27 comments

Drama Friendship Inspirational

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire. A maple abscissed over the top-soil of the green grass in the park. I fetched out the deckchair to the park with me. It was crispy, so I put on a vest. My residence was right across that maple tree in a wooden house. It was just like me. Old, rusty, yet lively and attractive. I was seated next to the tree in the park, waiting for my friend, Greg. I was munching some apples a kid gave me and observing people at a glance.

I felt nostalgic by seeing a couple who was sitting across me on a bench. It was just a glimpse, but that gratified me. That girl in the yellowish-brown dress looked alike Adelaide, my wife. The man beside her wasn’t like me at all though. He was shy, simple, and quiet. It looked like she was blabbering about some stupid thing, and all he was doing was gazing at her.

Adelaide left me to suffer here, alone. She was 56, and it was the night she got the news of our son getting a promotion. My son and grandchildren visit me on weekends sometimes. But I miss her. I can feel her presence in our room, and I speak to her every-day. I know she listens to me. Being old, I have nothing exciting to share so, all I do is tell her the same old, and she never gets tired of it. The bright side is, she left peacefully, and a very few get that golden chance.

My life has become monotonous. As the seasons change, my life abbreviates. Thankfully, I can still walk and occasionally run without a stick. Being 75, this feels like an accomplishment.

Right now, in this time, today feels unlikely.

‘You want to play with us?’ the boy who offered me apples asked. We talk, twice or maybe thrice a week. I watched him play with the same man who was seated across me on the bench. I guess his girlfriend left, as I cannot spot her anywhere. Well, he turned out to be good at playing catch. 

I asked the little boy, ‘Is he your father?’

‘He just sometimes plays with me. He says that he likes the way I play, and someday I will be amazing at baseball.’ Said the boy, and cheerfully sighed.

‘No wonder he is true. I see you have a good grip with the ball.’ I said with a smile.

The man playing catch with the kid sauntered here, and asked the kid, ‘You tired?’ And added saying, ‘I am George. I shifted in the neighborhood two days back.’

‘Are you the one with the dog?’ I asked.

He answered, ‘Yes.’ And smiled. ‘His name is Jerry, a German Hound.’ He added.

‘I think I will head home. You two big guys continue. Mom is making a brisket today, and I am super hungry. Bye.’ The kid informed and left. Oh, kids these days.

‘Same time tomorrow...’ screamed George at the kid, while he nodded, racing towards home.

 I was rising out of the chair when Greg’s son arrived, alarmingly, he said, ‘Father’s no more. It was a heart attack. He was about to come here, and as he stepped out of the house, he fell.’ Tears rushed in his eyes while speaking. ‘We called 911, but it was too late.’

What? Greg? We.… we just met yesterday. I have no words. What shall I say to this poor man? 

‘Where is he?’ asked George.

‘In the hospital. My wife is there. She is still in trauma. They were close, and I haven’t got any time to think of what is happening. I came from the hospital to get some of his reports and insurance papers. The doctor asked for it. And I saw you guys..’ spoke Henry, Greg’s son, and fell.

I was traumatized. I wanted to cry, but tears no longer came to me since my wife’s funeral. Greg was my best friend. I knew him for almost 15 years, and he left without a goodbye.

George called a doctor who lived three blocks away. I somehow managed to get some water and sprinkled it on Henry. He still couldn’t come to his senses.

There was no one in the park by then, so I didn’t find any help until George arrived. We took Henry to my home. Laying him on the bed, we waited for the doctor.

‘Here.’ Said George, offering me a glass of water. I sat on the couch in my living room, drinking water, and he sat beside me.

‘Who was she?’ I asked.

‘What are you talking about?’ he asked.

‘The lady with you in the park. Is she your girlfriend?’ I asked.

‘Oh, she is Rebecca, my girlfriend. Or maybe my future ex.’ He said.

‘Why so?’ I asked him.

‘I guess she doesn’t like me anymore. I am trying to hold onto her, but she is all about her dreams, and her future. She doesn’t see me with her in it, I think.’ He explained.

I know, I met him a while ago, so I probably shouldn't say what I am about to, but let's do it anyway. ‘I think you guys should talk things out.’

