0 comments

Friendship Inspirational

This story contains themes or mentions of substance abuse.

Just a heads up: This story deals with alcohol addiction recovery. :) Thanks for reading. I hope you find it encouraging. 


----------------------------------------------------------------


There are two types of people in this world: humans and cats. They can be annoying. They may throw a wrench into our lives and plans. But we love them anyway.

I am sitting by the window with my recovery journal in hand. My friend limps over to join me. One eye is missing as a testament to his tendency to rush into things. One foot is mangled from a misstep on a busy day. He manages on his other three paws. Even though it was my fault his foot was injured, he forgave me and even loves me, more than I deserve. As I watch my cat rub his face on my anniversary bouquet of flowers, I pat his head. A raspy purr rumbles out of his throat. I smile. He is happy. I am happy. He was injured and broken. So was I. But we make the most of it- he and I against the world. 

--------

“You’ve had enough.”

“No.” I blinked, the bartender’s face swimming before me.

“You’re in my tavern. I say, get out.”

I knew better than to keep pushing Jimmy. His ale was the best; I would not want to be banned from his tavern. My hand reached to push my stool back as the other reached for my mug. The mug was farther away than I expected. My hand slapped it by accident, spilling it onto my dress, joining the stain from two days ago, the blood spot from a fisticuffs, last week’s ale stain, and mud from sleeping out of doors. A drunken shout slipped from my mouth and I scowled at the attention it drew.

I staggered out the Bell-in-Hand tavern’s door and into the sunny Massachusetts day. The tavern overlooked a spacious green park, and beyond that, the ocean. But before me lay the bustling Union Street. The traffic noise bounced around my head like a gunshot. I scowled at the world.

“Meow!” 

My head jerked toward the sound and I winced as the world spun. I glared at the creature who interrupted my moody thoughts. A hideous creature hid in the shadows of the veranda. 

“What do you want?”

The thing blinked and meowed again.

“Go on!” My feet carried me over. Before I knew what I was doing, my foot swung back, ready to kick the mutt. I didn’t really want to hurt it, just scare it a bit. 

I was just so tired of feeling this way. Tired of being tired, listless, sick, and angry. Tired but unable to stop. The poor beast was just an outlet for my frustration. 

The scraggly mutt blinked- no, winked. It only had one eye left. With a great grunt, I stopped my foot from colliding with it. This threw me off balance and I collided with the wall. 

“Look’t you made me do! Go on!” I chased the stray, with no goal beyond removing his judgemental gaze from my sight. “Ey! Move!”

It finally took off, bolting into the heavy traffic. A biker swerved, someone shouted, a cat yowled, and suddenly my hands were around the mangy thing. When had I followed it?

“Get you and your cat out of my way!” A driver shouted, each word ringing against my groggy brain. 

“Not’m cat,” I slurred. How did I end up in the middle of the street? “Sorry.”

A gentle hand tapped my arm. “Ma’am? Miss, come this way.” I listed sideways but the stranger firmed his grip and his voice to steady me. “This way.”

My heart thumped as the adrenaline wore off. Someone was still yelping. It had begun to rain.

The stranger held out a tissue as I realized it wasn’t raining and the poor mutt was yelping.

“What happened?”

“Your cat bolted and got stepped on.” 

I could feel its little heart thumping fast even as mine steadied.

“It’s probably injured,” the man continued.

“It was my fault! I chased it and it got hurt!” I sobbed. I held out the mongrel, turning to face the stranger now that we were out of danger. “Here.”

He brushed a strand of brown hair from his face but made no move to take it. “Is it not your cat?”

I cried. Through my tears, I caught him wrinkling his nose, whether at me, my smell, the beastie, or my words I don’t know. “I’m a terrible person!” He glanced around at my wailing. 

“Hush. People are watching us. Perhaps you need a coffee?”

“I need the mongrel to be all right!”

He took it from my arms, though it hissed and tried to claw him. “Ouch!” He dropped it. It yelped before darting off.

“How could you?!” My tears dried up in my anger. “It’s hurt, and you hurt it more!”

“Come.” His voice brooked no argument. I didn’t have the strength to resist his firm hold. “You need to get sober.”

“I-I stink.”

He raised his dark eyebrows. “I noticed.”

“I can’t go with you.”

The eyebrows rose further, almost into the hood of his sweatshirt. “You need to.”

I shook my head and the world tilted. “Tomorrow.” 

“Fine. I’ll see you tomorrow at the same time.”

I nodded and gave him a vigorous handshake before I knew what I was doing. Tomorrow at this time. I can’t be drunk this time. What did I agree to?


--


My head ached as I stretched awake. Unsavory smells lingered in the air and I groaned, gagging. Only some of the odors were from the nearby horse’s stall.I regained my balance and slipped out of the barn before anyone would find me, snagging a bucket on the way out. My clothes were damp from my dousing last night, but I needed to clean up more. 

“Meow!” 

I jumped. “Mongrel?”

“Meow!” Why was I disappointed it was just a barn cat?

