2 comments

Science Fiction Suspense

Beep! Beep! Beep! The alarm sounded with its usual urgency. Its abrasive tone charging with reckless abandonment toward my nearby eardrum, hoping to disrupt my peaceful slumber. Normally, my fingers would be frantically searching for the round, smooth button that would trace itself on the pad of my finger upon locating it. The attack would then be halted as pressure was applied to this enemy of quiet solitude. But not today! As yesterday’s news replays in my now awakened and alert mental state, it delivers its welcoming message. Today your dream is realized!

The night has disrobed revealing the hidden light now sharply piercing my open eyes. Every conscious decision made today needs to be reminiscent of this honored occasion. Every moment of preparation needs to pay homage to my ultimate achievement. Its recent memory burns with pride inside my chest and radiates, forcing the corners of my mouth up into a smile. My first day will not be marred by anything less than perfection. A rebirth has alighted upon me; my whole being repurposed.

***

I navigate the gearshift into park and effortlessly turn off the ignition switch. Slowly, I pull the metal key fob from its secured location. It releases with a gentle click, click, click, click as the hugged curves and defined edges are extracted completely. I am motionless. Why does this cause me to pause? Everything, everything I have desired lies 500 feet away behind a mechanized, rectangular pane of sliding glass. You earned this! You deserve this! - the cajoling voice dictates. It’s time.

My steps are like heart beats, each one keeping a steady and sure rhythm. I slip through the door and pass two security guards poised, taut, and expressionless. Their eyes are steady with intensity reaching outward from their empty dark centers. For a brief moment, I envision a faceoff where I am immediately thrust to the floor with brute force, disarmed and feeling the deep impressions of the barrels of their weapons compressed into the muscles of my back. Suddenly, there is a deep appreciation and a sense of security provided by their compelling presence. Defy them, and it may be the last thing you ever do!

My hope is that my own performance can be as impressive and captivating as these two men. I fix my gaze forward and proceed with the same uniform cadence as when I entered. To my left, the cold steel spiraling staircase beckons to me. Its tall stature demands my attention and signals me upward.

There are three corridors when I arrive at the landing. Each one is white, clean, and sterile. I already know which one will lead me to my prescribed destination. They will be there waiting as promised – both of them.

My heart rate elevates as I move through the middle hall. It’s no longer steady and in sync with my steps. I inhale deeply, keenly aware of a slight fragrance in the air around me. Instantly, I am calmed by the scent and release of my breath. It was a hint of eucalyptus. That faint odor has always had a calming effect on me.

Home. Darwin, Australia. It’s been three years since we left. A necessary move to reach this sought after moment in my life. Part of me still wonders if it will be worth it. I knock.

“Robby! It’s so good to see you!” I can tell by the well enunciated crispness in his voice that this is the man with whom I spoke on the phone last time. His appearance and features seem to impersonate his voice. Well dressed, wide mouth, high and tight brown crew cut hair, and a neat set of black frames resting on his face. I return his greeting and shake his extended hand. A firm grasp!

“This is my partner, Brad,” he states with a high degree of respect. This leaves me wondering who is actually higher in authority. “We both began this organization together just over twelve years ago.”

“It’s a pleasure Robby.” Brad does not extend his hand as Brian had done. His hands are fixed in front of him one over the other grasped in a relaxed, resting position. Their features are strikingly similar in appearance, however their dispositions are opposites in terms of warmth and approachability. Twins?

“We would like to get started today if that’s alright,” states Brian getting right to the point. “You’ll need to change of course. Brad will provide you with what you will need and instructions.”

“Follow me please,” a flat, empty-toned command escaping from Brad’s mouth.

Together we leave the office space and walk silently. As we pass through a set of double doors that Brad effortlessly pushes aside, we enter a larger room. While he proceeds over to a keypad and locked doors, I take in the elements of the room. It’s sparse – a single mounted light fixture and a wall of paneled mirrors opposite where Brad is standing.

