Ace of the Midnight Skies

Submitted into Contest #16 in response to: Write a story about a character on a quest, trying to "prove themselves."... view prompt

0 comments

General

“You can’t solo the Aether Master! Even a team of the best Level Zeroes couldn’t beat the Extra Boss, and you're only level 55, you don’t have a blizzard’s chance in hell.” The man spoke, “You probably played the Story Mode and thought you were hot stuff, huh?” “It’s not possible.” “You can’t do it.” “No way.” All of these negative nannies were making me angry, then someone spoke, “Why not? Why not Solo the hardest Extra Boss in the game.” From the crowd emerged a man, “I know someone who Soloed an Alpha Boss, with the right skill, anything is possible.” “You got to be kidding me, that’s a bold-faced lie and you know it!” someone spoke out, “Who in the entire game could possible beat that kind of monster?” The man smiled, “A player by the name of Ninth-Gear.” Then everyone in the room went silent. As if that name were cursed or something. “Kid, if you want to Solo the Master of the Aethereal Realm, your going to need this, as he handed me the item then entire room started to yell, “You can’t just give that to a noob!” Others saying, “That’s at least worth half the continent’s land!” 


“Look kid,” he spoke to me, holding out an orb, “This is a Beta drop. If you take this, you can make it to the Aethereal Realm, and fly through the sky without worrying about running out of Flight Stamina or Wing Durability, but I will only give this to you if you can promise me you will be the one who defeats Aetherius.” “NO!” I heard a woman’s voice, “What gives him the right to have such a valuable item for free, huh!? Who do you think you are!?” “Last I checked this game has a player driven economy, there is no money to assign to items of value. As for my in-game name, it’s Fourth-Kind.” Then everyone began to speak, “But that’s the man who has the Unarmed Passive Trait, Observance, isn’t he?” Frantic and worried she replied, “So, Fourth-Kind. What do you see in this little brat?” “He has a passive trait, called ‘Ace of the Midnight Skies’ It is a rare trait that only shines in the Aethereal Realm. If mastered he could beat anyone or anything with his bare fists. That’s what I see in him.” “But…” she tried to argue, but he walked away. 


After that I could sense the frustration of everyone there, I realized I was singled out. Everyone was my enemy. Well, almost everyone. “So kid, do you even know where to go? Or even how to use that Item?” “Well, I don’t even know what it is, so…” I went silent. She sighed an over-the-top sigh, “Okay, then we’ll start at the beginning, but let’s go to a different area, okay? This burning hatred against you is making me uncomfortable.” “Sure, did you have a place in mind?” “Gate Open! Set Transport to Café` Lavoe`!” And she brought me to a diner in the Dataverse through a teleportation gate. “Take a seat. We’ll start at the beginning. Do you know the required Key Items to enter the Aether?” “Haven’t got a clue.” 


“The requirement is an Item called, ‘Wings of Skies’ Rising’ and that is normally obtained by beating the Aethereal Usurper, who is an Alpha Grade Boss. But the item you have now is a Beta Drop, it’s called the ‘Grand Ceremony’ it basically negates the requirements and sends you to the Aether with a pair of Infinitely Durable Wings.” “Cool.” I said, nonchalantly. “Cool!? It’s basically cheating!” “Cool.” “You’re hopeless, you know that, right?” she spoke outraged. “Look, I’m just playing for fun. I took on the challenge as a whim.” I replied. “Fine, I see how it is. Duel me, the winner goes to the Aether. Deal?” “Sure, why not?” I accepted the duel request on the Comms Link and saw that she was a Level Zero. “Whoa! Hold on, you are Ninth-Gear!?” “You got a problem?” “Well, it’s kind of unfair. Our level gap is too far.” “Don’t you know, the secret every Level Zero knows? Levels don’t matter in this game, it’s all about skill. Otherwise, why make the game in such a way that as you level down, the enemies get stronger, and smarter, and your stats decrease?” 


“I never thought about it.” I replied. “So, are we on or what?” she persisted. “Can you teach me more about this game? This might actually be really cool.” A few months passed, and every day I learned more and more about the game, then one day I was ready. “So, you just go up to the pedestal and use the orb?” I asked to confirm. “Yeah, go ahead. Don’t forget, when you start falling, use the wings.” I used the orb, and the I started floating higher and higher until I almost reached the clouds, then I started to fall. “Wings Activate!” But nothing happened. “Oh no,” she realized, “He doesn’t know the code!” As I kept on falling, I tried different words, and poses, but nothing worked until, “Fly! I need to go higher! Fly!” Then this light surrounded me, and I spoke, “Grant me wings!!!!” I flew, the higher I flew, the better I got at it, “This is amazing!!!!” As I pierced the clouds, I saw an opening, and flew through it. 


“Okay, remember what you’ve learned.” I spoke to comfort myself, “I can do this.” I headed towards the Castle. And as I entered, I was greeted by the king. “Are you here to defeat me, and take my crown?” Aetherius spoke, “Nope, I came to challenge you to prove my skills to the world below!” “Then I shall face you.” He stood and walked from his throne, “What are the terms of this challenge?” “If I make you laugh, then I win.” I replied, just like Ninth-Gear drilled into me. Over the months the months of training, I learned everything she knew about the Aether, including the secrets she had been saving for herself. “Deal, you may proceed.” “If I may be so bold,” I replied, “I would like to fight you at full strength as my attempt to do so.” He smirked, but didn’t laugh, “Very well.” 


“Here I come! Meteor Shower!” I used my special technique, that Ninth-Gear helped me figure out. As I unleashed a flurry of full force attacks, I noticed that he took note. As he dodged my attack, he flew into the highest point of the castle, “Is that all you have to offer?” He tried to taunt me, but I wouldn’t give in. “Hey, king! What did the sheep say to the bard!?” He smirked, again, and I knew I was close. So, I flew up to him and whispered in his giant ear, “That joke was too baaaaad!” I spoke, imitating the sound of a sheep. As I saw my opening, I used my ultimate move, “Night Skies’ Edge!” And then posed bending my back and walking like a crab before the move landed, and he burst out into laughter. 


I stood up straight and smiled. “Looks like I win, King.” “That is the funniest thing I have ever seen.” He spoke still in a laughing fit as I left, his crown in my hand. I went back to where this whole thing started and smiled as I twirled the crown on my finger, “Beat that.” 


“Looks like my info was right, after all.” Ninth-Gear spoke, “I mean if you were the king of a boring old castle where no one wants to do anything but challenge you, it could be a bit boring. I’m glad it worked out for you.” She looked at me, “Who are you anyway?” “Oh, me? I’m just a man who helped create this game. A beta tester, if you will.” “Wait, what!?” “You did a good job, Ninth-Gear, keep up the good work!” I yelled as I walked through the door and logged out. I didn’t bother to see the look on her face, though I’m sure it was priceless. 


November 21, 2019 11:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.