0 comments

American Fiction

What if you where told that you whole life was laid for you from the very moment that you were born. That no matter what you did the outcome would be the same, would you believe it? For some that would be amazing not having to work for success or wealth but to have it given to you. No matter what atrocious acts you committed your path would remain the same. That would be pretty amazing but that wasn’t how it was for me, at the age of ten I found out my path was of death and destruction and no matter how may good deeds I did people around me where going to die. How could I believe such a thing? Would you? Or would you do everything in your power to make sure that this was not going to be your fate? I fought this losing battle for so many years trying to prove to myself and others that the prophesy wasn’t true, that I and I alone would not be the end of the human race. My parents grew increasingly impatient with me and told me that if I gave into my inner demons I would finally be at peace with myself. How could one be at peace when their path is not filled with peace, I knew that I had to continue my fight. Change my fate or die trying. I even thought of hiding myself away after all if I wasn’t part of society I would not be responsible for its down fall. But sadly it was all for not because no mater where I went death and destruction followed. There where flash floods that destroyed cities. When I tried to hide in a small village in Peru the people where wiped out by a strange plague, their bodies were covered in sores. I stood by helplessly as last man, woman and child slowly wasted away. At first I thought all these happenings where a coincidence after all I was only one person, God himself didn’t hold that much power. Then after the earthquake in Mexico as the earth shook violently and people where running for their lives screaming in terror, I came the realization that I Raven was was death to all that I had encountered. I still didn’t want to give up at first I was angry at my parents for allowing this to a happen to me. Parents should want good things for their children not this, my anger turned to desperation maybe if I gave myself completely to God then my life would head down a different path. I attempted to join a convent but as the nuns welcomed me with open arms their flesh began to burn, every time I closed my eyes my dreams where haunted my the images of burning flesh and blood curdling screams.I tried going into exile as a way of punishment for all the horrible things that I had done, but sadly it only made matters worse. What could I have done in a past life to deserve this? As I said before I couldn’t even hide away from my cursed fate, all around me terrible things were still happening. I had even considered running away to Antarctic and spending the rest of my days there, but realized that me just being there could cause the polar ice caps to melt flooding the planet. To most that would sound like a irrational fear but after witnessing what I was capable of I knew it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility. After many nights of weighing my options I knew what I had to do. I scolded myself for not thinking about it before but do this I had to return home. The journey home was very long and soul crushing the, carnage I had left was horribly unimaginable. My parents where absolutely elated when they saw that I had finally returned and said they couldn’t be happier to see that their daughter had embraced her destiny. They were totally oblivious to the pain that I was feeling even though it was written all over my face. I was about to make them very aware about what i was feeling, when they find my cold lifeless body they will see what they had driven me too. I said nothing as I entered my room and close my door. I walked over to my nightstand and picked up the dagger that my father had given me for my tenth birthday. I stared at it and smiled as I realized the irony, the gift I received to celebrate the day of my birth would be the very thing that was going to aid in my death. I closed my eyes and plunged the dagger into my chest and as I felt the life leave my body I finally felt the peace my mother was talking about. I felt no pain even when I pulled the dagger and watched myself bleed out all over my floor, my knees finally gave out and my body hit the floor. And as laid there i took solace in knowing I could change my fate even if it meant I had to die trying.

My parents found my body that same day, it was said that their screams of anger and pain could be heard from miles around, while they grieved the world rebuilt itself and very slowly returned to normal. No one knows why the earth stopped trembling and there was no longer famine or disease, some believe that it was an act of god and others believed it was because people started to take care of themselves and others.

Let this be a lesson to all of those who think that you have to follow the path that is put in front of you. My death even though it caused great pain to my parents, saved the human race and if I had to do i over again I wouldn’t change a single thing. Sure one day the earth will die like all things there is a beginning and an end but I can rest knowing that it won’t be by my hand.



The end.

October 04, 2020 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.