0 comments

General

 Temperance stared at the newly finished manuscript placed neatly on her editor's desk. It had taken a lot of half eaten meals, endless cups of herbal tea, and six months spent in isolation in a log cabin, nestled in amidst a rather impressive pine forest. Yet Temperance did not feel triumphant in her achievement. At best she felt as though she could have put more into it. It may just be her inner critique talking, which sounded a lot like her dead Uncle. An accomplished author with many prize winning novels to boost! Even when the cheque was placed in her hands, Temperance felt as though she was not deserving.

Georgia Collins could see the look of exacerbation on her client's face. Aware of Temperance's background of emotional issues, she sprung forth out of her chair gently embracing her client like a mother would her child. Immediately she felt Temperance crumple into a heap as she sobbed onto Georgia's left shoulder.

“I-I- I'm so sorry Georgia! Oh just look at the mess I’ve made on you lovely silk blouse!"

Grabbing the box of tissues close by, Georgia tried to reassure Temperance that it was fine. Sensing that Temperance was close to a "melt down”, Georgia called out to her personal assistance Raphael. Having been in this scenario several times before, Raphael didn't need to be told that a frothy hot chocolate with pink marshmallows floating on top, along with the most decadent chocolate chip cookies was needed ASAP!

"Temperance, honey… Not to be insensitive or anything. But when was the last time you visited with your shrink? I only ask because you seemed to be making such headway and now… Well, it's like you have relapsed right back to the start again!"

Temperance felt her lower lip tremble as she tried her best to convey to Georgia the reason she no longer went to see Doctor Rhodes. There had been a time where she felt a huge break through was surfacing. But when Doctor Rhodes became a little too "up close and personal”, Temperance had felt the need to pull the plug and relinquish all ties with that awful man!

Of course, it could have been all in her head. Temperance did tend to struggle between reality and fantasy these days. Especially when she immersed herself wholly and completely in her work.

Georgia let out a sigh as she tried hard to understand her rather complicated client, who had become more like family in the seven years she had been signed on as Temperance’s editor and publisher.

"Temp, sweetie. I really feel you could use a break. I mean a vacation break. Somewhere warm and tropical where you can sit on the glorious sandy beach sipping Pina coladas at your hearts content. Just being not thinking. Do you get where I'm coming from? And of course, yours truly would be only too happy to accompany you. Lord knows I could use a vacation as well!"

Temperance knew what Georgia had suggested made sense. But that niggling, negative naysayer reared its ugly head once more. Telling her she didn't deserve any of this, let alone a vacation! Trying to compose herself, Temperance stood up and headed towards the bathroom located to the right of where Georgia sat. Splashing water on her face, Temperance stared at the haunted face in the mirror.

"Go on, do it!” The voice inside her head dared her.

"You know where she keeps her Vicodin. Swallow a handful or two and your pain will be all over".

"Nooooooo!" Temperance screamed so loudly that she gave herself a shock with how tortured the voice yelling out had seemed!

Georgia came racing in with such a sense of urgency that she almost ran into the dishevelled form of Temperance, all curled up in a ball.

For what seemed like the longest of time, Temperance allowed herself to be held so tightly and rocked gently to and fro. It was calming and soothing and gave her the strength that she needed to shut out the incessant ranting (inside her head) that had almost deafened her moments before.

Raphael poked his head in to see if he was needed once more before heading home for the day. Georgia mouthed the words “thankyou” as she gestured with her hand for him to go. Temperance had finally stopped sobbing and shaking. Gently easing herself out of her friend’s arms, she turned to face Georgia with such a look of love and appreciation. Georgia had really gone above and beyond for Temperance. Most people would have turned and run, but not Georgia. She stuck around through thick and thin. Through page after page, emotional upsets, right to the very end.

“I would say that you definitely deserve a holiday my dear, dear friend!” Temperance said as she clasped her best friend’s hands in her own.

“So that’s a yes then?” Georgia replied as they walked out of the office towards the door that lead to the reception area of “G Collins Publishing House”.

“Absofriggenlutely!” Temperance responded with a huge smile plastered on her once distressed face.

“And maybe we can rope Raphael into coming along with us, my shout!” Temperance spoke with a renewed enthusiasm and zest for life.

Georgia felt like she could finally breathe. Like really let go and breathe! For the first time in a long time. It was as though something had shifted in Temperance, pulling her back from the brink of wherever she went when she “checked out” of herself. Whatever it was, she was just so thankful to have her friend back.

Temperance couldn’t contain her excitement over the adventures that lay ahead! For the first time in ages, she finally felt like she was free! The voice of her Uncle (inside her head) was laid to rest once and for all! The fog had lifted! And she felt like she could think clearly, with her own thoughts not those of a cranky, judgemental Uncle who felt like everyone was beneath him.

“Now whom is beneath who? You old fart!” she heard herself say aloud.

Seeing the look on Georgia’s face soon had both woman rolling on the ground in fits of laughter. Raphael happened upon the scene looking somewhat bewildered, but relieved to see Temperance’s once pain, etched face replaced with joy and fits of giggles.

The trio linked arms as they walked towards the company mini bus that awaited them. Gazing back at the publishing house, just for a moment, Temperance sighed as she felt a wave of relief that it was over. The book she had toiled over for months had consumed her, but at the same time it helped her to break the spell of her Uncle’s strangle hold he had over her even long after his exit from this world. Yes, getting lost in another realm, in someone else’s fantasy, had almost driven her insane. But in the same sense, it had pushed her to find her strength, her own identity. Thus liberating her from her past once and for all! And they all lived happily ever after (on their vacation) THE END …

June 16, 2020 05:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.