0 comments

Science Fiction Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

The fluorescent dimmed light flickered unbearably in this part of the drop ship. It was so cold in this ship, teardrops and spit could freeze on the spot, just like in the dead of space, there was no warmth nor reprieve from it. 


But what the men and women can complain about? As the ‘contractors’ had shuddered to themselves in their designated seat, with metallic bars that hindered around their flesh bodies. They sat like nice and silent schoolchildren, roughly 10 or 12 metres away from each other.


A expedition of fresh researchers and extractors had recently vanished in a dead colony of two hundred years, the planet, two hundred millennium.


No transmissions, No beacons, No anything.


Just silence in the snowy sandstorm of the planet of oblivion.




And here they were, in a ship, 20,000 KM at the speed of light, regulated life and cryogenic support, bunk beds encapsulating feather like comfort, somewhat decent food that was operated by the well tuned canteen system implanted in the mess hall. Far better then what the slop and garbage they served as ‘rations’ back at home.


In any outworlder traveler or pilots, it was the dream ship, to clock in and out, or leisurely voyage around the Nyxima Galaxy.. 


But where this ship’s destination is not a holiday spot where you gazed at the diamond stars forever still in the misty nebulas or a easy get in and get out job…


This ship, was their vessel to salvation, an extension of their prison just like the titanium laqured, enforced armour, designed to protect them from the harsh and unbearable colonies that humanity had expanded beyond their own ambitions and dreams.


And some of those dreams just like the void blackholes, expectedly collapsed it on itself. So here they were, shifting through the rumbles and ruins of neglect and carelessness, and if their expendable lives had burned out like the dying stars that humanity has taken so much, no hint of grief, pity or even acknowledgement.


Just a question of how fast can they be replaced, and why wouldn't they ask that? After all, they had planets abundances of degenerates, murderers, deserters and the vile villainy that humanity had rapidly produced. 


Whatever one sided contract they draw up for ‘talented’ individuals that would see their life zapped away in the service of humanity then wasting away in a dark damp cell, was nerving, and no doubt, their ‘generous and belovent’ saviours would often throw them into the cold abyss, and 


There’s no second chance of the better self, there’s no some figurative redemption, no spark of any miniscule hope, nothing. 


Just the illusion of freedom which they pursue endlessly.



Callum Nova with jaded verdant eyes, laid back leisurely in his seat, or rather enchained as he observed three new contractors in his care in front of him. What limited movement regarding his neck, cocked in one side to see his second in command, Luci, like him, was staring headfirst at the bubbling tension between the three recruits.


“APPROACHING PLANET’S ORBIT.” Combined with the velvet voice of a siren and the ship’s quickening pace as they felt themselves descending through the opposing atmosphere,



“This remind me of a joke I heard back in Beglusin, two colonies guys in a bar-” The self appointed red haired joker obnoxiously shout loudly, his unbearable voice echoed through the hold



“Just don’t…” The taller man, his face implanted with singeing scars and close calls next to him, breathed heavily, gritting with all his strength to break out and strangle this buffon to death. 


“Oh yes, I forgot, I’m a simple jester with saints and sinners.” The joker glanced to his left, a particularly young woman muttering to herself, wrecked with nerves that engulfed her body, the armour fitting her slim body, laughably sticked out like a sore thumb. Her hand enclasped together in a prayer alike, praying for whatever higher being is out there.


“Oh dear lord, grant us the strength and resilience to bind our flesh with an fraction of the faith you graciously gift us, please hear my prayer.”


And to her misfortune, they connected with black and blue irises together. 


“But a jester can get lucky with ladies of the court.” He winked mischievously, the preacher only shielded away from his gaze, and resided in her incoherent rambling.


“Oh god, you’re disgusting as the vile crap that come out of your mouth, back off” The sinner took a protective tone, Callum was briefed on them, no wonder this ‘protector’ took on the knight role. 


“I’m insulted that your conclusions is the reason I won this holiday trip to the middle of nowhere…” he wildly grinned. 


“Nowhere is where I’ll bury you.” He leaned toward the joker, as staunch forward as he could, restricted by the bars.


