CAKE ALONE

Submitted into Contest #47 in response to: Suitcase in hand, you head to the station.... view prompt

6 comments

Adventure Fiction Crime

“Desperateness has one closest friend that has never yielded any juicy fruit apart from obliteration”.

“You must get down!” Danda, the director of PPC Company shouted angrily.

“You are not in your best mood now. Kindly let me drive you home. I know a man called Ex-Man; he will certainly help us track this criminal down”, Joe suggested.

The following morning Ex-Man was invited to the office.

“You are welcome to my office, says the director. As I was checking your success record, I confirmed that you have been among the top intelligent officers in this country. For that reason, you are the only competent person to do this job perfectly for us”.

“Thanks for the compliment sir. Can you please set the trap and see if the rat will not fall this minute?

You see! “Your intelligence will surely draw the prey to us. Without wasting much of your time, a young man has been proving smart upon us for a decade and you need to trap him down. This is just $10,000. You will be rewarded handsomely afterwards” Danda applauded.

“That’s a great deal though how will I get to know who this suspect is” Ex-Man inquired.

“You will notice a tall, black guy and always on short whenever we are having our meal pretending to be waiting for someone. He is the only tall guy around the Kasaronto beach where diplomats come for dinner.

Ok, “you will hear from me before this week is buried”.

Later in the evening, Ex-Man kicked into action. On his way to Kasaronto, evening confectionary, Ex-Man drove 2 miles away from his place of residence. Landing at the beach comes to a tall guy, dressed smartly as described but he ignored the first sight. In pretence, he called him for a drink, swiftly as he is, he came because its time when the whole place was at its best.

“I am Ex-Man and you are?”

“I am Patty. It is my pleasure meeting you. You are such a generous man. For years, I have been here no one has ever given me the residue from their plates to dine like them rather it’s packed for dogs”.

“You mean they are so insensitive to catch your sight? Never mind. I am here”.

 “Let’s make a deal”, says Patty.

“You are a smart guy. I love smart people like you”, Ex-Man complimented.

Oh! “You did?”

Yes, “you are indeed a treasure to be close to”.

All right!

Now, “can we go straight to the deal?” Ex-Man pleaded.

“That’s too fast. Before that, let’s know each other and where we could share the benefits afterwards”.

Immediately, Ex-Man clicked the recording button of his recorder and a spy pen which was just in his pocket as Patty began to speak.

Please, “I have been keeping this secret for years but because you are so good to me I am going to tell you the deal around here so that we can corporate and enjoy together”.

Great! “Where do you stay?” Ex-Man asked.

“I live at 23467, Crescent Avenue, room 14”.

“That’s very far from here”.

Really!

Yes. It’s about a mile from here.

Actually, “I do come with my car but it’s hidden a distance from here because the deal here needs to be smart and speedy. Just come, I will show you where to wait for me and I teach you how the deal goes afterwards we shall be coming as often as we can to ravage this fools”.

Awesome!

“Follow me to my car and then watch. When you see me running with that suitcase in hand, you head to the station so that we can take off. Have you understood?”

Yes, Ex-Man replied.

Patty moved some distance and in 5 minutes the game was set. Patty running like a cheetah jumped into the car and they took off. It’s at Patty’s house.

Wow! “The journey was a success. Man must survive”, Patty exclaimed.

Interesting! “How did you do it?”

“You mean that!”

“Yes, because the speed you came into the car showed that you are the smartest human being I have ever seen. I am glad we made it. Kindly, take me into the ingredients of this business, I am interested”.

“I knew you will be interested in. It’s been 10 years now since I have been doing this business. Oh my God! First, let us sign an agreement that will bind us even at the point of danger you will not reveal our secret to anyone else”.

“I promise. Please let’s continue”.

All right! “As I was saying, 10 years in this cool business, I do go for planning during the day to check the kind of VIPs who will be hosted that day after, I go back and rest. I do steal from their suitcases as they are dead in wine. Those suitcases you saw were just a few as compared to other days but I do this once a week to avoid noticing my move”.

“That’s a great adventure. Can we knock-off the lock to see what the net has caught today?”

“It must be a big fish as usual”, Patty replied.

“I hope so”.

The suitcase was opened. That’s about 20 minutes past 1 am. Indeed it was filled to the top with riches.

Wow, Ex-Man replied in exhilaration. “That’s a nice job well done. There is no need to suffer my good friend; we shall be in this business together. But I hope you don’t save this money in the bank?”

“Such ideas are for children who are learning how to play their games. But for Patty, I have my personal safe house. Come and have a look”.

It was a surprising turn of event for Ex-Man to see such huge amount saved in the house without anyone’s notice.

“I know you are worried, said Patty. There is nothing to worry about. I keep no friends and I do my things alone. Therefore, it’s between me and you. Let’s just enjoy life and celebrate our victory”.

“That’s good then”.

Afterwards, Ex-Man sloped down the street and boarded a Taxi to where he parked his car. As promised earlier to bring the criminal to justice before the week joins his ancestors, Ex-Man organised his profiling report and handed it over to the Director of PPC company including the testimonies of the recorder and the spy pen.

A week later, Patty was brought before the court for cross-examination. He denied the facts until the circumstantial shreds of evidence were played then he remembered Ex-Man and exclaimed!

“I am doomed by the trust; now I am dying alone.

June 24, 2020 17:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Terri Strom
01:10 Jul 02, 2020

Hi Ophoke Leonard. You could benefit by getting a proofreader, I hire mine at fiverr. They have really sweet people there that can edit/proofread your work for as little as five dollars: http://www.fiverr.com/s2/9bb7da8cff Blessings, Terri Strom

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
10:21 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you @Terri for that eye-opener. I will follow it up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:59 Jun 25, 2020

Very good but I thought you have not shown the application part of the two characters.. The thief was way to easy to fall into the trap and the exman did nothing super serious to have him get the thief. Thanks bro for writing. I enjoy reading your piece. All the best

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
09:02 Jun 25, 2020

Thanks@Ambrose. I love the fact you enjoyed it. Those two characters sound easy but it could not be if Ex-Man was not experienced and again the writer wanted the identity of the officer to be protected. But in the review, I will make it more elaborate to have a full scene. Once again thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Waswa Brian
18:35 Jun 24, 2020

Good story Leo Like the way detective got the poor thief. Anyway interesting one . Thank u

Reply

OPHOKE LEONARD
09:05 Jun 25, 2020

@ Brian, I appreciate the time you took to read the story. I trust you enjoyed it especially that disorganised offender that can spill out his beans in just a day he met a stranger. Keep reading more are coming your way soon.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.