The Unsolved Mystery of the Robinsons

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about a family attempting to hide their secrets from someone new.... view prompt

0 comments

Drama Historical Fiction

Two weeks have passed since I have arrived at this place, the Robinsons seem to be not telling me everything despite the fact that they are open and friendly but have an air of hostility if I ask too much. Any normal human being would accept that fact but not me.

My name is Molly Anderson, I came from Brimwood High before ending up here to take up A Bachelor’s degree in Journalism at the University of Loushigan. Everything was normal at first, the crunching leave underneath my feet the creaking board of the porch, all changed when I entered the house; nothing of alarm would be first noticeable but this place gives an uncanny feeling once you start thinking about it. Despite the fact of being a 19th century model home that creeks every time a light breeze hits, cracks and mold formations that would keep anyone away in fear of collapse; the interior has a modern design. High above is chandelier that could only be seen in high class hotels, a gaming room just to the side of the entrance, a high resolution transparent TV in their Living room and far forward I can vaguely notice a classy dining table meant for high society parties.

“This must have been a mistake” I told myself, " I must have picked the wrong address”. Looking once again at her phone’s GPS, she was at the right location.

“How can this be?” she once again asked herself

Finding the courage to ask the housekeeper, she answer that it was in the FAQ on the site but I can reassure that it wasn’t but I again checked my phone and as silly it maybe she was right.

The home was modernized with a reinforced frame while keeping the external old house look, why would anyone charge so little with such an alluring home? at that time I was just to tired to think about and just headed towards the stairs,. In the first 10 flights of stairs there was this massive wall filled with picture frames that lasted until the third floor ceiling one directly in-front of me and another to my right with the same height. The entire family history have been put on these walls with the recent ones being what I stared at. Reaching the top I noticed a portrait Drawing, This must have been the original owner of the home.

When asked about these to the land lady she was the daughter of the last home keeper and her grandmother was also, then I can to ask about her husband and children, she answered that her husband was a distant relative from the side of her father but never actually knew - two years after having a child with him.

Still this house made me uneasy, I just had to find out more.

The next day was a normal day, 6am - I started unpacking, I started to take notice of my room, to the right an antique looking closet the bed was hard wood that had some engravings that looks Asian in origin just at the door of my room was a mirror table filled with orderly fixed in such a way that is satisfying to look at. The floor was carpeted with a dirty white fabric that looks like it was recently cleaned. No sighs of dust build up. These people must be some skilled professionals to maintain such a living space with only 4 members of the family 2 of which are children.

7am- I finished all my unpacking and proceeded down stairs where my meal was set in place ready for me to eat, no one seems to be around at the table only me and having the best seat on the table.

Everything was professionally crafted

7:15 am- I finished my meal, and headed outside, everything was consistent still. Honestly I wished this was a dream, everything was to good to be true. The house was still this old rotting mess on the outside. No one was around to be found then I heard someone chopping just to the left of the house. As I walked on the creaking porch I made my way down to have a better look on who was chopping lumber.

A tall handsome man was there with the most perfect features.

“Morning” a voice erupted, “You must be Molly, I’m Shelly”.

Looking at my stunned eyes, Caught your heart already huh? That is Raynold, my brother. He gets that a lot from young folks like you.

The entire 5 minutes of conversation was mostly hers with my few short responses.

“I see you have woken up how was the bed?”, Mrs. Robinson interrupted, “and looks like you are making friends already”.

“Well see ya”, Shelly said

"Sweet girl isn’t she? Well let us take a tour".

As we took a little tour of the entire place I could not get my mind off of Raynold. I even forgot about my suspicion about the place.

Thus ending my first day.

My second day consisted of me preparing all my papers needed for admission in the University six days from then.

The third day I received breakfast in bed, Mrs. Robinson got worried that I didn’t go down the entire day the day before, she was right I didn’t even notice, I apologies for making her worry then she offered to bring up the next meal, then I politely refused but she insisted to do so for she understood that I was getting prepared for the university. Who could deny the offer? So, I accepted. This lasted until dinner time.

The fourth day consisted of me preparing a good essay for my introduction this in part will last two more days, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner came as yesterday but this time Shelly brought the meals. when I asked about this, she said that she wanted to bring my meals up.

The fifth day came, Same routine but this time at dinner Raynold brought the food, he commented to the fact that I have not left my room for a while, I gave the truthful answer to why this was then we talked for a couple more minutes Before heading for the stairs.

