4 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult

“Move!” Gabby hopped back in the car, throwing the bag of coins in the back of the car as I moved the gear shift, pressed my foot on the accelerator, and took off. 

“I can’t believe it’s happening. Check Ins are today.” She sighed, clearly holding back tears. 

Check Ins. 

They’ve been around since Fallsted was first formed. My parents made the rules clear.

Don’t be out at night. Mask. If you get found, lie. 

September 22nd, every year. Fall Guards break into the cities, capturing the imperfects, the defects, those who aren’t seen as perfect, the glitches. 

It was hard for most to see them, unless there was an incident. Gabby pulled out the parchment from the glovebox, reading off the poster. 

“Those that possess the super ability gene,” I sighed.

“Are to be reported and tied to be taken for Reprogrammation.” Gabby read off. 

Reprogrammation. 

Where if you weren’t seen as idle, as useful to society, you were taken to be “worked on.” 

Everyone heard the stories, the screams. The trauma. Someone who came back from the High Place was brainwashed. All they’d speak about was the spiritual breakthrough, and how their life changed. No one knew what happened, just the rumors. Shock chairs, tasers, the manipulation. There’s a reason I’ll be damned before I ever follow this place’s religion. Or any religion. 

“We gotta get out of here. We’ll get Mom, go a few cities, then abandon the car.” I told my sister. 

We’d either get out of here or die trying. 

They were trying to stop the glitches from having kids, encouraging abortion or signing them over to the government after birth. Mom was supposed to hand us over, Dad told us to hide. I remember that night. 

September 22st, last year. My seventeenth birthday.

“They’re here!” Our mom called out, her dove white dress with lilacs clung to her ankles, the sweat dripping down her face. 

“We need to run. I can get them to the car.” Dad was gripping our wrists. 

“No! There’s no time. We just need to turn them in.” Mom sighed, giving up. She was a glitch, but managed to marry a guy who’d accept her. The rules were simple. You can live in the High Towns if a non glitch wants to marry you. You’d just stay inside. Stay hidden. Serve the house, without anyone knowing you existed. Your kids were taken if they had the gene, tested when they’re 12. 

Gabby ran to Mom, Dad never could contain her. 

“Mom, you can’t. If they take us -” 

“I know.” She wiped her face. Being a glitch was hard enough, glitches who were girls, especially of color, had it worse. We all knew about the five who were killed in Reprogrammation. Dad always theorized it was more. So did I. 

“I’m not letting you turn in our girls, Luz,”

“You think I want to! I told you we could’ve avoided this whole thing. Give them to the FA, and go on with life.” 

“You mean you would’ve just let them take us?” I shook free from Dad. 

“What other choice is there?” 

“Buy us back. Isn’t it $6000 to keep us?” I kept trying to stop this. 

“Each, Erica. 6 for you, and 6 for your sister. And you know your dad doesn’t have that lying around! Barely anyone wants to have someone with us associated with them.” When I was at school one day, I had a meltdown. After that, and Dad never attending his work galas with a girl at his side, they figured it out. Glitches don’t work unless it’s in house. Babysitting, sewing, baking. That’s Mom’s speciality - brownies.

A bang at the door. 

“Open up Parkers!” 

“Hide.” Dad motioned for us to go upstairs in the wardrobe. We knew not to disobey. 

The walls were thin, so we could hear the door opening up and the FA coming in. 

“Do the spell.” I motioned to my little sister. Gabby used a spell so that we could see in the kitchen. The guards took off their hats, and sat down at the table. Dad was almost trying to block Mom, who was opening the fridge. 

“Anything to eat, gentlemen?” Her business voice. 

“No, we’ll only be here a moment.” One of them pulled out a notebook. 

“We hear you have a few glitches on your hands,” His voice sounded like someone who smokes without restraint. 

“Yes, me.” Mom set two cups down for the gentlemen, chamomile tea filling them. I wished we could have them, maybe calm us down a little. 

“Married, correct?” They nodded. 

“Any children?” Mom shuddered, scratching at her face. 

“Yes, sir.” Dad looked at her as soon as the words left her mouth. Shit. 

“And are they home?” The one talking stood up.

“No, officer…” 

“Aspen.” 

“Aspen.” Dad nodded. 

“Where are they?” His voice changed, like he could tell they were lying. 

“Out getting more material for the wife.” Dad stepped in. 

“Ah, you’re trying to be a senator, correct?” He gestured to Dad, the soon to be politician. 

“Yes, sir.” 

“It’s obvious. You’re too good a liar!” The cops began storming their way out of the kitchen, towards the stairs. 

To the wardrobe. 

“What the he -” 

“Shh.” I shoved my hand over Gabby’s mouth. 

We waited, hearing the footsteps pounding on the wood floor as it creaked. 

Mom is seriously about to get us killed. We had the chance to run. With our powers, we could’ve escaped by now. 

“Where are those little devils?” 

Devils. A primary nickname for us glitches. 

Things were crashing, our Dad was shouting, I think he was following them. 

The door of the wardrobe was thrown open and we were pulled out. 

“Found em Plunksy.” Aspen said to the other guard. 

Wraps around our arms so we couldn’t escape. I couldn’t look at Mom or Dad. 

“Leave them, I have the cash.” 

“We know how much you make, it’s definitely not enough to keep the lil devils.” Aspen laughed. Next thing I knew, my sister and I were in their car, the smell of gas and dirt filled my nose. 

“Glitch proof ropes, damn it.” Gabby groaned at my attempts to get out. 

