3 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. We had been in the middle of summer and now suddenly the leaves were red and orange, with a hint of yellow and brown in them. Arkansas weather had to be the most bipolar state in the world if the temperature had dropped from 90 to 70 degrees. 

“This is scientifically impossible,” Kyler grumbled next to me as he wrapped his arms around himself for warmth. 

“Arkansas IS scientifically impossible,” I replied with a wince. The wind began tearing the leaves off the trees making them almost bare with a few fire color ones left, making them glow with red. 

“Amara,” Kyler began but I had gotten lost in thought. Pumpkins lined the neighbors' driveways including our own. My mother decided to do an orange and white pattern for ours. “Amara.”

“Hm,” I reply still not fully listening. 

“Look,” he had picked up a leaf. It was completely white as if frost had covered it. Yesterday the leaves had been green, today they had turned red, and now they were turning white. “What’s going on?” 

“You’re the scientific genius, you tell me,” I took the leaf from him. It truly was white. 

“As I said, it’s scientifically impossible,” he gave me a sidelong look. 

“Let’s not worry about it,” I shrug it off. Knowing Kyler he would worry about it because that was just in his nature. “Listen,” I whisper. I ran through the leaves, making them crunch under my feet. 

“What are you doing?” He laughed. 

“It’s an early fall let’s enjoy it!” I shout as I continue running. “Pretty leaves, cider, comfy blankets.”

“Pumpkins, fires,” Kyler added. 

“Cool days, warm nights,” we laugh together as he caught up. 

“We love you fall,” we said together and wrap our arms around each other’s waists for warmth. 

“Imagine flying in a plane right now,” Kyler wondered out loud. 

“Why?” I ask confused. 

“Then we could see all of this,” a wave towards the trees. “It would be beautiful, just like you.” A kiss, on the top of my head, made me smile up at his six-foot form. 

“I can’t wait to be able to read by the fire,” I sighed happily. 

“Oh don’t forget the maple scented candles bath and body works comes out with,” Kyler reminded. The local 4-H was already out decorating the street lamps with white Christmas lights that had fake fall leaves glued to them. “Did you know they were doing a free mug craft even tomorrow night? We should go.” 

“You’re the only one who keeps up with that stuff,” I leaned against him as we continued our walk down the street. 

“So... it’s a date?” He questions. 

“I would never pass up a date with you,” we had stopped at the end of the street where a bench was located and sat down to observe more leaves that were falling. Kyler’s demeanor suddenly changed back to seriousness. 

“What if the end of the world is coming soon,” he whispered. 

“If it is, I’m glad I will be able to spend it with you,” our eyes locked then. A smile appeared on both of our lips as we leaned in closer. 

“Hey, pumpkin!” My cousin Huntleigh skipped up to us. “No kissing, it’s public indecency!” Kyler and I groaned as we both turned to give her a death glare. 

“It’s your season Pumpkin!” Huntleigh twirled around as the fire leaves fell all around her. I had gotten the nickname pumpkin when I was five, an age where I had gone all out for the Autumn season, and have since then. 

“It sure is,” I say cheerfully. “Did you need something?” 

“Did you forget?” Her tone became hurt. 

“You forgot?” Kyler said in an equally hurt tone. 

“How dare I, an imperfect human being, forget the tradition of walking down the trail on the first sign of fall!” I gasped dramatically and fell against Kyler’s shoulder with a hand over my eyes. Huntleigh grabbed both of our arms and began pulling us to her car that was parked only a few feet away. 

“Who calls shotgun?” She asked. 

“Me!” I chirp and hop into the passenger seat while Kyler sits in the middle of the back. 

Thirty minutes later we reached the trail and hopped out. Kyler to my right and Huntleigh to my left we walked down the dirt road and watched as more leaves fell at an oddly fast pace. At one point we saw a barn owl preening its feathers on a low, bare, branch. 

“It’s sweater weather already, and it’s just the first day!” Huntleigh exclaimed and started walking close to me. 

“It’s so weird,” Kyler worried again. 

“Babe,” I sigh impatiently. “It’s ARKANSAS, remember?” He only gave a nod, staying silent for the rest of our walk. 

The sun shone brightly through the leaves as we reached the end of the trail where a small farm was. They did a seasonal pumpkin patch and a corn maze that we walked through every year and bought white pumpkins to bake into pies. 

“I don’t feel good,” Kyler announced suddenly. “Can we do this another day?” Huntleigh looked disappointed but nodded anyway, so we turned around and made the trek back. As soon as we got in the car Kyler leaned over and flipped to the local news station. 

“The answers to all of your questions are being answered, folks! Due to global warming, the quick seasonal change is a disaster..” Kyler and I exchanged glances. He had been right, something had been wrong and I had ignored his concerns. 

“Kyler..” I began. 

“Everything’s fine?” He finished with a sigh and sat back. I reached a hand back to him, he took it with a squeeze and a sad smile. 

“I love you,” I whisper and look down. 

“I love you too,” he brought my hand up to his mouth and gave it a light kiss. 

“God will know what’s best,” we both smiled at each other. Through thick and thin, God always had the answers. 

October 11, 2020 03:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

03:54 Oct 22, 2020

Hi Macey :-) Reedsy suggested I check out your submission, and give some feedback (I hope my words land softly). This is such a lovely story! Amara and Kyler are such sweet lovers. I love the banter between them, and with Huntleigh too; and I love learning about Arkansas in Fall. You have a nice way of arcing through your story, and I liked the ending - it spoke of two things that would resonate with many (global warming, and faith in a higher being). If I were to say anything to improve your story/writing, it would be: * Where you m...

Reply

Macey Camp
18:52 Oct 22, 2020

OMG THANK YOU!! You are to kind! I will definitely be fixing those errors, and good luck with your stories as well!

Reply

04:49 Oct 23, 2020

Good luck with your stories too, Macey!! Keep up the awesome work!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.