The sixth day came, I have realized that every morning my last meal’s dishes have always been gone everytime I woke up. Coming to think about it gave me the creeps, who was the one going to my room every time? It was hard to tell since three have entered. Maybe they took turns, Nevertheless they where kind enough to do something for me, “Too kind”, I though. 7am as usual breakfast came, It was Raynold, this time I got a good look at him, he is handsome and tall, green eyes, blond hair, squared jaw, he is seems perfect in every dimension. “How is your essay?” he finally spoke.

“How do you know about that? Wait are you the one that keep on going to my room?”

“Just this morning.”

“And you read it? how far did you read my essay?”

“Just enough”

“That is my private property you know.”

He gave a small smirk,” Here is breakfast, we have Beef Wellington for you today”.

“How do you all afford all of these services with such little pay?”

He looked me deep in the eyes and just starred. “We value people’s lives more”

Everything was normal through out the day with Shelly brining up lunch and dinner.

Finished my essay before 10.

The seventh day. With a feeling of accomplishment I headed downstairs but felt something strange at the second floor. Coming to think about it, I was never toured here. Yet at this time I never bothered. This was the first time for me to have a good look at the place, far in the distance are patches of copse and rows of trees leading to the main road towards the city a large forest land at the house, Mostly Pine. Raynold lead me to the attic for a better view of the place and it was wonderful, a vast area of pine that eventually turn in to a birch tree forest, to the front some pine tree with mostly maple trees and I can see the city from here. This was my best day yet at this place… and that is all going to change.

It all started at my first day of University, I was peacefully going down from my room when I hear it, it was an odd noise; like a growling moan. My curiosity got the better of me. A door was left open… far in the long corridor I hear the noise getting louder as I came closer, skittering can be heard then an eventual grown, it almost sounds like a cat growling but somehow had an air of being a human

As I pushed the gap between the frame and the door further apart, there it was looking right at me then…

AHHHH!!!!

My scream erupted the entire house, I heard footsteps running up the stairs in from the doors kitchen utensils clanged and an earthly being snarling as it attempts to drag me into it’s room.

HELP ME!! PLEASE!!! I called, Shelly was the first one to come over.

Rodny stop it! I said stop it! It started to whimper, Go back in your room, she commanded, Sorry about my brother looks like it was his first time to see you. I was too shocked to speak at first, He is your brother? My mouth trembled.

“Yeah he is don’t worry he wasn’t going to hurt you you just frightened him, he doesn’t like any one he doesn’t know to enter his room”. I stared blankly at her.

“Well don’t you have schooling to do”?

“Raynold will bring you to school, wont you Raynold?

“Of course”, he said, “need some help up?

“No I can do it, I said, Thank you”.

In the car I just could not speak, I could not ever remember what I was doing there

That was quit a ride, Raynold finally spoke.

Yeah it was, I whispered.

He did his best to comfort me though out the way

“Well here we are”

My butt felt heavy, my legs felt like they are in thick snow, my nose felt like fire was coming out of them.

The door have shut.

“Thank you!”

He glanced over.

“For brining me here”.

He smiled and nodded.

The rest of the day was me being unfocused, all was looking at me in curiosity and fright. Student and professor alike, a few days ago was the best day ever and now this was the worst. Our classes ended at 6pm, I was waiting in the parking lot where Raynold was going to pick me up. The car pulled up 10 minutes passed 6. When I opened the door I was stunned that it wasn’t Raynold… It was his father.

He probably noticed me being shocked but just starred at me, he said nothing but I knew he was implying me to enter, so I did. The entire trip was unbearably silent. Even if I wanted to say something he looked too intimidating to speak to.

20 minutes later we got home, he waited for me to get out first, as I entered the house my spine just chilled, Mrs. Robinson took notice and asked Shelly to bring me up

“I’ll come too”, Raynold remarked.

At the second floor they noticed me backing up but reassured that everything was fine. As I got to my room they both stayed there for a while before having to leave.

No! I shouted, Please don’t leave me.

Shelly gave a concerned look

It’s alright, Raynold said, I’ll keep watch of her.

" Still rattled up I see”, he said as if it where a joke.

I looked at him with out saying a word this continued on until 5 minutes later dinner came to my room.

“You look pale darling”, I am truly sorry for what have happened this morning, I am sure he didn’t mean it, first time he saw you after all.

