Fairytales

Submitted into Contest #27 in response to: Write a short story that ends with a twist.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery

"Mommy!" The little girl runs up to a young woman, jumping into her arms as the woman spins her around. "What is it, my princess?" The little girl giggles and hugs the woman around the neck. "Can you tell me a story?" The woman gives a light laugh, "Of course." The woman sits down in a nearby rocking chair and places the child on her lap. "Once upon a time there lived a grand king. Who had a beautiful daughter just like you. He loved her so much that he gave her anything her heart desired. One day she found a beautiful tower and asked her father if she could live there. He said 'No, it is too dangerous for you to leave.' She didn't like that answer so she would every night, head and fixed the tower up. One day she slipped and fell, dying with no help." She finishes with a smile, "So the moral of the story is to listen to your elders."

The small child frowned and looked at her mother, "Mommy I don't like that story." The mother gave a small chuckle, "No true story has a happy ending, not even the fairytales."

The music played in my ears as I cleaned, remembering the story mother told me when I was little, chuckling at my younger self. My mother always loved that story since my father left her when I was born.

"Hey, honey you home?" I smile at the fact that my mother had just met the wrong guy at the wrong time. I run to see my husband, leaping into his arms. He spins me around and gives me a gentle kiss. "How was your day at work?" I ask with a smile on my face, "It was okay, would've been better with you."

"Are you ready for movie night?" I smiled. Movie night was a tradition we had every Friday, "Of course, I have the popcorn and everything." He laughed helping to get everything set up for the movie. Once done with our task, we both laid down on the couch under the fluffiest blanket I could find.

"Damian, what movie did you pick this time?" I question, looking behind me to see his face. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre, why?" The color from my face drains as my eyes widen. "Why did you pick that one?"

"What can't stand a bit of horror?" He asks with an obvious smirk on his face. "No, and you know this," I say with a pout evident. I turn around and watch the movie, set on not letting him have the satisfaction of seeing me scared. That didn't work out as planned, the first jumpscare I hide underneath the covers of fluff as a shiver from fear. I stay there for most of the movie unless I was sure the movie wasn't scary at the point or to get some M&M popcorn.

Once the movie is over we get ready for bed and once asleep, I wake in an empty bed. Realizing that it was all just a dream.


February 02, 2020 22:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.