Eddy’s constant gaze? Could there be any chance that he was gay?

One incident that happened just a few weeks ago gave Eddy hope. As usual, he trailed Tom down the hall, and he watched him stop at a locker where another boy was standing.

Tom leaned in and whispered something in the boy’s ear. Instantly, the other boy turned an attractive shade of red. He turned to Tom and a particular look passed between the two boys.

Eddy felt the electricity between them. He felt it in his heart and his loins. Surely it meant Tom was gay. Two guys didn’t look at each other like that unless something was going on. Eddy walked on a cloud for the rest of the day.

He wanted to tell his sister about Tom’s meeting with the other boy but decided he didn’t care what she thought. She’d always been a thorn in his side. Having her for an older sister was no picnic. She was very popular, a cheerleader, and conceited beyond belief.

Finally, Eddy threw his science book on the floor and flung himself on the bed. He allowed himself to think about Tom, and eventually, he fell asleep.

***

When Eddy got to school the next day, he was on the lookout for Tom. He knew Andrea wouldn’t waste any time spreading the word that he was gay, and he wanted to talk to Tom first.

Eddy’s heart leaped into his throat when he spied the sandy hair and chiseled features just a few lockers away.

“Hey, how are you? Do you think…maybe we could talk for a minute?”

Tom’s eyes looked deep into Eddy’s. “Sure, we can talk, pal. What’s up?”

Suddenly, Eddy’s mouth was full of saliva. There was a buzzing in his head, and he didn’t think he could say the words-but only for a moment.

“I think you’re beautiful," Eddy blurted out. "And I was wondering if you’d like to go to the movies with me this weekend.”

Instead of the silence Eddy feared, Tom spoke up right away.

“Thank you. I hoped you'd finally talk to me instead of stealing looks in science class. A movie sounds great. When were you thinking of going.”

Eddy wanted to skip school and go right then and there, but he knew that wasn’t an option. So, instead, he said, “I was thinking about Saturday night. I can borrow my parent’s car and pick you up at, say, six?”

“Sounds great. Let me text you my address. What’s your number?”

Eddy couldn’t believe it. Tom wanted his number. Tom was going to go to a movie with him!

But what if this didn’t mean Tom was gay? No, why would a guy accept a compliment and an invitation to the movies from another guy and NOT be gay?

“Um, my number is 360-555-1216.”

“Got it. Here’s the text. Make sure you save me in your contacts. I think we’ll be talking and texting a lot, huh?”

Eddy smiled. “Sure. I’ll text you tonight so we can talk some more. Will that work for you?”

“Text around seven. That way, I know, I’ll be finished with dinner and away from the ‘rents.”

“Great. See you in science class,” said Eddy.

“You bet, sweetie.”

Sweetie? Aha! Wait until I tell Andrea about all this. She’ll flip.

September 15, 2022 10:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

15:25 Jun 28, 2023

i love your story! Its beautiful and well written. Would you mind taking a look at some of my stories for constructive criticism. I need fresh eyes and lots of help. Im not exactly popular so i need to know what i can do to make my work more appealing to other, how to get it noticed, whilst also being able to keep it the way I LIKE it? -Dylan

Reply

Mustang Patty
11:30 Jun 30, 2023

Hi Dylan! I would be more than happy to take a look at your stories. I will do my best to make suggestions about writing prose and look at your punctuation, too. Let me know if I'm giving you TOO MUCH feedback, ~MP~

Reply

18:12 Jun 30, 2023

awesome thanks so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:58 Feb 26, 2023

What a sweet story. You perfectly captured the feelings of young love. Let's hope the father comes to his senses!

Reply

Mustang Patty
18:11 Feb 26, 2023

Thank you so much. I enjoy these two, and I am outlining a novel about the couple - it really made a hit as the short stories I included here, ~MP~

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:59 Sep 26, 2022

“don’t even want to look at you right now.” I can’t believe there are parents who would say that and worse to their kid just for being gay. It’s awful. If you’re not going to love your kid through thick and thin don’t have one. I was preprogrammed to look for the sting in the tail, waiting for his crush to be a bully luring him into a trap. It’s nice something went well for him after his dad being a caveman moron about coming out.

Reply

Mustang Patty
14:35 Sep 26, 2022

Hi Graham, Thank you for reading...I couldn't have poor Eddy take more abuse than what he got from his own father. Looking for the stinger is a good way to read these stories though - all too often, things keep piling on. ~MP~

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:01 Sep 26, 2022

Will there be a sequel? Everyone seems to want one. The mother seemed less negative at least.

Reply

Mustang Patty
07:35 Sep 27, 2022

...working on it right now - thanks for asking

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:40 Sep 27, 2022

Cool. Leave a link when you upload it.

Reply

Mustang Patty
10:16 Sep 27, 2022

Here's the next chapter: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/ljhiq6/

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
20:35 Oct 05, 2022

Part III of Eddy and Tom's story is now available https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/he6uh2/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sarah Parker
14:41 Sep 21, 2022

I agree with Thom, a second chapter, please!!!! :(

Reply

Mustang Patty
14:45 Sep 21, 2022

Hopefully, I can either make it work with a prompt, or just make a story that I don't submit. Thank you for reading, ~MP~

Reply

Sarah Parker
21:42 Sep 21, 2022

I'm interested in writing a story with gay characters, but I' having trouble finding inspirational prompts. Can you help? Thanks!

Reply

Mustang Patty
09:11 Sep 22, 2022

Hi Sarah, I think you can take any prompt and build it around gay characters - they are just people, after all. ~MP~

Reply

Mustang Patty
10:17 Sep 27, 2022

Hi Sarah, Here's the next chapter in the saga of Eddy and Tom: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/ljhiq6/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
20:36 Oct 05, 2022

Part III of Eddy and Tom is available here https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/he6uh2/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
13:30 Sep 19, 2022

Why do I have a feeling there is going to be a chapter 2? The stage is set, the intrigue is thick, the ending uncertain. I can see this going in any number of directions. Nice job!!!

Reply

Mustang Patty
18:37 Sep 19, 2022

Hi there, Thanks for reading - this one just came at me when I read the prompt. I just may do another chapter or two, ~MP~

Reply

Thom With An H
18:47 Sep 19, 2022

There has to be a chapter 2. Either a happy ending or an awful one. Either would be great.

Reply

Mustang Patty
20:35 Sep 19, 2022

:>)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mustang Patty
10:17 Sep 27, 2022

Here's the next chapter: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/ljhiq6/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.