“Oh god, no wonder the program is revolutionary, it cull idiots like you and her.” The joker putting holes in the aggressive’s pride.



“Convicts with morals, now that's something beyond us all.” Luci, her chocolate bangs swishing, when turning to Callum, nonchalantly smirking. Risky to first in command, but when you undergo three tours of Tadrigff Rebellions, Banveo Isto, and seven missions of their ‘employer’ after that ‘incident,’ together, the rules of formality blur over time.



“That’s enough! Ellis and Baker, what are you?! seven?!” Callum barked loud, if the petulant schoolchildren shuddered in temporary obedience upon their initial name called, ceasing their petty fights, and just in time for a lecture.


“Believe it or not, we’re expendable in the grand scheme of things, once we set foot, no one up there.” Callum dialled his index finger upward,”give two shits about us, so how we save us the trouble of you killing each other and add more years onto your sentence, and instead, work with each other?”


They stayed silent.



“Remind me again, what was your crime in the NIK Laws?” Callum cooly asked.


Baker if the canary trapped in a spider’s web, stopped squirming, in the presence of his commanding officer, fearful to answer even.


“Transporting illegal cargo.” He put out there.


“Amongst other things…” Callum corrected unbashfully,”40-50 years, I recall.”


Then any condescending judgement that might have come from the snarky Ellis, was shut down.


“You?” Callum sharply changed his attention to the comedian, stunned of any witty lines he could come up with.


So a punchline was settled, straightforward.


“Homicide, 40 to 45 years, wasn't my finest moment.” Ellis declared.


And then to the preacher girl named Felica, who knew the question before it was asked.


“All sort of terrible sins away from his eyes.” Drooping her head in ignominy.


Callum questioned that, he knew the specific, but for now he was satisfied.



‘BEGINNING REGULATED MEASURES OF APPROPRIATE DROP ZONE’


“Find comfort in your brethren.” Callum with no hint of bravado or smooth charisma uttered, yeah the battered dents, stray marking fire and jagged scratches on Callum and Luci’s, compared to the shiny bare armour of the three.



‘DESCENDING INTO APPROPRIATE DROP ZONE’


“Let get this job done..” 



‘ARRIVED AT LOCATION, OPERATING EXTERIOR RAMP”





The confinement unlocked, the bars now moveable, standing and equipping themselves with Repuslors O1 Rifles, Obituary Scanners on their wrist to navigate the colony, who cobbled up their own language.


No distinction were made nor saw regardless of appearance, race, gender or anything when they donned their grey environmental helmet. Only through the transparent hardened material of their face masks, did they see the conflicting emotions of reluctance and despair on their faces, when the ship’s door coiled down, the seething blizzard howled at them, flicker of sharp snow that could have sliced them if not for the armour.



SHIP’S POWER DOWN… IN CONTRACT OF YEFELL INCARNATION DIVISONS… THE SHIP WILL BE INOPERABLE UNTIL MISSION OUTCOME HAS BEEN LOGGED AND ACCEPTED TOWARD THE CHAIN OF COMMAND. 


That was the deal.. and they went on.


It was a treacherous trek to the location, the snow hailing down on them, almost suffocating even with the constant replenishing of O2 in their helmet. 


It wasn't long before they stood at a cliff, awe in what remained in just what barren fields of the dead wasteland laid, a far glimpse from its past majestic self and on the further side, was the colony. 



What remained of it, even in the distance of a few clicks away. The white cladded of various buildings that towered beyond the clouds, or in the shadows of it, were fractured in multiple pieces and crumbled like masterpieces sandcastles from the soggiest foundations. 


"Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep. And decay spreads over the tottering cities of men.” Ellis pipped up, the killer hands shaking his primed rifle a touch nerved. 


“Lovecraft huh?” Callum batted an impressed eye at Ellis, seemly not entirely obsessed with jokes books,“we strayed too far into the universe.”


“Where the hell they send us?” Baker gulped.


“Damnation…”Felica unhelpfully answered.


