0 comments

General

This is Bill's story:


Bill Proctor, worked for a construction company on the outskirts of the city, he was the middle manager in one of the offices of Promedical Securities.   It was his job to facilitate his employees to get each job assigned and completed and allow for any complaints pending. Bill worked non stop everyday, very rarely did he take time for annual leave, but always allowed space for his staff, making sure they were adequately cared for.


It was on this particular day when John, the acting supervisor saw a rumour on the internet, he paid it no mind but referred it to Bill. Bill just nodded with a careless gesture,


"It's all rumours, nothing will come of it"


The following week, the story of Promedical was all over the news headlines, inside the office, the six staff members were all waiting for Bill to arrive, fearful of losing their jobs. Bill never arrived until a few hours later, unshaven, unkempt and still with a mild manner,


"It's all rumours, nothing will come of it"


Meanwhile, John shifted towards Bill's other side of the office and quietly whispered,


"Is everything alright, you don't seem yourself?"


"I'm ok," is all he replied back to him.


Several weeks passed, where inside the office of Promedical, the guys were busy taking the calls, trying to keep the company afloat, as they were all bombarded with the one quote, 'will everything be alright your end' to which they were told to quote, ' everything is in hand, not obliged to give any reason'.


The office had five members on call continuously with the sixth person being, John the acting supervisor, looking on, dealing with any discrepancy. Bill was always busy dealing with payroll, managing emails and stock. But this day was different, for the General Manager announced to him that he wasn't able to stay on which left Bill in a right pickle.


Bill's position at that very moment became very tense, not only did have to deal with his role but now had to juggle with the General Manager's role as well. It felt like he was on trial on the demise of the company going under. John mentioned to him a second time,


"They're talking you know...the guys...if you just give any indication to say whether or not things...I mean...will we be ok?"


Bill, looking strongly at John, and turned his head to one side, and slowly, met him face to face,


"It's all rumours, nothing will come of it."


With that, Bill packed his things into his brief case and said bye to the staff, until the next day. The time was 14:00 pm, it wasn't normal for Bill to leave so early in the afternoon, tongues were wagging, and not just in the office but all over the building of Promedical. Everyone knew Bill.


Bill lived in a small village, just a few miles from the city, when he reached home, his wife, Daisy announced,


"It's all over the news...and overseas...are you o k ?"


"I don't know why everyone assumes that I not going to be o k, all of this is all rumours...nothing will come of it"


"What about Paul, he left several messages...I think, you should ring him"


"You do! he jumped ship, and left be to bail the rest of us out, why should I call him?"


"You don't know what it is he has to say...it could be something to save the company"


"Says who!"


"Well, I think you should call him, give him the benefit of the doubt," that was Daisy's last word to her husband.


Bill went into the back room, poured himself a stiff drink and collapsed in his armchair. The phone was close by, he couldn't bring himself to ring straightaway, until several gulps of the hard stuff later,


"Hello...Bill... is that you?" was the voice of Paul the General Manager, who decided to leave the compound.


"Paul, I'm here, returning your call...what is it...what do you want?"


This time, there was silence, only the sound of Bill as he took an extra gulp of the hard stuff.


"Are you still there...what do you want me to do?" with his voice sounding more harsh.


"I know how you feel right now, and I can understand what the rest of the staff must be saying, I had strict instructions from Head office...there were many more of us who were told, we have to go...Bill, I had no choice...the company is in the midst of being taken over, but with instructions not to say anything to anyone"


"When!"


"You and the staff will be fine, it may be a week or even a month, but you will be fine"


"What about yourself?"


"Oh don't worry about me, I have my nest egg clearly protected"


They finished their conversation, Bill could not fathom, how such a large company became diminished within a couple of days. He took a last gulp and settle the glass on the table. As he looked out side, it was beginning to snow, it was a surprise to him, for it hadn't snowed in years.


August 30, 2019 15:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.