The flooring however is noticeably different. I made note of the change in how my step interacted with it upon entering. There’s not the definitive hardness of tile or laminate anymore. Rather, in its place there is a buoyancy that pushes back on my feet. The sensation making me quickly aware of the different amounts of pressure applied from the soles of my feet. My core and calves tense, so as to stabilize my body that I might maintain my equilibrium.

Brad returns and hands me the dark navy blue mesh bodysuit. It appears to me like a reptilian shedding that was carefully preserved and fragile to the touch. It’s even more impressive than I imagined it! He must have noticed my admiration while accepting it because of his response.

“It’s the same durable, light weight fabric that you developed. Don’t worry. We took absolute care to follow your design parameters.” He continues. “The cloth itself is interlaced with micro sensors that wirelessly transmit data of your physical movement and your body’s vitals.” Here he pauses to take further note of my facial and ocular responses. It’s unnerving – Brad’s stare. Then, he finishes. “In addition, the head covering monitors neuro electrical impulses to allow us to glimpse cerebral activity. Please remove all clothing and belongings, and put it on.” He departs. Is that it?

I begin to undress completely. There is a small square cutout reaching into the wall next to me where I place my clothing and belongings. The cool air touching my bare skin causes me to shudder a bit. I hope this is warm! I locate the thin hidden zipper in the back of the suit. It swiftly responds to the light force applied to release the interlocking teeth. Without question, the fabric’s elastic quality allows for a natural entry and envelops the skin of my body. The face covering is equally pliable and contours itself over every one of my prominent features. Unexpectedly, a humming commences and narrates itself over every part of my body. The sensation of the electrical surge causes undetectable friction that heats my body. It’s instantly soothing. A surprising feature!

Part of the deal was that I would be the one who tried out the prototype, since I was its creator. Years of study, research, and investing every moment of free time, not to mention the surmounting loans that ominously loomed over my head, have all brought me to this instant.

I stand alone in the silent space facing the mirrored panels. The blue scaly figure appears foreign to me. I gently run my hand across my chest. Even through the fabric, I feel as though I am touching my own skin. How did they pull off such a unique composition?

“Are you ready Mr. Thompson?” Brad’s voice startles me and hastily brings me back to the present. “Wireless audio speakers and sensors were included in the bodysuit as you indicated.”

“Yes. You may proceed.”

The light from above goes out. There is an emerging glow emanating from the suit right away. A stunning luster begins to reflect back from the mirror to my eyes through the fabric. An iridescent sheen forms detailing each scale separated by the veined markings that create the reptilian pattern. I am awestruck!

HEAT! What’s going on?!

My skin is uncomfortably warm, and an irritation develops amongst the flesh of my entire body. My fingers curl involuntarily from the reaction of my tensed muscles. I drag them down my face, neck, and torso in agony wanting to tear free of the second skin burning and merging with my own.

“BRAAAD!” I cry out.

“Fusion of bio-electrically enhanced tissue and unification process initiated,” says an unrecognizable voice.

Wanting to vomit, I smell the pungent odor of burning hair and flesh through the torturous pain. I shriek again as a throbbing, searing heat penetrates each of my limbs and torso! This wasn’t part of the plan! What have I done?!

I step forward, but my legs give way as I can no longer maintain my balance on the now undulating floor. I roll to my side to protect myself from the imminent impact. Once I’ve come to rest on the floor, my head starts spinning. I wretch and then choke, unable to discharge the contents of my mouth through the suit. I’m forced to swallow. My mind slips, and I become disoriented. I know I will be unconscious within seconds. A final thought slowly presses into my fading mind - Creation precedes destruction.

September 03, 2021 21:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

John Hanna
01:57 Sep 08, 2021

Nice story! Brad killed him to get his invention! heh

Reply

Shaun Brown
20:30 Sep 08, 2021

Thanks John! I am pleased that another person found some pleasure from my writing! Brad and Brian are definitely up to something. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.