sabotage burned

Written in response to: Write a story that involves sabotage.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Crime Thriller

Sabotage Burned

Downtown Cincinnati OH

BOOM!

The concrete walls fall as the Cincinnati Fire Department arrives at the popular Fountain Square. Crowds run in panic as the walls of the glass building falls in the surrounding area.

Hamilton County and Cincinnati Police officials clear the most noted popular spot of noontime activity.

“CLEAR OUT!”

“THIS AREA IS NOT SAFE!”

Sirens wail in the region as the once quiet city of Cincinnati now is hit by a urban terrorism attack. Rescue workers begin to free some of the visitors by dragging to a secure place. As the area becomes a small ground zero compared to the World trade center on September 11, 2001.

American Red Cross trucks pull up with rescue workers as the area become closed off until the area is secured. A dark Ford escapade pulls up with its flashing blue-plum lights as the

skies open up with rain. However the fountain Lady Cincinnati holds her ground as the area becomes a crime scene in the history books.

“This is ABC News, Fifth Third on fountain square is now the latest in a stream of building collapses in the United States. We are fortunate that the events have occurred at 10 pm and the

area only had a number of bar patrons and the fatality count is a minimum. We will be hearing word from both Sheriff Savannah Smith and Cincinnati Police and Fire Commissioners Guy Kelly

and James Knight in a few moments.”

. Agents Robert Mitchell and his FBI team of investigators work their way towards the crime scene in typical CSI body scrubs and hard hats each carrying their evidence cases

Sheriff Smith steps up to the microphone joined by a red haired man in fire uniform and a black man in dark blue BDUS. “Good evening about 2 hours ago the right wall on the Fifth Third bank collapsed and it is reported that an explosion occurred. The FBI was nice enough to send their PERT team out of the Hamilton County Office to assist Fire Marshal Kelly and Deputy police Commissioner in the upcoming investigation. As of now we have had 15 people injured and three deaths of construction workers working inside the building at the time.

“Hamilton County Sheriff Department and Cincinnati Police will lead the investigation with evidence reports of the FBI PERT team. Though it is an ongoing investigation we are still putting the pieces in place. Thank You.” On those words the brown female sheriff exits the news platform ignoring the press.

Moments later

Mitchell joins his team which includes Reese Williams a former Texas ranger who now is working like US Marshal for his team, Johnny High-Eagles a BIA Tribal Police Tracker and former Corpsman with the US marines overseas for five years, Dr. Alison Kim Forensic pathologist and new member Gabriel Santiago an ATF and Flash-flood rescue diver who got his training with Mitchell at Quantico ATF-FBI Lab in Huntsville Alabama. Sheriff Smith joins the PERT team and is greeted by Mitchell who wears a standard FBI PERT Scrubs and has a professionally trimmed brown beard. “Nice show Savannah, how is it going?”

“Let me make it clear Mitchell this is not a FBI investigation the only reason Knight and I called you in was because of your expertise in explosive crime scenes. Am I clear?”

“Crystal, Savannah/”

“Has the fire department and structural engineers cleared the place to be swept by your team?”

“My team is about to go in and sweep the place. I understand the night workers claimed they heard a hiss before the bomb went off?”

“That's what the WITS claimed but from my understanding the construction team was using simple demo charges before the whole place went BOOM.”

“I don't see construction workers using Det-cords but its a start. Any idea about the demolition team?”

“There was talk about blowing a few walls but not the magnitude that went off.” comments Smith “I will have my Intelligence bureau look into any demolition orders put in for this site.”

“I'll have Alison help your Intel team out after she helps with the autopsies.”

The two are joined by a black man in dark blue BDUS. His manner shows a look of not

wanting to deal with the Feds. “Agent Mitchell is it?”

“That would be me Deputy Chief Knight .What can I do for you?”

“What have your Feds found out was it intentional or accidental?”

“We were waiting for the clear sign by structural engineers, Deputy Chief. I was just getting some Intel from Sheriff Smith here.”

“We are not paying you for opening an investigation, you are only here by better ties with the new DC Administration. So you leave your Intelligence out of our case.”

“The clues only help us make it easier to put a MO together Chief.”

“Fine but I do not like it if you excuse me I have a few politicians to deal with on this disaster.” On those words Knight leaves the other authorities alone.

“Pleasant guy I take it.”

“He just hates jurisdiction disputes with the Feds and Hamilton County Sheriff department.