“Enough with the religion.. he won't help us here.” Luci growled.


Callum hung his rifle downward with one free hand, his arm e straightening up, rigged out with the gauntlet scanner, pointing to the city, 




Popped up a blue hud on the scanner, with strange languages, complied of a codex bustling with 10000 culture and dialects. 


SECTOR NYMERIA GALAXY: ILLOS EYN.


Yet they pushed forward..


————————————————————————————————————————


The footsteps as they huddled through the dead city of ILLOS EYN, muffled by the white blanket sleets up to their quavering knees, served as the only source of sound. Waddling through the eerie wide putrescent advanced streets, with scanners with their artificial golden ray, picking up the blackened language plastered on cracked walls and signs, and translating with ease, such as as ‘general store, payroll or stress relief.’ 



This ancient city dropped off the map and let to rot a long time ago, with no indication or warning. But why the desire to return? Why send a expedition team to a fallen colony that was at best, mining common resources found in multiple galaxies. 



Nonetheless, doesn't do well to dwell on thoughts, as the real issue was the absurdity of this vast city, it would take days to find a trace of the missing expedition team. 


“I suppose they didn't send us directions or anything to go on.” Elias groaned, even his attitude was weening off, just like the morale of this group.


“I’ll call it a day, we’re running around in circles.” Baker exclaimed half heartedly, weary of the already two hour walk around the city.


“You want to report to our ‘employers’ about calling it a day?” Luci spat out at his laziness and unprofessionalism,”They’ll never let us leave this planet.”


“They should have sent a proper team instead of two bit convicts like us to find them, even your boyfriend has no idea where to start…” Baker huffed.


“Don't you dare push it, you of all people should-“ the argument drowned out as Callum, at front of the pack kept scanning for any hint or trace, flaying his scanner wildly for something, just anyth-


And there it was, at the bottom of his feet.. the scanner picked up something, luck or fate.


‘Callum… Seek us, bring us home… bring your peace.’


The red language clashed with the cool blue hud on his scanner, his mind scrunched to handle the striking contrast…


Should he question this malfunction? Should he be concerned?


No…


“On me.” Callum dispassionately ordered, and marched with purpose, leaving the bewildered group to follo the commander.


They couldn't question it, forward into the unknown is all they can do. 


——————————————————————————————————————


It wasn't long before the splitting headaches had set in, all sharing a collective discomfort of their heads drilled from the inside, and out the gaping hole, spilled the dark memories of their deeds.


“It was just a job…” Baker whispered.



“What?” Luci caught on to it despite the yowling winds shouting them down, concerned.


“Nothin.” The cargo man shook his head. 



“Anyone got some pills? Someone just took a sledgehammer to my brain?” Ellis sighed harshly, his knuckles bumping his head or rather the helmet. 


“Oh lord… why must you torture us when we suffer for it every day?” Felica pleaded out of mercy.


Apart from the stoic Callum, their rambling ceased when more of this strange language popped more and more on the streets, not of black, but rather red.

‘Salvation is at hand, release your minds.’


‘Strip free of your flesh.’


‘Insanity is your clutch, be free and illuminated.’


All phrases that shouldn't mesh nor even comprehended, they should question it.


Why are they not questioning it?


The language on the wall wasn't the only one plastered, but…darkened blood and crisp blood splattered about, yet no bodies to complete the crime scene.


Yet they pushed forward



 The streets became widened, fewer, and before long, they were at the centre of the city, or really by its own will. To bear witness to the truth of this city and humanity. 


“What’s in god’s name?” Luci quavered in mortification, almost dropping her rifle.


“This isn’t a good joke.” Ellis blinking rapidly to make ensure that his mind wasn’t playing ill humour on him.


The rest stood in the unbearable silence, as they found what to the colonists of this city, scattered about the oval centre with their bodies decaying and exposed to the element of the unforgiving cold, like mayflies dead unceremoniously.


Altogether some new fresh bodies were there… to join the ye souls of the abyss.


“We found our expedition team…” Callum approached to one of the closer fresh bodies of the team, head down in the snow, with its ass arched upward, and rolled it onto its deadweight back.


