The Storm from Hell by C.E. Metcalf

Submitted into Contest #129 in response to: Set your story in a snowed-in chalet.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fiction Horror

It was a cold winter in main. I sat at my kitchen table drinking a hot cup of coffee. I had spent the day cutting firewood. I had gotten an early start this morning because I knew a storm was coming. I had given up listening to the weather report years ago because most of the time they were wrong. I have lived in my cabin for 22 years and seen all kinds of weather. But this time I had a feeling the storm coming was going to be different. My cabin was about the size of a large 1- bedroom apartment. I had built it myself 23 years ago. It had taken me about a year to finish. This was one thing in my life I had done that I was proud of.

I had spent my early years in New York City, and I hated every minute of it. I'm a writer by trade, if one wants to call it a trade. I had made some great money. But for some reason I was drawn to country living. I guess it's the peace and tranquility.

When I built this place, I did it right I put a lot of insulation in it. Sometimes when it got to hot inside, I would have to open the door for a while.

In the summer I loved this place even more. I discover with people call it God's country. The sweet smile of nature fills my nostrils every morning. Or while I am eating my breakfast, I can watch the animals.

The first night I spend here it was the best sleep I ever had. I have never been married and don't have any children that I know of. Now it's just me and my animal friends. Once in while a hiker will come by and visit for a short time. A couple of times the game warden even came by to check on me. All together I own about 20 acres of land. It's more than I really need but I couldn't turn down the price.

Within 6 months of moving in I build a large wood- shed that I could easily access from the back door of the cabin with a covered walkway.

I have learned to hunt and trap a lot of game through the years. I have never been without food. I even build a generator shed so I can have electricity. I designed quite modern. Or at least good enough for me.

The winter so far was pretty lite. I only had a couple of inches of snow up here on the mountain. I could feel it in the air that we had a storm coming. The air was just different than normal. Some people say if you have had any injuries, you can feel it when the weather changes. I've been lucky I have never broken anything. Or even had any kind of surgery. I guess that is pretty good for a man of 62.

I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I have plenty of food water wood and gas for the generator.

After resting up for a while I dressed warm and stepped back out -side. I could see the snowflakes starting to come. They are a little larger than they were earlier. I've always enjoyed watching it snow. I hate shoveling the dam stuff but enjoy watching it. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity but in reality, it was only about a half hour. Nighttime was coming fast, and the safest place was inside where it was warm. That and I was getting hungry. I had taken some venison out of my freezer when I got up this morning. And I had some spuds soaking in the sink. My month was starting to water just thinking about it.

When I opened my front door a blast of warm air hit my face. I knew then where I was going to stay the rest of the night.

As I was cooking, I could hear the wind blowing. When I build the cabin, I made sure there wasn't any trees near that might fall on it. I really didn't have a whole lot to worry about even if I got snowed in for a few days I would be ok.

As I ate my dinner, I knew I wasn't going to sleep well I never do when there is a storm. I mainly stayed up to keep the fire burning. Thats what happens when you choose to live alone you have to take the good along with the bad. Who knows maybe it would give me an idea for a book?

After doing my dishes and putting everything back in its proper place It was time to relax. Like a lot of men, I have my favorite chair I loved to sit in next to the bookcase. I'm a man of many interests. I read about a lot of different topics. I have always been very open minded I guess that's why.

As I listened, I could hear the wood fire crackle and pop as it burned. I had brought in plenty of wood to get me through the night.

I had lost track of how many times I had read the books I own. When I get the chance, I will get some different ones. I did learn a lesson a writer that doesn't read books is like a musician that doesn't listen to music. Because you never know where your next idea is coming from.

I must have fallen asleep because when I woke the cabin was dark and a little chilly. The fire had died down but didn't go out. There were still some good hot coals in the fire box. Not far from the stove was a rack that I always kept wood drying for when I needed it. Within minutes I had it back up and roaring and the room was back to a warm temperature. I looked at my clock and it was a little before 5 am. I was more tired than I thought I slept most of the night. For some reason things seemed very odd. I wasn't sure what, but I was going to find out.

I needed to open my front door minute and get some fresh air I was starting to feel claustrophobic, That, is a feeling I have never experienced before. I felt like I was locked in a box. I planned on opening my front door and stepping outside. But to my surprise when I opened my door the snow just piled in. Holly shit I said out loud. I sure wasn't expecting this. This must have been the storm from Hell. Instead of fire and brimstone snow and ice.

January 15, 2022 21:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.