Infraction Record: Doyle, Florence

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

10 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary

Please note that the following story is told in Infraction Slips under the file of Florence H. Doyle at Greenwood Middle. Thank you for reading.

                ——————————

Date: April 5, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Interruption of Assembly 

Punishment: 1 Day of Detention

Notes: While I was speaking about the dress code for the seventh grade dance during our weekly assembly, Ms. Doyal interrupted me, claiming that the school dress code is “sexist” and “teaches girls to be ashamed of their bodies”. Outbursts like these will not be tolerated at this school. Punishment has been given.

Date: April 8, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mrs. Polk, History

Infraction: Unnecessary Physical Contact with Student

Punishment: Week of Detention

Notes: Mr. Jacobs, a fellow peer of Florence, was expressing his views on womens’ roles in society and how ladies should dress. Ms. Doyle stood up, and slapped him across the face. This sort of behavior is entirely inappropriate. When I spoke to Florence about respecting others’ opinions, she said that she will not respect them if they “encourage the patriarchy”. Punishment has been given.

Date: April 12, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Coach Spencer

Infraction: Language

Punishment: 1 Day of Detention

Notes: Florence seems to be exhibiting rude behavior. She told a fellow student he was “living in a fantasy world where boys were better than girls.” And that she was going to “beat the s*** out of him in the hundred meter dash”. Though she finished first (with an extremely impressive time, I might add) I must punish her for her unkind words. 

Date: April 12, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Hughe, Science

Infraction: I’m not sure what to put here — Unacceptable Behavior?

Punishment: 1 Additional Day of Detention

Notes: While talking about the human body in class, I mention a woman’s monthly cycle. After a male classmate asked what that was, Florence stood up, without permission, and described it for him by saying “a menstrual cycle is when blood pours uncontrollably from a girl’s vagina”. The male student then fainted. Please note that I thought it was hilarious, but I must punish her for causing harm to her fellow peer.

Date: April 13, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mrs. Polk, History

Infraction: Dress Coded

Punishment: Sent Home

Notes: Ms. Doyle came to school in a tank top and shorts. I repeatedly asked her to change, but she refused. Finally, I had to call her mother. Florence is not to come back until in proper attire.

Date: April 15, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Disregard for Rules

Punishment: 1 Day of Detention 

Notes: Ms. Doyle asked to see me about the dress code. When my assistant told her I was busy, she picked the lock to my office and came in anyway. She thought it would be proper to tell me how the dress code at school was targeted towards girls. I told her repeatedly that I don’t have time for this, but she can be quite persistent. I have noticed her Infraction Record has grown immensely and have warned her of suspension if her behavior continues.

Date: April 16,    2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Cobb, English

Infraction: Unacceptable Behavior

Punishment: Suspension

Notes: Florence took it upon herself to start a rally in the middle school cafeteria. Standing on the table, Ms. Doyle shouted “Overthrow the dress code! Overthrow the patriarchy". I am struggling to understand what she is talking about, but the other students began chanting it too. As this is not her first infraction, but one of many, I have no choice but to suspend her until further notice. She will be participating electronically in classes. Hopefully this is the last “overthrowing” we hear of for a while.

Date: April 28, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mrs. Polk, History

Infraction: Cheating on Test

Punishment: 2 Days of Detention

Notes: I caught Florence whispering to her classmate while taking the history exam. This is the first infraction since she has returned to school on Monday. Hopefully this is the last time I see her cheating on a test. Punishment has been performed. 

Date: April 30, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Disruption of School Day

Punishment: None

Notes: Florence orchestrated a school wide protest against the dress code, having her peers wear tank tops, ripped shorts, jeans, etc. During morning break, she and her fellow students stood on the playground refusing to go to class until the dress code was changed. After two hours, I called their parents to pick them up. Because they were expressing their first amendment rights, I am unable to punish the students involved.

Date: May 3, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Disruption of School Day

Punishment: None

Notes: Today the students of Greenwood Middle staged another protest, led by Florence Doyle. This time, more students joined their efforts. Holding signs, students marched through the hallways, “demanding change”. Because they were expressing their first amendment rights, I am unable to punish the students involved.

Date: May 4, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Disruption of School Day

Punishment: None

Notes: These students are very relentless. Yet again, Florence led an even larger protest against the school dress code. This time, they sat in the cafeteria, silently, and refused to move until policies were updated. I had to call their parents to send them home. Because they were expressing their first amendment rights, I am unable to punish the students involved.

Date: May 7, 2021

Name: Florence Doyle

Teacher, Subject: Mr. Harrold, Head of School

Infraction: Protesting

Punishment: None

Notes: I should have known the students were being quiet for a reason. During the weekly assembly, Florence led another protest against the dress code by giving a speech during the “student announcement” portion. Here is a direct transcript:

Hello. I’m Florence Doyle. Class Representative, bisexual, feminist, leader. 

    There is great injustice in our school’s handbook. One that has affected one girl after another, teaching them to be ashamed of their bodies, and who they are. Greenwood Middle has been telling generations of girls to dress for men, act for men, and obey the men in our society for far too long. We need to put a stop to this before more girls lose their self confidence. Mr. Harrold, the students of Greenwood are asking for one thing. We want to dress how we want to. We want to feel comfortable in our own skin. Not only will this build a more accepting community, but students will feel free to be themselves. By changing the dress code, you can change thousands of students' futures and send them on a path of courage, determination, and self assurance. Thank you.

I am not sure what to make of this. I will be thinking about the proper response over the weekend.

                ————————

“Attention students,” The loud speaker roared over the commotion in the classroom. I crossed one leg over the other and scribbled flowers on the corner of my math homework. “I have made a decision on the proposal to change the dress code.” The other students gasped and quieted quickly.

    “After pondering it over the weekend, I think it will be best if we update the rules.” The speaker hummed and the room erupted in cheers. Over the noise, I could barely make out the last part of the announcement.

    “Will Florence Doyle come to the front office to discuss further changes and help me establish a new, non-discriminatory dress code?” I stood up, beaming, and made my way to the principal. As my shoes clicked against the linoleum tiles, a trail for generations of young girls radiated behind me. If I can change the mind of one person, one school, I have the power to change the world.

April 09, 2021 13:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Palak Shah
10:17 Apr 15, 2021

Great job Lucy well done !!! Could you please read my latest story . Thanks :)) ~Palak Shah

Reply

Show 0 replies
13:26 Apr 13, 2021

OUU this was a very unique format! Ive never read any story like this before! This was very interesting and inspiring! I love the main characters attitude and I love how you express the teachers discomfort by all this! The ending is what brought it back for me! The confidence and everything was just great! This was truly great Lucy! Keep writing!

Reply

14:19 Apr 13, 2021

Thank you so much! It means so much that you took the time to read it!

Reply

14:24 Apr 13, 2021

Of coursee!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:22 Apr 11, 2021

Wow. WORLD CHANGING GIRL POWERRRR! Great job!

Reply

23:18 Apr 11, 2021

Thank you so much XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:24 Apr 09, 2021

This was such a creative idea! I love how you used the infraction records to tell your story. I also agree that school dress codes should be changed. Amazing story, and thanks for spreading the message!

Reply

14:25 Apr 09, 2021

Thank you so much! It means a lot that you read my story again XD thank’s for editing :)

Reply

14:25 Apr 09, 2021

Of course! Happy to help :)

Reply

14:27 Apr 09, 2021

C:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.