What remained of this one was iced cladded over in its eyes, the frostbite digging into the cheeks and mouth shut tight.


‘Why expose yourself to the elements?’


What madness drove them? Then the answer was in front of them, a giant hole manmade by excavation and a hint of crazed frenzy, dead smacked in the centre of it. Callum with no warning, rushed forward to the giant hole, to oblivion.


“STOP CAL, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” Luci screamed out loud, echoing out through the dead city. 


Was it?


Callum just stopped at the crumbliest edge, and down the giant hole, to the abyss, laid something…alive.


“The hell is wrong with you?! You know better than that!“ Luci and the rest hurriedly caught up to their frozen leader, at the fringe of stability, where a single leap forward could have them fall in lunacy and madness.


“I agree with soldier girl here, I have enough fun for one-“ Ellis was ready to shoot off his joke, then the humour fell off when they saw what Callum entranced by it, and abruptly joined him in a euphoric haze.


It was beyond them, their creative nightmares clawing at them, and their soaring ambitions beyond the stars. It didn't have eyes that could pierce their fragile mind with one stare, thank god for that, it didn't have human or animal tissue alike, not even resembling one of those greek mythology of the manticore. It was twisted, the veins pumping with fluids and disgustingly putrid juices. The Titan scale manifestation, rivalled god’s divine heaven or the devil’s personal purgatory.


No mouth to speak! No ears to hear their fear! No claws to snatch them and tear them apart! No nothing!


Instead it just beaten steadily, like a chained heart.



And it talked, not by the scanner, but to them.


‘Callum, Luci, Baker, Ellis, Felicia, be free of your sins, desires, free me.. and bask in the glory of enlightenment.’


Some want to throw up in their helmets, some want to retreat in terror, some just screamed.


“IT’S NOT RIGHT! YOU CAN’T EXIST!” Felica blubbered out, her entire crutch on relying on the divine illusion, has been shattered.


“THIS ISN’T A MISSION, IT’S NOT EVEN…!” Baker wanting to curl up and cry in his puddle of tears and puddles.



‘But yet I am, ants to the entire universe’s presence, now be free, join me… or squashed in your pathetic oblivion.’ 


This city… no the planet was alive, and currently they were fleas on the back of it.


“SCREW YOU!” Luci bursted through her rifle mag at it, like raindrops at the ocean.


“YOU JUST PISSED IT OFF!” Ellis barked.


Callum stayed silent, listening to the beautiful voice, like a siren singing to a hypnotised sailor. 


‘You suffered enough my child, let me make you whole… join me.’


He dropped his manmade weapon into the abyss, then the helmet as the space air exploded through his lungs…


“ARE YOU INSANE?!” Luci cried out loud.


Finally…himself…



———————————————————————————————————


Between Felica running off, shrieking with manic delusions of deliverance, and Baker’s leg slashed up by the apparently risen dead, this mission was turning to be a disaster.



‘IN CONTRACT OF YEFELL-‘


Luci slammed hard on the ship’s dashboard in the cockpit, grinding her bloodied teeth, without Callum, no one would hear their sides or pleas.


Humanity nor this planet wanted them to leave…


“OH DAMN IT!!!” Like a frightened mother, she rushed out to witness Ellis bandaging up the sitting Baker’s destroyed leg.


“You know I belonged there..” Baker said.


“I’m the funny one, not you, hang on.” Ellis comforting as he finished his terrible patch job and directed his attention to the new commander.


“We’re stuck here..” Luci broke the bad news, much to the despair of Ellis.


“No one coming for us huh? figures..” Ellias grumbled. 


‘And yet I’m coming…’


The voice spoke to her specifically, and the voices closed in on the ship…


They won't go out like this..


“You’re with me?” Luci not glancing at Elias, loading her last mag in.


Ellis smiled uneasily in the face of error as he raised his weapon. “Ready up..”


Forward out the ship they went… fruitless or hopeful defiance against the heart of the cosmic horrors this planet had to offer.



No…… God.

December 24, 2022 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.