2 comments

General

My family and friends on my doorstep hugging and kissing me is all I wanted for my birthday. It sucks living in a country where you don't have anyone. I was starting to question myself why in the first place I was in London. Rebelling against my family seems stupid to me now. I think I should take into consideration quitting this job of my dream and leave London. I am a fun-loving person who loves her friends and family the most. Each birthday of mine is full of surprises, parties, and lots of fun, but for the last 5 years, my birthday just sucked. Today after a long day in office, I was sitting in 'COFFEE STORY' drinking a coffee. I finished drinking my coffee half the time staring at people and the other half thinking about my choices, regrets, and realizations. I paid the bill and left the coffee shop. Nothing lay in front of me, I had nothing to do, so I decided to binge-watch some series on Netflix and finish my 'Boring Birthday'. I was lost in these thoughts when somebody blocked my way. When I looked up I saw two men staring at me. They had an altogether a different vibe. Their faces were covered with a mask. They were wearing a shaggy overcoats overs their shirt and ill-fitting trousers, with a hat on top. They looked identical. I was still examining them when one of them said in a husky voice, "Come with us. You know you did It." and then the other one grabbed my hand, I was shocked, I didn’t know what to do. But I didn’t have to do anything because they had already run away. Before I could take in what had happened, they vanished into the busy streets of London leaving behind an envelope with my name on top. I opened it only to get a message it said, “Be in the 1st-floor lobby of the Palace Hotel before midnight.” I checked the time it was already 10:00 pm. I did need to think twice before making my decision. Well, it was too risky, anything unpredictable could happen. A million thoughts rushed into my mind at the same time. But then a small voice inside me which always guides me whispered, "Life is all about taking risks." And so the decision was made. I headed to the Metro. The Place Hotel was an hour's ride from here. My heart was beating hard unaware of what beholds me. The metro was almost empty as it was very late, but the journey was quick. I reached the Palace Hotel right at 11:00 pm. The restaurant seemed quite old and had a haunted feeling about it. I remained firm and entered the hotel with a strong desire to come out safe and sound. There was not a soul except me in there. I went straight to the receptionist who I thought was night-dreaming because even after several calls she didn't respond. She was just so creepy, lost in her world. Next, I searched for the lift, but I was not able to find it. I decided to take the stairs. As I was climbing each step the sound of my feet haunted me. I had a very bad feeling about this whole thing. Maybe some risks are better untaken, but coming this far I could not quit. I reached the first-floor lobby. The lights were dim and the pace looked as if it had not been in use for years. Suddenly the lights go off and I am scared out of my wits. I continue to walk through the dark corridors when a man comes running towards me. He says trembling, "Help me! Please help me! That man in the room is trying to kill me." The first thought that occurred to me was to run, but then I saw that the man was injured and could not escape as easily as I can. I had some humanity in me. I decided to go to that room and ease that man a little. If I die during this I would not regret it because I died trying to protect someone else's life. I was trying to explain myself. My heart was beating fast with each step that I took. I reached the handle of the door and slowly opened the door only to see the darkness inside. I stepped inside thinking that the killer might have escaped for good, but I could easily tell that there was someone else there too, and suddenly there are colourful lights all over the room and al my family and friends saying, "SURPRISE" with a huge smile on their faces. But I had a shocked look on my face I was not able to digest it all. Where was the killer? What is my family doing here in this creepy place? What kind of surprise are they giving me? "Oh! Will you just keep staring?" My mother said teasing me. I entered the room and looked around. It was splendidly decorated with ribbons and balloons and my birthday cake looking amazingly scrumptious. My name was printed on it in bold "SASHA". All of this was just perfect. It was more than I could wish for. My friends and family were there with me on my birthday just seemed very unreal. "Oh come on blow the candles and cut the cake before its midnight," said my best friend Steffy with a cell in her hand ready to capture this beautiful moment. I checked the time. It was 11:58 pm just two minutes to midnight. My perfect birthday just in the nick of time. I closed my eyes and blew every candle on my cake. "Make a wish". I wished for just one thing "These amazing people surrounding me, my friends and family, should always remain by my side no matter what." I cut the cake and before I could feed anyone the first piece, my whole face was covered in cream. A big disadvantage or should I say a curse of having best friends, cake lands on your face before your tongue can taste it. It was an amusing scene to look at. My three BFF's laughing at me while I am licking the cream on my face. My birthday was over just in time and just the way I wanted it to. Now it was the time to sort all the mess in my brain. I go to Shrau, Steffy, and Siya demanding an explanation. "We thought you will be clever enough to put two and two together but on second thoughts the plan was put together really well by great minds like us. Even a mastermind would not be able to figure it out." Said Siya giving Shrau a high-five. "So the killer, the note it was all part of the plan? I asked. "Of course! Yes".

"Guys next think of a less creepy birthday plan. I was scared out of my wits. Well, thank you so much for this amazing birthday party it meant so much to me. Flying back from India just for me... girls I love you so much!" I had tears rolling down my eyes, but those were tears of joy, affection, and love for my family and friends. Hey, crybaby who said we came here for you? We came here to London which you are going to give us a tour of" I started laughing. These guys always have a way of making me laugh. "Sure. Why not? But only if you promise to live with me for the rest of your stay." "Deal"

Well, you become the luckiest person in the whole world when your family becomes your friends and your friends become your family. I am already the luckiest of the lucky.

July 31, 2020 13:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Steve McKenney
11:28 Aug 06, 2020

I liked your story Shrisha, it was a clever way to plan a birthday surprise. I would recommend spacing it out into different paragraphs though, instead of one long paragraph. Good job though.

Reply

04:05 Aug 07, 2020

Thank you so much for your insights. This is my first time writing a story. I would keep in mind to space it out the next time. I am glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.