If you excuse me I need to talk more with the local delegates. Just remember Mitchell this is a Cooperative investigation you let my people and the Cincinnati Police what is going on. Okay.”

“No problem Savannah, I have a crime scene to sweep.” As the two authorities go in opposite directions.

Inside Crime Scene

Mitchell and his team join the CSI team that is sweeping the structure for any additional clues. Mitchell is joined by Reese and Santiago. In the distance Dr. Kim and Johnny High- eagle finish wrapping up the last body killed by the explosion.

“What did you guys find for us?” Inquires Mitchell as he adjusts his mask in the Crime scene.

“Looks like the demolition people used some type illegal Det-cord, chief. We both saw these babies from the FBI-ATF lab in Huntsville.” comments Santiago as he shows what is rest of a detonation cord to Mitchell.

Mitchell reaches for it and examines it closely. “So this was a professional job and not an accident am I correct, Flash-fire?”

“That is my take, Chief.”

Mitchell turns to Reese. “Reese make a few calls to our CIS and see if any of them heard about a hit on Fifth third bank by an explosives Fire-bug”

“I will do that. What about the rest of the crime scene.?”

“Flash-fire and I will go through the scene. And than I will handle the Politicians of the area.”

Mitchell looks over to Dr. Kim and High-eagle. “Alison what have you got for me?”

“The pre-autopsy shows that the three men were construction workers for Apex Demolition and two were killed by the back blast. However the body we just covered up was shot by a shell through his neck. Than it got caught in the back blast. Looks weird to me.” Comments the short brown haired Asian woman.. .

“Most likely the guy who got shot saw the Det-cord being used by the others and attempted to stop it.” inquires Johnny High-eagle the Chippewa detective and tracker .

“Good theory but who was responsible?”

“ I got something chief, I got news that Apex Demolition is a cover for an Albania Gang and were planning on buying up a few stores from the bank. But the bank said no.” quickly speaks Reese while putting away his smart-phone.

“Do we have a name for the gang?”

“Yes, my CI said it is related to the Kano gang.”

“Well let OC know and lets have a talk with the Kano people. Good job team. “ directs Mitchell

Early morning hours

A trio of dark SUVS and ATV truck pulls up to a rough part of Cincinnati. Several gang members stand outside using illegal substances among them, Mitchell and the HRT team made up of Cincinnati, FBI and Hamilton County Deputies get out of their vehicles clad in Urban green BDUS and Flak jackets. The team is led by Mitchell and Reese clad in similar dress.

“GO! GO! GO!”

The SWAT team forces its way towards the Albanian teens firing off their rubber bullets as the pair of teens fire off .38 shells at the SWAT team. A gun-battle erupts and several gang members storm out of the rear townhouse. Firing on the joint SWAT team .

“GET DOWN! GET DOWN!” yells the SWAT team as the Albanians attempt to put up a fight but are soon taken down by the SWAT professionals. Several SWAT team members place plastic cuffs on the members of the Kano gang.

Reese looks hard at one of the teens and yells at him. Giving his best bad cop look seen in movies.

“YOU WANT TO GET KILLED PUNK!”

“LISTEN UP TO UNCLE BADGE!”

Badge wanders over and joins Reese and the kid. “ Listen UP! We know Michael Kano had an interested at Fountain Square. Now tell me where we can find him.”

“I don't know where Mike y is all I know is he wanted to open a joint op on certain shops in Fountain square, I don't know why he wanted to blow it up. Mike y is I Cmendur.”

“Is that true crew?”

The Albanian crew shake their heads. “ He kill us if we broke the code of Bas. That's all we know PIG.”

Mitchell shakes his head as the SWAT team exits with remaining crew members in the gunfight.

High-eagle joins Mitchell. “ Any idea what to do now since the punks are afraid of their code of honor thing?”

“I'm working on it.” answers Mitchell as the two are joined by Flash-fire Santiago at their truck. “Tell me you got something Flash-fire?”

“I might, I got a call from the lab and they said the Det-cord is Russian but it expired a few months back.”

“Which means?'

“Somebody sold Kano a bad batch of Det-cord.”

Mitchell massages his brown-gray beard. “That is a start but who else wants to buy up Fountain Square.”

“Two possibilities Russians or the Serbs. Since we put away one of the major lieutenants of the Serbs a little while ago.”

“Good MO, rookie. Lets take a visit to our Serb gang boss in prison.”

“Wash up boys we are going up to Chillicothe.”

The End... .

.  

October 08, 2021 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.