I filled up my bucket at the nearby well and cleaned up as best I could in the barn where I hid. I was so thirsty. Glancing around for observers, I submerged my head and gulped greedily. I need something to get rid of this headache. Barely remembering to toss the bucket back to the horse’s stall, my feet led me towards the Bell-in-Hand tavern, just a few minutes away. I reached an intersection. Looking both ways, my eyes caught on a familiar face. Scowling, I remembered my promise. 

I may be many things, but an oath-breaker I am not. I tromped down the street towards him. 

The man had the audacity to smile at my expression. His brilliant smile contrasted nicely with his dark hoodie but made me more annoyed with him. “How do you feel?”

“Go away.”

“We made a promise to get coffee today. You look better.”

I pursed my lips when he held out his arm. When he kept it in the air, I begrudgingly took it. At first glance, we appeared to be a contented couple, but on closer inspection, my stains stood out like a sore thumb in contrast to my escort’s clean outfit.

Something bolted in the alley across from us.

“Mongrel?” 

“I’m sorry?”

“I…keep thinking I’m seeing the mangy beast from yesterday.”

“He’s not yours?”

“No, but he bolted into the traffic because of me. I feel a… sort of bond to him. Like I should be concerned for his fate, because of that.”

He steered the conversation as well as he steered me, winkling out sentences, listening as if he cared. I even managed to forget my headache, for a little while. 

I could smell the Crown Coffee-House’s coffee before we arrived. He held the door open, gesturing me in with a royal sweep of his arm. I was a bit disappointed that the motion required him to remove his arm from mine. 


---


I enjoyed the coffee more than I expected. The strong brew helped me wake up further. 

“If you meet me here tomorrow, I will get coffee with you, as long as you have not visited Bell-in-Hand Tavern.”

“You know, just who are you, to be so interested in my well-being?”

“I saw you… and the cat. You both looked so pitiful.” A small smile crossed his face. “How could I not help? I know how it feels.”

I stared at him, but he just tipped his head and adjusted his sweatshirt. “Tomorrow.” 


---


“Where were you this morning?” Jimmy asked.

“Not here.”

“I know, that surprised me.”

“Well, maybe I’m trying to change!” I snapped. Guilt gnawed at me. If only I had one drink, that would be fine. I could still meet Mister Annoying.

 Jimmy looked at me. “You still want a drink?”

I gnawed on my lip while guilt gnawed on my conscience. “Yes. Just one. Please.”

He raised his eyebrows just like the annoying stranger did. Ugh. “Just one ale, coming up.”


---


Don’t go for one. It turns into two, three. I lost count. I spent the night vomiting.


---


“Meow?” The barn cat’s back. The headache was back too, with vengeance. The barn cat didn’t move. I finally cracked an eye open to examine my companion. One-eyed and scruffy, the mangy fleabag sat near my head.

“Mongrel!” I croaked, almost choking on my tongue which felt too large for my mouth. “I-I-I’s sorry.” I winced as it stood and revealed its mangled front paw. 

“That was my fault.”

“Mrrp?” It gave a one-eyed blink.

“I was drunk. I was angry. I am sorry.” Reaching for the bucket, I repeated my process from yesterday. The mongrel kept me company. “You shouldn’t like me. I hurt you.” It bumped my hand. Tears sprung to my eyes. I patted its scraggly little head as it purred. “Do you think he will notice I drank?” 

The mutt stayed by my side as I walked toward our meeting spot. I had to slow down to accommodate his limp. I winced again. “Why are you staying with me?” The creature just purred when I bent down to pet it again.


---


I tried not to look guilty when I greeted the stranger. He frowned. “I can smell alcohol on you. You didn’t keep our bargain.” He flipped his hood up, turned, and walked away stiffly, taking my hope with him. Fine, be that way, Mister High-And-Mighty.

I would not cry. I would not show how much it hurt to have yet another person turn their back on me. My only companion was the mongrel I hurt.

I needed another drink, but the shaggy creature followed me there too. Once on the veranda, I turned to it. “You probably shouldn’t come in. You might get hurt again.” I went to push the door open, but it twirled around my legs.

“No. Stay.”

“Mrrp.”

I picked it up, ignoring the throbbing in my temples, and deposited it , gently as I remembered its injury, into the grass. By the time I reached the door, it was already there. “How?! You’re annoying me!”

I walked to the grass. It followed. “You’re stuck to me now, huh?” Looking at the injury that I caused, something inside me broke. “Come here.” It followed my hand to my lap, then hesitantly placed one paw after the other on my skirt. “That’s it. I bet you’re hungry, aren’t you? I’ll go see if Jimmy-”

“Mrow.” 

“You’re right. I shouldn’t go in there.” My own stomach rumbled in protest. Tomorrow. Tomorrow I will find the stranger again, and I will get my cat help.


---


I stopped in my tracks outside the tavern. “You came.”

His mouth curved up in a welcoming smile. “I had my doubts, but I persisted. So did you, it seems. You look better. And you brought your cat with you.”

My face felt strange. I felt it with one hand to discover I was actually smiling! “Yes, he helped me out yesterday. And in return, he needs help. He’s hungry and sickly. I’ve never had a pet before.” 

