0 comments

Adventure Happy Sad

The June sunshine was splitting the rocks of the beach on what would be the hottest day of the year and the longest day in June.


There was alot of families and tourist at the beach to soak up the sun and go for a swim before cooling of with a ice cream later.


There was chatter all around the smell of fish and chip filled the air along with the sea salt of the calm sea that shone like glass when the sun rays hit it the waves were soft and calm like the flow of a water fountain.


The sky was clear so much so it blended into the sea below it.


The sand felt warm to walk and felt soft to touch and walk on bared footed, the rocks were rough and smooth to touch.


Those the words that were spoken by a woman named Sarah whom was walking with her friend Mary whom was blind, this meant most of the day was question and answers about who people were, what surfaces felt like and we're the two were at.


Sarah never minded Mary asking so many questions as it made the trip more meaningful and exciting for both her and Mary while doing this ofthen Mary and Sarah would laugh like to kids when discribing things just to bring fun to the moment.


The beach was a regular spot for Sarah and Mary to visit, year after year Mary would ask about Tony and Cassie who own a fish and chip take away she regularly visited while at the beach with her husband Sam whon passed away a few years back.


Mary ofthen remembered she and same talking to Cassie and their young son at the chipper while waiting for their order.


Mary also asked about a old man named Todd who owned a ice palar just up from the peer Mary liked to sit with sam at the end of their trip, much like Tony and Cassie Todd would talk to sam and Mary about how life at the seaside and how he like working his job.


Mart had been blind over 20 years now so did not see all the change around her still Sarah done her best to discribe sorrounding to Mary as she did before.


Sarah herself was a woman in her early 30's had a husband she was married to 10 years and three young kids,

Sarah's parents or husband would look after the kids while she went on the trips with Mary.


Sarah had a job working as a store assistant which had flexible working hours so it was easy to take the time go on trips with Mary of a Saturday.


There were times when Sarah would let Mary stay at her house to help her out when she needed it and most days were filled with Mary telling stories of things she used to do before going blind.


Sarah felt sorry for the poor woman it was hard enough Mary losing her sight and her husband but she was also a woman in her mid 70's who had nobody else to look after or rely on for help.


Mary had a daughter who moved out years back but never kept up the contact or bothered with Mary much so it meant Sarah was given the responsiblity to look after Mary.


But Sarah never complained of this and her children loved hearing Mary talk of stories when she was at the house with them.


After walking along with beach a while Sarah and Mary took a seat to rest a bit and had a tea It was Mary then began asking questions about some of the locals


"You know somthing Sarah there a few people I would like to talk to" Mary spoke like Todd or Tony and his wife Cassie I would be able to tell them all about what happend over the past 20 years with My life".


Sarah was completely taken it back she knew well those people were no longer alive or had moved on but didn't want to say that to Mary as it was upset her deeply.


Sarah felt Mary went throught enought losing her husband 2 years back along with been blind with out hearing the sad news that her friends are not long there.


"You know it funny, how much things change Sarah I may have lost my sight but I still feel how different this place is compare to what it was 20 years back" Mary spoke with saddeness in her voice.


you wouldn't be so kind as to take me to the peer by the beach would you?


After saying that Mary appear to smile with relief to a stunned Sarah who said yes as they had all the time in the world.


The peer had a old chair there just overlooking the sea with was now glowing with orange from the setting sun which seemed to melt into the sky above.


There was a lighthouse in the distance shining along with a passing ship, "My word that same lighthouse Sam took a photo of it's still there I'm so happy" Mary spoke with tears of happiness in her voice.


This was the peer Mary told Sarah Mary about and a regular spot with she and Sam hung to eat fish and chips and take photos before heading home.


Somthing told Sarah that Mary had and idea the place has changed but she didn't want to bring up the matter to Mary just now as she appeared happy to sit at the peer.


"I wonder does Sam know I'm sitting here now" Mary spoke it only seems like yesterday we were together" Mary appeared teary bringing this up to Sarah who calmy listened before responding


"Yes I would say he is the two sat the peer awhile before heading back home as it was now getting late.


"Same time same place Mary" Sarah spoke as she helps Mary into her house "yes and bring the kids the next time wont "no problem Sarah responded as she left for home.



June 18, 2021 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.