The Adventures of Huckle Bearer Twin.

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Set your story on (or in) a winding river.... view prompt

1 comment

Mystery Suspense Thriller

The backwoods blackwater ways, of BlueBear and ShadowCrow River from Mayson County to the Gulf of Mexico, ran in the mud-clogged veins of the Twin family for as long as they have been cutting the soil of the land named after Lord Mayson Twin. Their roots were deeply rested, like the Cypress Groves that line the canals, in the historical clay. The origins of both worlds owes to the other. Marcus' Great-Grandpa's Great-grandfather, who named the rivers after his first and second wife, was the first to travel towards the ocean by passageways. Naming the first river he loved, after the first Cherokee gal he loved, BlueBear---she died shortly after the birth of their only child together due to tuberculosis--- Capricorn. The second honors her little sister; his second wife. 



Chapter One: Angel Fish.



Marcus laid off the shoreline, tucked into the shadows of the vegetation which were growing shades darker because of the darkness of night creeping in more and more. In the distance, not far off enough to feel comfortable enough to carry on, he could see the glows caused by the burning-light from lanterns. It will not be long before the howling of the dogs filled up the air. As a coon-hunter since birth he had on occasions owned a pair of certified hounds and knew damn well the skills of the animals en route.


The river was the only thing that would work: no one else can traverse water passageways better. The only things that lays in the way of freedom are canines and law-dogs armed to the tee; both wanting blood as much as its counterpart. 



Twin grew up in the middle of the poor side of town staining the country as Balinhan, Missouri ----a port town on the Mississippi River-- across the channel of the town of St. Petersburg. The place where he slaughtered his first victim at the age of 17. The gal the papers would call : [ The] Angel Fish --- A. O. Longdan. Twin and Avili O. Longdan corresponded quite regularly throughout 1868. In the winter month of February 1870 he kills her after she publicly rejected his marriage proposal a few months earlier, she came from a wealthy family out of Elmira somewhere in New York state, because of her father's initial reluctance ---to have his only daughter wedd a boy who dug graves for a living --- because of discuss with the lack of up bringing the young man had.



The dogs had the scent and were closing-in. The howling grew to an over powering echo amongst the swamp. Marcus had seconds to get on the River and drift out of sight and smell. 



Chapter Two: Slaughter House Farm.



Raymon Qur Farm in Elmira was the home where the Langdon family summered at. The estate of Avili's sister Nance A Russ. In 1874 her body was found burnt in the study fireplace. A guess-qurtars had been built, apart from the main house, for Avili; so she would have a quiet place in which to write. The detective working her case determined that the lingering smoke of cigars constantly enjoyed was the same as the band Twin smoked: Nance never would have allowed him to do so in her house. The house novelist titled: Slaughter House Farm.



Nance burnt alive in the ashes of the cedar tree used at Christmas. Her sister was found years before in the pond behind the cellar: carved like a fish. The father of the two, Samuel Snodgrass Langdon, and older brother (Jefferson Thomas Langdon) were hung up on the walls like deerskins on display. Samuels testicules set where his eyes should have been. 



Written in blood was the message: I could not be her huckleberry so I became her Huckle Bearer. This pointed U.S Marshals Service officer Josh Clemens to track down the only logical suspect. In the spring of 1875 Marcus was to be delivered to the court house and hung over the rafters. 


Chapter Three: Smoke on the River.


The night melted with the rise of the sun. He had been up all night navigating the make shift float. Laying on the dew blanketed barge watching the rays divide the sky in an assortment of colors he turned to learn he wasn't alone. A hawk was perched on a overlooking branch.


" You not going to tell them where I am now are you?" He asked the unassigned question.


Watching the bird take to the western sky, as if chasing the night away, he rolled over and went to sleep.


_____________________________


" I will drown you. Like how you drowned me". She laughed waving good bye in a matter that moved her fingers like nothing he has ever seen before. "Feed the fish you will. I'll be your huckleberry....", The ghost of Avili turns and writes with her finger on the wind, " I will be your..."


"Huckle Beare" , He hears the wind whisper, followed by an laugh. With this he awakens.

Hunger taps his stomach causing him to look up at the sky to check the time. Lunch.



He is sitting there eating when a stranger appears to the right. Seeming to be looking for a meal; having smelt the fish over the fire and the dadies boiling in a rushed stew.


"Sorry sir, I just smelt mes suma them theres fish. I hope you a share. I isa mighty hungry mister."


" Hungry enough to murder for a bite." Watching the stranger while waiting an answer, " or die for a bite."


" Dye hoow, whi, four food..." Looking at the chef take a bite of the catfish. " I'm guess Is'll ha've to choose starv'tion: it's oroma is going to kill mes...


"Your choice"


The man turns to walk away and Marcus notices the tattoo just above his left elbow.


" What were you in for my friend?" Outstretching a hand filled with fish. " Charlie Block I see..."


Rubbing just above the garbage, that told the story of his time in, before reaching for the offered fish. " R'ape and mu'rrdeer..." He knew if the company could tell him that he was on C-Block than he might be able to figure out the rest. Charlie Block was for the shit stains waiting for a place on D: the place where the deathrowers were housed.


" Itt is behind...."


" Of course, friend, so is...." Rolling up his shelve to reveal the same thing. " Six counts of known murder and..." Watching the guy take on a look as if he just met his hero. " But that is...


The guy mouthed the words "behind mee" as Marcus said, looking out at the water, " smoke on the water."

June 13, 2021 22:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Drew Andrews
22:50 Jun 13, 2021

Story is still in infancy... Hope to tie up loose ends before the ending of what is nothing like it appears. And to reveal the reason for the title.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.