He reached into the deep pockets of his characteristic dark green hoodie and pulled out a few small pill bottles. “I was also hoping to find him. My friend gave me these. He rehabilitates animals. They will help prevent some pain and complications that could come from his injury.”

“Wonderful!”

“Mrrp.”

My cat did not make it easy to give him the medicine. He would not drink it, so the stranger purchased some treats and that worked… twice. He spit it out, before turning his tail toward it. 

The stranger stood up as the cat’s tail waved us off. “I’m going with my family to visit some friends. We’re leaving in a few days.”

His family. Of course he has a family. Probably a respectable wife who didn’t drink and swear, with little children running around. “Thanks for letting me know.”

“I’m sorry it was the only time that worked for both my parents and I.”

A bit of my happiness returned. Just his parents. Not a wife. Why did I have to keep a giddy laugh from slipping out of me?

“My name is Faith Michaels.”

“Miss Michaels,” he took my hand and gazed into my eyes. His dark green hoodie complemented his dark eyes. “Gerald Winters.”

Gerald Winters. He could hardly be a stranger now that I knew his name.


---


The following day was rainy. The cat did not follow me, and the stranger- Gerald- didn’t appear. A bit dejected, I began the familiar route to the Bell-in-Hand. I side-stepped some passerby and reached the veranda, where the mangy cat sat in the window frame.

“Mongrel. Where were you? It’s time for your medicine.”

“Meow!” 

“I’m getting a drink first.”

“Murp.”

“I know, but I promise this time it’s just one. I’ve gone two days without it.” 

It jumped to the floor, then yelped and hopped before bolting into the bushes. 

“Mongrel!” I searched but didn’t see my cat, so I went inside and talked to Jimmy, who let me take my mug out.

“See, I’m back! And Jimmy gave me some cold meat for you. After your medicine.”

I took the bottles from my pockets and sat down. The ale was so cool against my throat. My eyes slid closed in enjoyment before I jumped at a touch on my knee.

“Meow.”

“Hello, cat. How are you feeling?” I brought the mug to my lips and closed my eyes. “Ouch! You nipped me!”

“Mrrp.” He winked.

“You don’t need to sound proud of that.” I set my mug to the side, and the cat rubbed his face on it, sniffed it, and sneezed into its contents. “Bad cat!”

“Mrrp.”

I tossed him a small piece of turkey. “Here. Let me be.” I picked up the mug and remembered what he just did. I set it down. 

“Fine. Medicine time.”

I removed the turkey and placed the medicine on its plate. “Take your medicine, and I won’t drink today.”

“Mrow.”

“Please take your medicine. I’ll give you some turkey too. Cold turkey, hah! Come on.” I was glad the crowd moved away and were not watching my embarrassing conversation. Resting my chin on my elbows, I leaned over my cat and took a deep breath. “How about this, fluffball- you drink all your medicine, and I won’t drink any more of mine.”

“Meow.” A slow deliberate wink. Almost as if… 

He took a lick of his drink. A shudder went through him and I hurriedly added the turkey to the plate, too elated to believe my eyes. I coaxed him while he cleaned the plate. Before he set to cleaning himself, he fixed me with a stern look, if cats had any expression besides haughty. 

“Don’t worry, Mongrel. I may be a lot of things, but I’m not an oathbreaker.”


---


“You look better.” A voice that I dreamed to hear broke through my thoughts. I glanced down, smiling at the apron that covered my clean but faded dress. Though he had been gone for a week, I had not broken my vow to my cat, who now looked much healthier. I had applied for a job from the Crown’s Coffee-House; even though it did not pay much, it was good and honest work. And I had not had that in a long time.

“Mr. Winters.”

“I could not find you when I returned. I checked… your usual haunt, hardly daring to hope you’d be elsewhere.”

I raised my chin. “You were not around to be the motivation. So my cat was.” He smiled as I gestured to our surroundings “I found work.”

His infuriatingly dark eyebrows rose. “I see that.” He cast an eye over the dimly lit interior, noticing a few customers with drinks, including some… stronger ones.

“They don’t let me pour the drinks. I just clean up. But I like the work.” I gave a decisive nod. Gerald Winters stepped closer, his eyes warming me up better than ale ever could. 

“I am very glad to hear that, Miss Michaels.” 

I swallowed to coat my suddenly dry mouth. “Th-thank you.” I cleared my throat after a pause and stepped back. “Have you seen my cat? He should be outside the coffee house somewhere.”

“Yep. He looks well. What is his name now?”

--------

“Prince Mongrel.” I look over at my human when she calls my name. Faith is her name. I had faith in her before I even knew her name. I rub the flowers, sniff the water, and sneeze in them. She groans, but there is no heat in it. I limp over and let her rub my head. She likes it when I purr. Perhaps she is reminded that I would never turn tail on her, despite our precipitous introduction. She and her human, Gerald, are the nicest people I’ve ever met. And Faith has kept true to her promise. She was broken, and so was I. She is happy now, and so am I. She and I, against the world. 







March 03, 2023 18:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.