‘I think I will.’ He said. That went quite well.

 ‘It is quite complicated in our case. Do you know Arya Stark from the “Game of Thrones”?’ He asked.

‘The…’ I was interrupted by the doctor. He arrived and checked Henry’s pulse. Henry had low blood pressure and was in the trauma of his father’s death. The doctor gave us the medicine prescription and informed, that Henry will recover consciousness in some time, and left.

While I was thinking of calling Sophia, Henry’s wife, I dialed Greg’s number on the phone. I wasn’t even aware of it until Sophia picked up and answered.

‘Hello.’ She said.

‘Dear, Henry is at my house. He fainted in the park, but he’s alright now. He will get back to his senses soon, so don’t you worry. I will send a friend of mine to pick you up from the hospital, with the papers that the doctor asked for.’ I told.

‘Oh, god! How did it happen?’ She sounded scared.

‘He stopped by the park to inform us about Greg, and he couldn’t take the news, so he fell.’ I answered and added, ‘You don’t worry. I am sending George to pick you up.’

‘Okay.’ She said and disconnected the call.

I was in my solitary, as George went to pick Sophia from the hospital. Henry was still unconscious. I won’t be seeing Greg anymore. With him gone too, I am alone. Just me and blissful memories of my friend and wife.

One day, I will be gone too. I don’t want my son to cry over his old father’s death. But no matter what I say, funerals are forged to make people miserable. They are the gentle reminder of humans having emotions. I remember Adelaide’s funeral, where I barely could speak a eulogy for my wife. Greg’s only one supported me after she passed away. I told him to give a eulogy to me when I die, but I never thought things might turn around.

‘What am I doing here?’ told Henry, coming out of the bedroom.

‘Don’t you recall getting unconscious?’ I asked him.

‘Oh, yes, yes, I do. But I need to submit a few papers at the hospital as father…’

 I interrupted Henry by saying, ‘I know. I have sent George to do that and pick up Sophia from there.’

‘Thank you so much. I need to inform everyone and make funeral arrangements too.’ Told Henry.

‘I understand, but you need to rest for some time. You have low blood pressure. The doctor gave you a shot of epinephrine, so rest. We will take care of it.’ I told him.

As George and Sophia arrived, we made the calls and arranged a funeral for the next day. I emphasized them to stay for dinner as it was late already and made my cook make more food.

We were having a quiet dinner where George asked, ‘How was he?’

I asked him back, ‘Who? Greg?’

He nodded, and I spoke, ‘Well, for me, he was a really good and quite a funny person. He made me laugh at my worst times, and we loved watching tv together.’

Henry and Sophie smiled at me, while George said, ‘He sounds like a good man.’ Henry nodded.

As we finished eating dinner, Sophia cleaned up, and the three of them left for home. I was feeling shivery, so I switched on the radiator in my bedroom and laid over the bed. It was quite a day today. I still cannot believe that Greg’s no more. I want to cry, but I am unable to. Thinking of Greg brings great memories, and I want to treasure them with me for the time I’ve left.

I lost Adelaide in the Maytime, and now Greg, in Fall. Altering seasons bring no good to me. Thinking of change, I guess George’s generation is not at all accepting of change. If you love somebody, making adjustments shouldn’t be this difficult. Because starting love with someone else isn’t that easy. It does provide newness, no doubt, but also starting from scrap is always challenging and tough. Instead, putting those efforts into the relationship you are in, and accepting the person in the way they are, is easier and helps in the long term. I don’t understand why people these days have this crazy habit of dating every opposite sex they meet. Their dates change, just like the seasons.

Just by talking to himself for a while, Josh fell asleep. The next morning, was the funeral and as Josh was getting ready, he recalled her wife’s funeral, which made him cry. Just like he said, ‘They’re meant to remind humans of humanity.’

Everyone from the neighborhood was present that day in church. Every single person mourned Greg. He was a good soul, and he deserved it.

Josh had the same monotonous routine after that incident. The only difference was, Greg wasn’t in the park.

George stayed in touch with Josh since that night. They met frequently in the park. George kept him updated about his love life-related issues, but he never used his advice. His relationship with Rebecca was falling apart, and as was Josh’s health.

