A Traitor Among Us.

Written in response to: Set your story during the night shift.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

The bell chiming woke me from my night shift at Madame Darlene's shop. Dusty shelves held dozens of crystals, and in glass behind were colorful potions. My black lace blouse clung tightly to my ample chest as a wind stirred my black silk skirt. Nervously, I tucked my long brown wavy hair behind my pointed ear. A handsomely dressed man in green robes stood in front of me. His pale hand ran through his long emerald green hair with a glimmer of excitement from his green eyes. A golden bow hung around his shoulder. Anxiously, I touched the back of my hair which hung halfway around my back whilst my front was around my waist. My heart pounded harder as his boots clicked closer to me.

"An elf working at a potion shop is certainly an odd sight." He commented looking at the potions behind me. "I am looking for Madame Darlene, my mother. I have to warn her." Shock and confusion twisted my face as my boss sauntered downstairs in her black velvet robes. Her short curly hair hung around her high cheekbones. Her emerald eyes glittered as a large smile warmed up her pale face. Now I could see the resemblance.

"What brings you around here?" She inquired oddly, her smile falling. "You look worried." Breathing deeply, he looked into her eyes, and flickered back towards me.

"The village is coming very soon to burn this place down." He blurted out with urgency. "The new village leader doesn't want you here." Disappointment and anger dimmed her face, causing her to sigh deeply.

"I had a deal with the other village leader to leave me and my customers alone because we are well out of the village." She grumbled, starting to pack everything. "What happened to him anyway, Thames?" Thames looked behind him while shifting his legs uncomfortably.

"He murdered him, then blamed it on you." He explained as torches were seen in the distance. "We need to get out of here." Anger boiled in my veins as I slammed my black curved blades onto the dusty counter.

"No!" I protested, leaping over the counter. "We will show them who the true criminals are. This woman is like a mother to me, and I will prove her innocence." They both turned to me, and their jaws fell to the ground. Thames opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by loud banging at the door.

"Come on out Darlene. We all know what you did." A loud raspy voice boomed. "You are a murderer. We also know that you are harboring a bandit elf in there." Thames turned to me and glared into my copper eyes.

"What did you do?" He asked irked. "What makes you a bandit?" Sheepishly, I looked away. My fist clenched tightly until tears started to fall from my eyes.

"Your village killed my kingdom, making me the only elf to survive. I had to steal to eat." I admitted, looking back at my boss. "She found me and told me that if I worked for her that I would not have to live that way. She saved me a couple of years ago." His face softened as his mother nodded to him.

"That's nice, but how does the truth get told?" He puzzled calmly. "They were never our village anyway." His heart beat faster, until knocking rang throughout the still A-frame.

"Get a truth potion and inject him while I get the crowd away." I ordered coolly. "Don't stop me." My blades felt nice in my hands, making me feel better. They were the last thing that my parents made for me. The crowd fell silent when many pairs of eyes glared back at me. Hatred poisoned the air as I leapt over the large crowd. Groaning, and grumbling followed me, annoying my mind to the point of me nearly killing them all. Thousands of people chased after me, branches creaking beneath my laced up boots as I leapt from branch to branch. Arrows rained over me from the crowd. They were the ones to blame, not me. Thames popped down next to me holding up a golden shield.

"She is ready with the potion, and he has been injected." He informed me gently. Pain shot through my shoulder when a steel arrowhead struck it. Air rushed around me while my body slammed into the ground. Loud angry faces spun around me as an older man barged his way through the thick crowd. His black silk robes swooshed over my aching body. A silver sword glistened in the yellow moonlight. My shoulder screamed when I rolled onto my shoulder with the arrow in it. Dirt flew around me, blinding my eyes. A sharp thud rang through my ears, realizing the blade just nearly missed me. My fingers desperately searched for my tossed weapons.

"Die just like the former village leader and your elf kingdom." He taunted as his perfect gray hair flew wildly around his face. "I did it all." The villagers turned to him and back to me. Confusion twisted their faces with the onslaught of new confessions. The older guy raised his sword again and thrust it into my leg. A scream escaped from my mouth as his boot slammed into my chest, cracking my ribs. The crowd gasped in horror at his display of fury and huge temper.

"Screw you. Screw all of you." I wheezed weakly. "I will die for Darlene up on that hill. She is the only one who treated me kindly since that stupid war." Whispers danced among the crowd until a small boy walked up to me, offering me a hand. The older man's eyebrow twitched as his hand wrapped around the small brown haired boy's throat. Not on my watch. A green arrow struck between his two eyes. The small boy fell into my arms as the man collapsed next to me. Thames leaped down next to me as Darlene walked through the crowd. No one attacked her. Their frightened eyes just watched in wonder, the silence was unbearable. A bright light surrounded the boy's neck until he woke up.

"Mommy!" He called, running into the crowd. Slowly they walked away until a young blond man remained. He had on ruby robes and a black hat with a red feather. He bowed and tilted his hat at us.

"I am now the village leader. I am sorry for my dad." He apologized softly. "I was trying to get them to see who he really was. Everyone is cleared of their false charges. Can you come to banquet tonight after you clean up?" Thames, Darlene, and I nodded until he finally left.

"Let's heal you my dear." Darlene hummed, pulling out his sword, and the arrow. "Light of the Earth heal." White light filled my wounds until they healed. My ribs were still slightly sore. Fire burned behind me as Thames lit the former village leader on fire. Twenty minutes later he was a pile of ashes. Thames offered me his pale hand. Blushing, I accepted it and pressed my lips against his kissable lips. Our hearts beat faster as he pulled away.

"What is your name, beautiful stranger?" He asked playfully. "I usually don't let strangers kiss me." His face flushed scarlet as his strong arms wrapped around my small waist. His strong hand traced my cheeks.

"I am Elania of Gustia." I answered looking deep into his eyes. "I think I like you. Thank you for saving that boy." His lips kissed my back hungrily. Both of our faces were bright red when a clearing behind us spoiled the moment.

"I am glad you found each other, but we have somewhere to go." Darlene joked with a jolly smile. "You can finish this after." The bushes rustled behind me. The small boy with the brown hair crept out with a bouquet of wild flowers. His blue eyes shined excitedly at the sight of Thames and me.

"Thank you for saving me." He squeaked out nervously. "You guys are awesome." His feet shuffled closer and closer until his blue shirt and brown pants were inches from my face. His face flushed bright red as he handed me the flowers. Smiling warmly, I took them and embraced his tiny body.

"You are most welcome." I grinned, spinning him around. "We will be there in a few moments." Giggling, he ran off towards the village. The air was lighter and happier as we walked towards the village for the first time ever.

September 01, 2021 18:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.