Set Ablaze 2, electric boogaloo

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a romance that involves one partner saving the other from a fire.... view prompt

3 comments

Crime Fiction LGBTQ+

My name is Niall. I was just a regular high school student that got bullied a bit for...no apparent reason. I say WAS because that was in the past, now, I'm the most wanted criminal in my town. With my partner in crime, Kyle. Who's honestly the reason we are in this mess.

Since, he set our school on fire.

We called our selves the Kings of Flames, causing havoc left and right for again, no reason. Setting fires on random buildings of people we deemed bad, maybe pick pocketing a few assholes who crossed us.

No matter the reason for our criminal ways, it filled us both with the sense of danger and adrenaline. An addicting poison only slightly stronger than the smell of a burning fire or flying ashes.

It was odd, really. Not only am I suddenly a wanted criminal with my best friend. It ended up being me being a wanted criminal with my boyfriend.

Somehow, I didn't catch that Kyle had a crush on me. It was really out of a blue when he said our first crime together would be a date... It was nice. We set the restaurant on fire, wasn't our plan but Kyle still had gasoline stuck on him.

A few months later Kyle and I are on the run. Staying way out of town in a small house we rented. We wore disguises when we had to go out, making sure not to be recognized but it was overkill. As no one in the area we stayed paid any mind to us.

It was comfortable for a while. Staying at a house with Kyle, nothing really changed. He's just more open to touching and affection...no wait he was always like that. I guess, we just kiss now.

I chuckle at my own inner dialogue and I see Kyle tilt his head curiously at me. We're just chilling on the couch, he was playing a game, and I was just watching. He noticed me chuckling and was repeatedly asking me what I was thinking about.

"Niallll" he whined, falling back onto the couch. "What are you laughing about? Is it cuz I keep failing the level?" he questioned. Causing me to laugh some more. "Nothing Kyle." I responded with a roll of the eye, but he just frowned and continued his game.

We had a routine now, we would wake up in our separate beds each morning. I'd make or buy break fast, and we would take turns going out to buy groceries and supply. It was simple but comfortable...

Until our routine got cut short.

I was napping in my own bed. I had already made Kyle and I breakfast and it was his turn to go out for the day, so I just read a book, got bored and headed back to sleep.

It was a peaceful slumber until I woke up to a familiar scent of smoke and fire. I paid no mind to it at first, thinking Kyle got back and burnt some food again, but it got hotter.

It got hotter and the smell of fire got stronger. I opened my eyes, only to see that the house was set on fire. Flames covered the walls and ceiling. Crackling of flames like laughter could be heard around me. 'What the hell is happening?!' I thought panicky.

Thinking at first, 'Kyle got too excited and managed to set fire to the house', until I heard the sound of police sirens. Wee woo Wee woo, over and over again. Shit, they found us.

And I guess as a sick revenge they wanted to get back at us by setting the house on fire. Last I checked that isn't exactly legal. I rushed out of bed and ran out of my room. Avoiding the harsh flames that tried to lick at me as I crossed the hall.

The rest of the room was burning, the living room is already in ashes and the kitchen seems to just be fuelling the fire...

Fuel? FUEL! shit- KABOOM

A large sound of a thunderous boom shook the floor, and a sudden rush of heat hit near my face. The car fuel we kept in the house caught fire and exploded just near me. Causing me to step back in shock and fear.

I tried crawling on the ground, avoiding the ever lasting smoke that makes me suffocate in this room. I see the door is covered in flame, I can't get out through the front. The windows are locked, I won't be able to grab a key and get out in time.

I'm trapped, in a prison of a fire I used to control. What irony.

I can feel the heat rise, and my sweat drop. I'm losing oxygen, and the fire is getting too close for comfort.

I feel myself cough, my throat burning from inhaling the sickly black smoke. Where's Kyle? He should be back by now... Maybe he ran? Or maybe was already caught. God, I can't think with all this smoke. I'm getting light-headed.

I don't want to die. Not like this at least. Not to a poisonous smoke, not to a fiery death. I thought I promised to die old with Kyle or some cheesy shit he said to me once...

I can't stop coughing, it hurts so much. My eyes start to water, tears attempting to wash my eyes from the ash that tries to blind me. But then suddenly I hear a loud thud, and then a crash.

I look up with watery eyes, to the roof all of a sudden collapsing. I scream in fear as I turn and run from the debris. It's starting to get easier to breath though, The smoke is only starting to clear slightly. I blink my eyes to see a figure standing among the debris, dusting off their knees and looking around.

They spot me and I recognize that toothy grin…" Niall-" "KYLE!" I called out and rushed forward, he grabbed onto me, and we climbed through the broken roof, and he started leading me as we ran, hearing cop cars follow.

I cough a few more times before turning my head towards Kyle. "Kyle! Thank god, I thought I'd die in there." clinging onto him for dear life. He just smiled at me, "Yeah me too. Good thing I got in there in time! The house was totally lit up and I could only get in through the roof." he explained proudly.

"How did you know to break a roof?" I chuckled dryly, throat still scratchy from the smoke. "Oh I didn't, I just hit a spot and it was weak, so I hit it again and fell." he said sheepishly.

"You're the reason either of us are wanted criminals and yet you never stop surprising me to prove you are an absolute idiot." I deadpanned.

Kyle only pouted "Ah, but I'm YOUR idiot remember?"

"Unfortunately." I kissed his hand gently before we continued to run .

THE END

October 20, 2020 15:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Barbara Burgess
16:08 Oct 29, 2020

Hello Lucinda, I enjoyed your story immensely. A bit like Bonnie and Clyde! Having seen a local young lad setting fire to stuff and then calling the fire brigade it rang true for me! Just a little error 'I had already made Kyle and I breakfast and it was his turn to go out for the day, so I just read a book, got bored and headed back to sleep.' It should read Kyle and ME' (I made my breakfast - as opposed to - I made I breakfast) A jolly good story and a fun read. Well done.

Reply

Lucinda Serenity
00:31 Oct 30, 2020

I'm glad you Liked it! I'm still working on my writing and since this was ment to be a one shot I rushed the writing prosses. I'll keep in mind that grammar error.

Reply

Barbara Burgess
08:29 Oct 30, 2020

A jolly good story - keep writing and here's to your success!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.