One evening, when Josh didn’t come to the park, George went to his house to check if everything was alright. He used the spare key, which was underneath the doormat, to open the main door as no one answered.

George went inside and spotted Josh in his bedroom lying down. He tried to wake him up, but as he turned him around, he saw Josh holding the picture of his wife, Adelaide, and having a deep, sound sleep. As he checked his wrist, he couldn’t find any pulse. George panicked and called the doctor who lived nearby.

‘I’m sorry. He is long gone.’ Said the doctor. George didn’t know what to do. He found Josh’s phone and informed his son of what happened. People from the neighborhood arrived as they heard the sound of 911 incoming. Josh’s son arrived in a few hours, with his wife and children.

The next day was another funeral in the Mayline neighborhood. Josh received beautiful eulogies from his family, and friends. George tried to give one but he was overwhelmed.

He went to Josh’s house for the one last time. He gawked at every single thing in there, capturing its last picture. He was unaware of how Josh has impacted his life. He found a note in Josh’s diary which said, ‘I know your relationship with Rebecca is changing. You are a good guy George. But remember…. Winter is coming..

October 16, 2020 06:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

16:59 Oct 16, 2020

Very nice 😘❤

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
18:12 Oct 16, 2020

Thank you mom 😍❤☺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kajal Mehta
11:26 Oct 16, 2020

It's a wonderful story❤🤗....Great work!!💖...

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
13:16 Oct 16, 2020

Thank you, Kajal! 😍❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kruti Mehta
07:30 Oct 16, 2020

Loved it❤❤❤ and yeah winter is coming ❄

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
13:16 Oct 16, 2020

Thank you, Kruti! ☺❤ yeahh it is 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:58 Oct 23, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.. ❤️👍good job

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
14:16 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you so much!! 😍🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dave Rushabh
17:39 Oct 20, 2020

Nice one keep it up 🤩

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
18:14 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much, Rushi! 😌 I really appreciate you taking time and commenting! ❤🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhairyaa Pandya
06:30 Oct 20, 2020

Brilliant!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️🎉🎉🎉🎉

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
18:13 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much, Dhairyaa! 😌 I really appreciate you taking time and commenting! ❤🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vrushti Patel
18:18 Oct 19, 2020

Awesome story ❤️ It is interesting to read , Keep it up ❤️🤗

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
18:12 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you so much, Vrushti! 😌 I really appreciate you taking time and commenting! ❤🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anjali Gangwani
15:11 Oct 19, 2020

Great story! Loved it❤😊

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
17:26 Oct 19, 2020

Thank you, sissyy! 😍❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monu Limje
19:54 Oct 17, 2020

The Last note from Josh's diary took all the credit of the story...👌

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
20:05 Oct 17, 2020

Yesss!!! That's what I wanted people to feel... ☺😁 thankyouu ❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Simran Krishnani
16:53 Oct 17, 2020

It’s an amazing piece! And I am sure that you definitely can be better!

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
16:55 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Simran! ☺😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leena Jetawat
15:20 Oct 17, 2020

Wow,great explanation of the life he lived. Enjoyed the story😊

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
16:23 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Leena! ☺❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
00:12 Oct 17, 2020

Hi Prachi, I liked your story and I really liked this line - "As the seasons change, my life abbreviates." As feedback, I would suggest making your dialogue less formal, to make it more natural sounding. I've also suggested some tweaks to the text below: "he turned out to be a good player at the catch" - change to 'to be good at playing catch' " I was arising up the chair when Greg’s son arrived" - 'rising out of the chair' "radiator in my bedroom and lied over the bed" - laid "generation is not at all acceptable of change" - ...

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
02:57 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much! :) Yes I will do that! 👍🏻 Oh, god yes it will change them... I didn't notice it at all.. :p Thanks for pointing them out before my story got approved! 😁

Reply

Andrew Krey
03:32 Oct 17, 2020

You're welcome, glad you saw it before the deadline :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anshul Gaur
18:31 Oct 16, 2020

Beautiful story!❤️ It was creatively connected to the prompt!!☺️ I enjoyed reading your story.🤘🏻

Reply

Prachi Kumbhare
02:58 Oct 17, 2020

Thank you so much, Anshul! ☺❤

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.