“Thanks you Mrs. Robinson”, I finally said, “no need to worry I am sure it wasn’t any one’s Fault”.

“Well I am glad, Heard from Shelly that you wanted Raynold in here for a while so I got a little extra Drumsticks for you”.

“No, it wasn’t that it…

“Oh don’t worry dear, I sure do understand, well off to me then”. One hour have passed since the door shut and Raynold was getting ready to leave.

“What is wrong?”

“Please stay tonight”

“I can’t I have to get up tomorrow morning”

“Please”, I whispered.

That night he slept with me, his beating heart and warm firm body gave me reassurance.

I woke up that morning with him still in my arms and his over my shoulder

“Morning

“Have you been up all night?

“I though you would be sucking on my nipples by then”

I slapped his chest, he laughed. The moment was getting warmer and warmer…

It was 7:30am and I was late, he got my bag prepared, I had to take a shower and head downstairs where he waited. There Shelly waited at the stair case to escort me down. The same went on for a couple of days until I became reassured.

While I was in class I was distracted to what that creature was… They said it was their brother, but it resembled no human. It had long circular ears and I can vaguely remember large incisors, almost like a rat. I just had to find out more, I am not sure if it was just my investigative journalist in me or the fact that this would be a good Thesis. That evening for the first time since I got here I dined with them. We had our fun discussions but it all came to a conclusion when I asked about the child, Mrs. Robinson Polity dismissed offering me some pretzels, I accepted and persisted to know. I noticed Mrs. Robinson give a quick glance to her husband then smiled at me, “It is finish now, she said polity, will you finish your meal?”

I wanted to know more about the child that was in there, so that night when everyone was asleep I sneaked out. as I got to the second floor a door closed from the first. It was non of my business but I wanted to find out. Heading to the backdoor I saw a glow that suddenly disappeared, as I pursued; I found out that he has entered a basement. I tried to ease drop but as I did he was on his way up. I hid in between barrels at the back, I noticed that he has a shot gun and a few knifes for hunting and a butcher’s knife, his lamp torch illuminated the entire forest. he headed to the woods I had two choices, follow him or get in the basement. I chose the latter but later found that is was locked. I was going to go after him but only a mad man would.

The next day I did the same almost forgetting about the child; “Has he always done this?” I asked myself, I presume that is how we get our food”

The day after I asked Shelly if I could enter with her to her brother’s Room. She dismissed the question.

Why are they doing this? like he doesn’t exist or something. I considered talking to my professor about it but then everyone would be curious and get there, two thoughts went through my head one is that the Robinsons will get angry by receiving unwanted guests or media second I found out about him first so he is my story to tell.

As I lay down my pen to end this journal entry I wish for the best of luck for me to finally get this story and present it to the world may God be with me, Signed Molly Anderson. October 23, 2016

“Well that was one long journal entry, alright got to go get somethings done around here”.

-In the hallway-

My heart skipped a beat as I saw Raynold just standing by my door, “Raynold!”

“Heading somewhere?” .

“He knew?” I though.

“Just for some fresh air, I said, do you mind escorting me down?”

“Sure”

Suddenly something from behind me wrapped it’s hands around me and shut my mouth with a handkerchief, I struggled and grasped for air but every grasp made me sleepier and sleepier until the lasting I see was Raynold’s shoes.

“What do we do?” and inaudible voice of a woman remarked, It was Mrs. Robinson.

“We send her to the woods” a deep voice erupted.

This is the first time I heard Mr. Robinson’s voice. I tried to crawl away, then a hand was placed on my shoulder and turned me over. It was Raynold.

“Hey everything will be fine” he said giving the last warm smile that I would see from him.

The voices started to faded away little by little… “We can’t we have to find another way”

" Miss? Hey Miss are you ok?

What? where am I? Who are you?

I am a scout ranger her in yellow stone national park

Yellow stone? you must have been mistake.

What are you doing out here any way?

I was in this house… what is the date today?

He got out his little notebook. That would be October 25

In just two days they got here to yellow stone? in just two days?

what is this about miss? From Loishigan to Yellow stone. That is impossible for them to bring me here too fast.”Loishigan? that place have been shut years ago.”

“What do you mean?” Looking confused, I have been just there.”

The ranger looked concerned with what I said

What year is it?

2020… 

October 23, 2020 17:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.