0 comments

Fiction Friendship

Aaliyah- I miss you. When are you coming home?

Ben- Soon, I promise.

Aaliyah- When you get home, there is something I need to tell you.

Ben- What is it?

Aaliyah- I have to tell you face to face.

Ben- Okay.

Aaliyah- Ben...................

Aaliyah hears a loud boom

Connection lost between Aaliyah and Ben

Ben are you there? Ben answer me!

Oh my god! something happened to Ben, that noise sounded like a bomb. No this can't be happening Ben promised me he will be okay.

I have to call back. I...........I.........I don't know what to do if Ben is not around, he's my world.

Calling Ben back is useless, he's not answering, now what do I do? I try to calm myself, it's not working. I was just taking to Ben no more than 5 minutes ago.

Breathe in breathe out, breathe in breathe out. I do this three more times. You're good Aaliyah.

I turn on the tv and turn to the news, maybe they know something.

I put on the channel 7 news and oh god! there was a bombing at Camp Victory, that's where Ben is stationed. No, no, no this is not real. Ben was not there. What am I saying? I was just talking to him, Ben was there.

Tears begin to come down my face. Ben, you have to be alive, you just have to be. You can't leave me, not like this.

I lay on my couch crying hysterically. Ben has been my best friend since first grade. We have been through so much together, it can't end like this, he can't not die. No, he promised me he will always come back to me.

Ben I'm going to find you no matter what it takes. Where do I begin?

I guess I begin where Ben is stationed, Fort Drum. Tomorrow I head to Fort Drum.

Today I head to Fort Drum. I pack a light bag, grab a picture of Ben and head to my car.

The drive to Fort Drum is peaceful and calming. I think about all the good times me and Ben shared, the summer vacations, the birthdays and the holidays.

Every memory we ever shared is in all the pictures I have. The last phone call can't not be our last memory me and Ben shared. There is going to be more happy times together. I am going to make sure if it.

I make a quick stop at the gas station to get gas and pick up Ben's favorite chips and mines also. We both love Doritos Nacho Cheese.

I laugh at this one memory about Ben. Every Friday is movie night either at his house or mine. Ben would always buy 5 to 10 bags of Doritos, he would put them in bowl and stuff his mouth with so much Nacho cheese.

Ben is a crazy guy, but he's also loving and caring, anyone who meets Ben would always remember him, he was just that kind of guy. Helping people and serving his country has always been a calling for Ben.

When Ben told me he was joining the Army, I wasn't surprise. I was a little hurt because I didn't want to lose my best friend, but I knew just like the people who came into contact with Ben knew that was his calling.

I get back on the road, Fort Drum is pretty far, but this is what I have to do to find Ben.

I sing along to some of Ben's favorite songs like Bad Habit by Ed Sheeran or Knowing you by Kenny Chesney. Yes Ben likes country music, me not so much, for Ben I will listen to anything.

Another funny memory me and Ben had together was the night of our high school prom. Me and Ben decided not to go, instead we went on a road trip to the beach. We sang and sang and sang the whole ride to the beach. We butchered the lyrics to every song.

We laughed and laughed and laughed the whole time we were singing. I love that memory.

I wish I told Ben how I felt about him. What if I never get to tell Ben my feelings for him? There are so many what ifs. I need Ben to be alive.

I'm nearing Fort Drum. I never realized New York is so beautiful, maybe its because I've been stuck in the city for too long. Ben loves it here. I don't blame him.

Before Ben left he gave the name of his commanding officer Col. Parsons. I hope I get to talk to him.

I get off the exit to Fort Drum. I drive the two miles to the Army base. I think about what I'm going to say to Col. Parsons.

I arrive at Fort Drum. I'm, at the main gate. I ask to speak to Col. Parsons. The army guy at the gate asks for my name. I tell him my name is Aaliyah Ramos.

I see him calling someone. When he is done, he tells me to go on through, Col. Parsons will meet me at my car.

I park my car. I see someone walking towards me, he's a middle age man with graying hair and a tall physique. I get out of my car and introduce myself to Col. Parsons.

"You are Col. Parsons?"

"Yes I am. I've heard a lot about you."

"You have."

"Sgt. Cruz talks about you all the time."

"He is why I am here. I was talking to him on the phone early yesterday morning when I heard a loud boom. Our connection was cut off. I haven't heard from him since then."

"Miss Aaliyah come back here tomorrow at 2 pm."

"Why?"

"Trust me. You will want to be here."

With those parting words Col. Parsons leaves.

I get back in my car with more questions then answers. I hope I get them tomorrow. So now I heading to find a motel.

I found a nice little motel a mile from Fort Drum. I keep thinking about what Col. Parsons said. He told me to trust him and to come back tomorrow. I guess I have no choice, but to come back.

I go to sleep thinking about Ben and wondering if he's still alive.

I wake up bright and early. I take a shower, get dress and have breakfast. I walk around Jefferson County until its time to go back to Fort Drum.

Jefferson County is such a beautiful place. I go into a few shops and buy a few things. I know Ben will lo ve what I bought him.

I look at my phone and see its time to go back to Fort Drum. I get in my car and drive to the Army base. I arrive at the front gate, where I see Col. Parsons waiting for me.

I say hi to him. He instructs me to follow him, so I do. I wonder where he is taking me.

We drive to a large airfield, where I see a lot of people. They must be family members waiting for their love ones to come home.

I park my car in an open space. Col. Parsons comes to me and helps me out of my car. He tells me to go wait with the other families.

I walk away from Col. Parsons, I look back, I don't see him anywhere.. I make my way to the waiting family members. I stand there for 20 minutes, then I see a large military plane coming.

The plane lands. I see the plane opening its doors and Army personnel coming out. The family members are rushing to their loved ones as they disembark from the plane.

I wait and wait and wait until I see a familiar face. It's Ben. Ben is alive. I run to him calling his name. Ben sees me and he starts running to me.

"Oh my god! Ben, you are alive. I thought I lost you."

"I'm alive baby."

I cry tears of joy. I turn and see Col. Parsons. I mouth thank you. He smiles and walks away.

"Ben, do you remember when I said I have something to tell you."

"I do."

"Here it is. I love you so much."

Ben smiles.

"I love you too."

Ben kisses me. Our first kiss together. It's amazing.

My Ben is back home and all mine.

October 14, 2021 20:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.