0 comments

Coming of Age

           Wow, we received a one-star review from Atlanta Georgia-Constitution. That's not good. Our mission statement says we put our clients in the least restrictive environment possible, but the newspaper found we were the most restrictive to the point of being on the cusp of abuse. They also said the food in the dining room was overcooked to the point where “rubber has more taste than this shit”. Wow. They also found bugs including cockroaches, which isn't good. So, we'll have to call back the exterminators to see if they can get us back into the status of sanitary so we can reopen and make money again. Then, there was the review of the Health Department, where the reviewers said our med techs were “unnecessarily rude” and “treated the residents like animals”. The med techs just called people's names to let them know it was time for their meds. But, the way they called the residents was condescending. Wow. They also discovered many of the residents are physically violent and should be in a facility better equipped to handle violent people. Well, we're not a psychiatric ward, that's for sure, even though some of the residents can be psychiatric, but our staff is trained how to handle that. Put your arm around the violent person's neck until they pass out and are no longer violent. Then, there was the review of the activities. The residents pushed, kicked, and bit each other to be able to be one of the eight people to use a computer in the computer lab and the staff did nothing to stop it, like assign someone a computer for a certain period of time. 

           Then, there's the morning coffee. Each resident is allowed to have a cup of coffee when they wake up, which is privided by the staff. However, when they inspected the coffee, they discovered all the resident's coffee had something green growing in it and was at room temperature. Then, let's go over the nursing home. Wow! The nursing home. First of all, there's one nurse for 55 residents which is asinine. Second, the soiled diapers were put into open garbage cans instead of covered garbage cans and when we asked the nursing staff why, they said it was because they couldn't afford covered garbage cans. Furthermore, 63 % of the residents suffered from diaper rash since the single nurse couldn't get to each resident quick enough. The nurse, which changes every fourth day and third day, tended to be rude since she/he was tired and overworked. 

           Then, there's the litter on campus. Litter seems to be everywhere we walk since after the residents are finished eating whatever items are in their room, they just throw them on the ground. Things like cookie wrappers, ice cream containers, cigarette butts, used maxi-pads. Perhaps the residents don't have garbage cans? Need to investigate why this is happening. Then, there's the noise level. Oh. See, this facility was build next to a train track. Great idea. So, every three hours there's a train horn. Wow. Then, there's the actual construction of the building. Whoever made this building must have gotten their degree from a community college. All the floors are unlevel, which means unless the doors are closed all the way, they'll reopen on their own. Furthermore, for the convenience and emotional support of the residents and the staff, residents are allowed to have dogs whether or not they are physically capable of walking them. So, the place reeks of dog urine and dog feces. 

           Then, there's the squirrels. The squirrels are also going through the trash to get leftover food and making a mess of the mess. Furthermore, the security guard is only available from 1 am to 3 am Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. So, if there's an emergency on campus, call 911. 

           Then, there's the maintenance. Ah, the maintenance. The average time for a work order to be completed is seven months. So, if there's a burst pipe, the residents have to live with it for seven months or pay for their own plumber. Furthermore, the maintenance crew always puts down the resident for the repair even if the repair was not the resident's fault. 

           There's also discrepancy in the billing. Some people are charged $2,000 a month. Some people are charged $200,000 a month. But, they're the same rooms and same facilities. Oh, let us not forget, men must sleep in buildings with other men and women must sleep in buildings with other women. Sex is forever forbidden on campus. God forbid a resident would ever get pregnant. In fact, on page 85 if the handbook, it says residents will be expelled from campus if they become pregnant or are caught having sex on campus. 

           Although this is true it is illegal, certain staff have been caught having sexual intercourse with the residents with the resident's consent. This is true of both male and female residents. It is also true, the medical staff have been caught on several occasions selling the resident's prescriptions. Furthermore, the staff have held parties in the residents of the residents which have included illegal substances not in the resident's prescriptions and with loud music late at night. The staff have also been caught on several occasions stealing the resident's personal possessions. Wow. 

           Furthermore, although reports of monthly fire drills are reported in the notes, none of the residents recall ever doing a fire drill. Many of the resident's personal mail has also been opened. The staff have also not followed the rules of OSHA (Occupational Safety and Hazard Administration) and have not used proper PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) when they should have. 

           They also discovered mildew and mold on several of the walls of the residents. They then looked at the licenses of the facility and found only one of the licenses had not expired. Wow. 

*

           So, we have a lot of work to do. The goal is to get these people to come back when we have all this shit fixed and write a five star review. Wow. That's a lot, but we got to take it one step at a time. So, I called an employee meeting. We ain't never had employee meetings before and maybe that's part of the problem. Ain't no one else stepping up into this leadership position, so I guess it'll have to be me. It's always me. So, I got everyone together and read them the review and told all of 'em they oughtta be ashamed of themselves. I told them I wish I could fire them all, but I'm giving 'em one more chance and if they screw up even once, I's firing them. Then, I said if any of 'em wanna quit, they can quit. Then, one by one, they started walking to their cars until there was just five of us. Five of us and 375 residents. We in deep shit. So, I asked if they still knew any of the other good nurses they went to school with and we's start making calls and the next day I started conducting interviews. Or rather, these nurses interviewed me. I did good though. Y'all never going to believe what happened next.  

April 09, 2022 15:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.