Our parents followed them outside, Dad was pleading. 

“Please, Darrell. Let them go.” Mom was trying to stop him from getting any closer. She didn’t even want him to say goodbye. Dad was fighting, pushing past them to get to us. By now, the neighbors had their lights on. I could see their faces in the blinds, spying. 

“Face me like a man!” My dad’s fist collided with Aspen’s face. A bloody nose and a bang sound later, and everyone was on the ground dead except Mom. 

“We can’t let what happened last year happen again, Gab.” I clutched her hand while my other one steered. She was shaking. I was close. 

“Mom said she never had to use her powers to kill, until they shot Dad.” She was holding it in, I knew she was.

“I know, sis. We’re almost home.” We managed to get home without anyone finding us, our powers tricking the guy chasing us. 

“Dear God, I was panicking! Where the hell-” 

“Mom, it’s ok. We’re going to be ok.” My hands were rubbing her shoulders, she was clearly tired. 

“Mom, have you been sewing all day?” I held her hands, her fingers were brittle, and red. She nodded.

“What else could I do? You two were gone knowing damn well what day it is.” 

She’s right. We were out trying to get more money. With just Mom, there’s not a lot we can do as glitches. I did my tutoring, Gabby was a perfected entertainer. Dad bought her tap shoes for her 14th birthday. One year later, and she was a natural. Mrs. Potstickker gave lessons to the kids. We were going there tonight, but to live. We could be servants for her, and stay in the High Towns. 

“We’re sorry.” Gabby came into the room with the coin bag.

“And what the hell is that?” Mom was ballistic, terrified of a repeat of last year. 

“It’s my birthday. She wanted to give me a gift.” Mom’s hands were on her hips, not pleased. 

“Cut the crap. Where did you get the coins?” She knew what we did. The look of utter disbelief and disappointment was written across her face. 

“We’re getting out of here. Tonight. And you’re coming with us.” I rubbed her hands. 

“God! I refuse to listen to this. I’m not going anywhere with you two. It’s either you guys need to finish packing for Potstickker, or I’m turning you in myself.” She stormed upstairs. 

“She’s not going to come with us, I told you Gab.” I’ve been trying to get her for weeks to snap out of that fantasy. 

“I know, I just thought she’d see how much we had planned, and she’d go for it.” She sat down on the steps, sulking.

“Face it, she’d rather have us go to Stickkers and never see us again then come with us and be happy.” 

She nodded, knowing I was right. 

“We’re leaving, with or without her. I don’t give a crap anymore. We’ve been burdens to her forever, we may as well lighten the load. Leave her some coins.” 

We were finishing up our bags, each with some coins split, and some left for Mom when we heard a knock at the door.

“Who could be at the door?” I lifted my head, stuffing the last of my ripped textbooks in my bag. 

“Girls, come here.” Mom called us down. I swear, if she called Potstickker I’m running. Luckily we had our bags on our shoulders. When we saw who was at the door, I was furious. 

“General, Aspen. Pleasure to see you.” Officer Richard Aspen’s brother. The one who killed Dad. 

“Good day, ladies.” He took off his hat, staring at us. I looked at Mom.

“You didn’t.” 

“It’s for your own good. You might like Reprogrammation. You won’t have to,” 

“Fuck you.” I ran outside, grabbing Gabby’s wrist. There was another cop outside, and they snatched us, stuffing us in the car like we were nothing. 

“I can’t believe she did this to us. We’re gonna get annihilated.” She sighed, being completely serious. Who knows what they would do to us. 

Mom came to the car, looking at us through the window. 

“They said they’d give me enough money for the house, they’re gonna protect you.” 

We stayed silent. 

“I did it for you.” I looked at her, and she looked like a total stranger. 

“The only thing you’ve done is make us feel like we shouldn’t exist. We’re not monsters.”

“You’re glitches! And stubborn ones at that.” 

“And what are you? A typical?” Gabby scoffed. 

“I can mask, you can learn that while you’re there.” The venom in her voice hurt. 

“Don’t worry. We’ll get out.” I rolled up the window, blocking her out of our lives.

Aspen came in the car and started the engine. 

“We got another one to pick up, then we’re good to head to High Place.” 

We picked up a boy, he had to be my age. He had a black eye and a bruise on his face. 

I couldn’t look. 

“Hi.” Gabby’s naive spirit picked the wrong time to try and make conversation.

“I’m Gabby. This is my sister, Erica.” 

“Hi.” I muttered. 

“Eilson.” He took one look at me, and then looked away. 

Aspen groaned.

 “Shut up you lil devils.” He pushed a button, and this gas filled the back of the car. The three of us were gasping for air as the two officers drove down the interstate.

November 17, 2020 01:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Simanga Kunene
22:29 Nov 25, 2020

I have a feeling I will be worrying about the 'glitches'. That is what vivid writing does it leaves us with memories.

Reply

Djuanna Lester
01:25 Nov 29, 2020

any predictions?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Wagner
21:47 Nov 25, 2020

It definitely gets a gut reaction. The writing is well done, didn't notice any glaring mistakes. I'm guessing that 'glitch' is just a name and they're not in a video game, it definitely reminds me of Divergent more than anything. Not my favorite book, but it's a page turner, and your story prompts me to keep reading for similar reasons. Good job

Reply

Djuanna Lester
01:26 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you. Yeah, they're not in a video game. I was inspired by those dystopian books, so the correlation is pretty cool.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.