This Infernal Pest (told from the pets pov)

Submitted into Contest #38 in response to: Write a story about someone who is working from home and constantly getting distracted by their pet. ... view prompt

2 comments

General

The two cats sat on the fence looking down into the neighbor's yard at the new labrador puppy that was now next doors barking as usual. The calico cat looked over at his friend and sighed “Now I have to guard this fence as well as avoid the humans” the black cat beside him looked confused “what do you mean I thought they just slept all day now?” they were clearly surprised by this new information.


The calico shook his head “they were but then suddenly they woke up early and went to bed early and still are. They walk around the house cleaning or sitting in front of there bright toys and making this annoying clicking noise for hours” the black cat nodded “that sounds annoying I remember when my human did that but then she started to leave the house again” the worst of it passing for them and only beginning for the calico cat. 

   

There was a sudden flash behind him, making the calico turn and witness for the third time today his human taking a picture of him. He turned and ignored them looking back at the black cat “this is the third time today before I was just laying down and relaxing and suddenly a bright flash went off right in front of me. At this point, I am used to it, unfortunately,” the human went back inside but left the back patio door open.


The black cat was silent as the other spoke still “this isn't even the worst thing they have done, I will be in the window watching for any intruders and then suddenly they pick me up and hold me for no reason. And! What's worse is that they just say my name over and over while making this weird clicking noise with their mouth. And talk in a loud voice until they put me down and finally leave me alone” the black cat couldn't help but laugh. 


The calico’s tail began to jerk back and forth “what's so funny huh!” the black cat stifled their laughs and spoke with amusement in their tone “isn't that what normally happens?” the calico was quick to shake his head “no not as much as it has been happening to me now. Every day they are home and each time I pat their face and warn them but they never listen they only get closer” the calico let out another exhausted sigh.


The dog began to scratch at the wall looking up at the two cats and barked playfully this elicited a hiss from the two of them making the dog back off and run off to his chew toy. Black cat cleared their throat and spoke “well I suppose that would be insufferable at a certain point” their voice now empathetic. The calico nodded “see what I mean, I mean sure I never leave the house but that's because I have to make sure no pests come in and invade my home the same as you. If we weren't here right now that dog would be in my yard I am sure of it” he said thoroughly convinced of that fact. 


The black cat stood up and stretched “well that's true, and we still need time to clean ourselves as well” the calico cat turned and looked at the other “exactly but I feel like now I have no time for that even. I am always being pet or picked up no matter the time or place when they sleep is my only break” you could practically hear the annoyance in his voice. The black cat began to walk away. “Well I am hungry see you tomorrow at the same time” he left without another word.


The calico looked in the neighbor's yard not seeing the dog anymore and jumped off the fence and into the grass of his own backyard. It was sunset by now as well as a little cloudy but he was hungry as well, luckily he was given more wet food as of late if that was any consolation to all this annoyance he was brought. 


Walking inside he went right into the kitchen where his bowl of dry food and water dish was and began to eat. He felt a hand go down his back as he ate and flicked his tail looking up at the human. She smiled brightly “its dinner time for the both of us, mommy worked so hard today I think I might have carpal tunnel now” the Calico had no clue what she was talking about all he cared about was his food. 


A loud beeping sound went off, making the woman stand up quickly and tend to her own dinner. The Calico ate till he was full and left the kitchen to go into the window he usually lay in falling asleep. He didn't wake till the middle of the night when there was suddenly a loud booming sound he jumped with hairs standing on end. After the noise subsided he saw that there was rain hitting the window and immediately jumped off the window sill and onto the ground.


The calico thought that it was over but when the same sounding boom reverberated through the house he jumped again at full alert this time. Someone was here they had to be, he was scared but also knew it was his job to protect the house. So he began to walk around the entire house jumping nearly every time the loud sound was heard again. 


When he came to his human's room though the door was open as she lay peacefully in bed. The calico began to meow loudly to wake the human and when she finally responded jumping at the sudden noise as well. She quickly recovered though and just smiled as the calico meowed trying to warn her that someone was here “aaw Sammy it's just a thunderstorm no need to be afraid” she lifted the covers and bent down to the ground and picked the calico up. 


The calico meowed annoyed, clearly, the human wasn't understanding the danger she was in but she was forced to get under the covers with the human held down. The human spoke soothingly as she petted the calico “it is okay just relax and sleep with mommy tonight it will be over soon” she yawned and closed her eyes relaxed. 


The calico suddenly felt her nerves die down as she purred, as much as she wanted to patrol the house again and complete her job of making sure the human was safe. He felt incredibly comfortable like this. The noise still kept her up but when the storm died down the calico fell asleep “why must you be such an infernal pest” he thought before he dozed off next to his human with his job unfinished but still happy and comfortable in the end.


April 19, 2020 01:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Crystal Lewis
13:47 Apr 26, 2020

I really liked how this story was from a cat's viewpoint. I think you captured the cattiness of them quite well. Just keep an eye out for any punctuation and grammar errors. Usually when someone starts speaking and you use talking marks, you start a new line. Then it helps to separate the speech from the normal parts of the story. :)

Reply

Holli Walsh
16:09 Apr 26, 2020

Thank you for the advice, and thank you for liking it as well. I will make sure to watch out for those things in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.