Jason Huff's Wife

Submitted into Contest #1 in response to: Write a story about a birthday party with a major plot twist.... view prompt

0 comments

General

Jason Huff's Wife

Jason Huff, age forty, spent his adult life trying to get rich. He spent money at race tracks, gambled wherever there was a casino, and even bought two greyhounds that he raised to race, but they came out of every gate walking instead of running. Jason never got rich gambling, but he won enough to keep himself from starving and able to travel to the next casino or race track.  He would go anywhere where he could gamble. Once in a while, he would go to a county fair that had harness racing. Before the races began, he would walk around to see what was being sold by local and foreign merchants. On one occasion, he walked around the bustling fair to see what food he might be interesting.  “That’s interesting,” he thought looking at a tent. “Wishes granted. I never saw that before. Usually it’s fortunes told. I have to check into this,” he said and went into the tent. “Yuck. Everything is black.”

As he looked around, and old woman appeared at the back of the tent. “I am Rana. May I help you?”

“Uh, yeah, I saw your sign, wishes granted, and I was curious.”

“Please sit down,” the old woman said and she and Jason sat down.”

“She must be about 75,” Jason thought.

“So, do you have a wish that you want granted? Is there something you have always wanted but never got?”

“Well, yeah. My dream is to be wealthy. I want to be really rich.”

“I can make your dream come true.”

“You can,” he said excitedly.

“Yes, but my power is not free. You must pay to have your wish come true.”

“Pay? I don’t have any money.”

“I know, but you will if you give me what I want.”

“What do you want”

“I want you. I want you to marry me and promise that you will never leave me, ever.”

“Are you serious? You’re old enough to be my mother. I could be your son. Why would you want someone as young as me to be your husband?”

“I have my reasons. So, are you willing to marry me, be my husband, in exchange for wealth?”

“Let me think,” he said and thought about the deal. “So, if I marry you, you will make me rich?”

“Yes. If you marry me, and promise never to leave me, I will make you rich. If you agree, you may test my power. Go, bet on something, and I guarantee you will make money. If you change your mind about marrying me, the money you win will disappear. After we are married, you will be able to make all the money you could want.”

 Jason went to a nearby racetrack and bet on several races. When he was done, he had won $100,000. “My God, it’s true. If I marry her, I’ll become a billionaire. I’ll do it,” he said and returned to the woman. “Okay, I’ll marry you.”

“Good. You must promise never to leave me. If you leave me, all your wealth will disappear.”

“I promise,” he said, and they were married in a quiet ceremony with just a few people in attendance.

Jason accumulated a fortune, and he and Rana moved into a mansion in Florida. He bought a giant yacht, and a dozen high-end cars. They traveled together all around the world, and stopped sailing only when they wanted to see the sights at a particular place.

One morning, while having breakfast on the deck of their yacht, Jason asked a question that had been on his mind . "Rana, there's something I would like to know."

"Of course, Jason, anything. What would you like to know?"

"One thing I never knew about you. Your age. How old are you?"

"Yes, I understand. Well, as a matter of fact, I will be 82 tomorrow."

"Well, I think a birthday party is in order. I'll call ahead and tell Carson to make the arrangements for a party. Tomorrow noon will be a good time for the  party. Is that okay with you.?"

"Tomorrow at noon will be fine, Jason."

 It will be a wonderful party. I'll tell him to invite all our friends. It will be great. I guess I'd better tell the captain to take us home."

They arrived home the next morning. "Look at this place, Rana. Decorations, happy birthday signs, everything," he said and Carlson entered the room.

"I hope everything is satisfactory, sir?"

"Yes, Carlson. Everything looks great. Soon the guests will arrive and the party will begin."

Party time came, and the guests arrived. People drank champagne, ate, and sang songs to Rana. "Thank you all so much. This has been a wonderful birthday party, and I thank my husband for making it a happy birthday," she said, drank some champagne, started to weave, dropped the wine glass, and grabbed Jason's arm. “I’m not feeling well, Jason. I want to go to bed. Call Dr. Mason."

Shortly after the guests left, Dr. Mason arrived and examined Rana. “Mr. Huff, may we speak in the hall?” he said and they left the room. “I gave her a tranquilize, so she’s calm. Mr. Huff, Rana is very ill. It’s her heart,” he said.

"Do you think the excitement, the birthday party, was too much for her?" Jason asked.

“I doubt it. She’s had heart problems for years, so what is happening now is not unexpected. There’s nothing I can do except make her comfortable. Why don’t you go in and sit with her. I’ll see myself out.”

 Jason watched Dr. Mason walk down the marble staircase and turned to Rana’s bedroom door. “Die, Rana. It’s time to leave me. I want to enjoy my wealth without you, so die,” he thought and went into the bedroom.

Rana opened her eyes. “Come sit by me and hold my hand,” she said breathing heavily, and Jason put a chair next to Rana, who reached out and took his hand in hers. “I’m going to die, Jason,” she said in a weak voice. Do you remember your promise? You promised that you would never leave me.”

“I remember.”

She gripped his wrist tightly and took her last breath. Jason tried to take her hand from his wrist but he couldn’t. He gasped as her body floated up from the bed toward a mist that appeared above the bed. As she floated toward the mist, she pulled Jason into the air toward the mist. The closer she got to the mist, the more he struggled to get away, but he couldn’t loosen her grip. “God help me,” he gasped as she entered the mist, and she pulled him in behind her.  “Let go of me, damn you,” he shouted as she  disappeared in the mist and pulled Jason behind her until he, too, disappeared.

“You promised you would never leave me, and you never will,” he heard her say as her body and his were no longer a part of this world.  

The End

 

  

 

 

August 08, 2019 17:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.