0 comments

General


I knew that no matter what, we would fight. The war was beginning, and no one could stop it. I stared at the moon, almost completely covered by the Earth’s shadow, a shadow that would be our downfall. 

The crickets chirping innocently, and the porch swing squeaking without a care in the world. I opened my journal, I put the date on top of the smooth white page.

Dec 3rd, 2102

I ruffled my hair black hair. My pen flowing as I wrote, so that anyone who survived would know my story.

The eclipse is almost done. I say we have about another 30 minutes. Claec and his forces will be unleashed when the moon goes full blood. It will be a struggle to survive. The world I’ve known all of my life will disappear.

I have already said my goodbyes to Sadie, Webster, and Anna. It was treacherous, but it needed to be done. We all knew that once Claec came, it would be every man for himself, and if Claaec succeeds, we won’t remember each other anyways. 

I hope that they will keep their promise to fight, no matter what. So that when all of this is over, I can run into Sadie’s arms and kiss her just like before. 

I’ll look at Anna, and see how much she has grown. Her childhood ended too early. When our parents died, it was my job as her older brother to take care of her. Now we’re here, where staying apart is the safest thing.

Webster, my best friend, might finally have a girl at the end of this. Then when we’re adults, we’ll look back at this and laugh as we do at everything.

The only way for Claec’s forces to leave is for a solar eclipse, and a ring of fire to appear. However, they say that won’t happen for another eleven years. Everyone will be eleven years older when I see them again. If they are still alive to see again. 

Do you know what Claec even means? It means the shade of the sky at night. He’ll open the portal, and all of the mythical creatures will wake up and seek revenge on Earth. 

If this war is still going on when you are reading this, may the Elders be with you and Godspeed!

-Jake

My dark red jacket gets dotted with hot tears streaking down my dirty face. Two years ago, I was an awkward skateboarder with no friends starting out in high school. Now I’m a competitive skateboarder and I make music so that when I graduate, I can get a record deal. I have the most beautiful girl as my girlfriend. She has flowing brown hair and wide blue eyes. She’s so nice and understanding, yet a strong and brave soul. 

Now all of my dreams are dust. I grab my Xjar, as it lights up with the new 22nd-century technology. It can cut through anything, even rock, in an instant. 

I’m ready. I won’t go down without a fight. The words of my trainer floating in my mind. “When you want to give up, just remember why you stuck it out so long in the first place.” Memories of Anna, Webster, and Sadie clogging my vision. I have to survive, for them. If I die, let it be trying to come home to them. I just hope they return the favor.

The moon is now fully red. The portal opens in a swarm of black, dark magic. The wind picks up, and the entire world goes silent, minus the beating in my chest. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. 



I’m Ready.



September 04, 2019 17:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.