The Princess of Armeada, Atlantis

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Start your story with someone looking out a train window.... view prompt

4 comments

Fantasy Drama Fiction

I watched out the train windows as the city flew by and then became countryside. Miles and miles of nothing but trees. Leaning back in my seat, I closed my eyes. My head was throbbing. Thatcher had nearly caught up with me in the last city. I had gotten comfortable and stayed too long in one spot. Not that it was possible to ever be completely comfortable here in the Earth realm. As an Atlantean, coming to the Earth realm was strictly forbidden. Centuries ago, our kind used to travel to this realm regularly until it became clear that humans were too volatile and not to be trusted with the secrets of our world. It amused us to no end that the humans of Earth now believed Atlantis was some long-lost Earthly civilization, the subject of speculation and fairy tales. The thought made me smirk. 


The forbidden Earth realm seemed like the best place for me to hide when I fled Atlantis. That was six months ago. I’ve been running ever since with King Dalman’s bounty hunter, Thatcher hot on my trail. Thatcher is relentless and this recent close call has shaken me. 


Bitterness flooded me as I recalled the events of six months ago. My father’s kingdom and King Dalman’s had been at war for years. A tentative treaty was finally reached, and my father had offered me up as a peace offering. I, the princess of Armeada, was expected to marry King Dalman of Fortikia, for the good of my father’s kingdom and its people. It was a sacrifice I was unwilling to make. The practice of arranged marriages had ended centuries ago throughout Atlantis. I was not supposed to be forced to do this! I implored my father; had I not already served our kingdom by fighting alongside our warriors? Was I to spend the rest of my life in misery, forced to share a home and a bed with the man who had slaughtered thousands of our people? 


“It has been agreed, Tallia, my daughter. As rulers, it is our duty to sacrifice ourselves for the good of our people. This marriage will unite our kingdoms and ensure a lasting peace.” My father, King Julian Veece had turned to walk away, then he paused, his back still turned toward me, and said something that chilled me to the bone.” King Dalman heard of your valor on the battlefield. He requested you specifically as his bride. You are the only thing he would accept in exchange for a permanent cease fire.” 


Two days later, my personal attendant, Sophia and I were ushered into a transport shuttle and taken to King Dalman’s palace. The palace was opulent, decorated with rich fabrics, ornate carvings and mirramite, a shiny iridescent substance as rare and valued in Atlantis as gold in the Earth ream. It was beautiful in an overstated sort of way. Sophia and I were locked in a bedroom suite with instructions to make myself ready to meet King Dalman.


“I’m sorry you got stuck coming here with me.” I had said to Sophia as she braided my long blonde hair. 


“I didn’t get stuck Princess. I volunteered.” 


My jaw dropped. “Why would you want to come here?” 


“It is my honor to serve you, Princess, wherever you go.” Her eyes met mine in the mirror in front of us. Sophia had been my attendant for as long as I could remember; she was only five years older than I, and the closest thing I had to a friend. 


“Thank you, Sophia.” 


I was dressed in the midnight blue dress left in the room for me. A gift from the King, I was told. I was thankful the dress was reasonably modest, covering all but the slightest hint of cleavage and reaching nearly to the floor. My hair was in a tight braid down my back; mirramite earrings dangled from my ears. 


The guards escorted me to the dining hall where King Dalman was waiting; he stood to greet me. He was taller than I expected. At forty years old, he was fifteen years my senior. His long black hair had only the tiniest hint of gray around the temples, his pointed beard made him look every bit the villain I knew he was. His silver-gray eyes looked me up and down, a slight smile on his lips. 


“Welcome to your new home, Princess Tallia.”  I bowed slightly as was customary. “I hope you found your chambers to your liking?” 


“They are adequate, my King.” I had nearly choked on the words.


King Dalman looked amused. He pulled out a chair for me immediately to the right of his seat at the head of the table. I sat, rigid in my chair. 


“I had the cook prepare what your father assured me are your favorites.” Servants brought out a meal that would have thrilled me at my father’s table. Now, my stomach churned, and bile rose in my throat. The King seemed oblivious to my lack of appetite as he savored the meal. 


“You are far more beautiful than I had hoped.” He leaned back in his chair, finished with his food. “I asked for you after hearing what a brave and skilled warrior you were in battle. It is my hope you will bear me strong children. I dared not hope your beauty would match your valor. I am a lucky man indeed.” 


I said nothing but I could feel my aquamarine eyes turning red with anger. The eyes of our kind could easily have been the inspiration for a trinket the people of the Earth realm called a mood ring; our eyes shifting colors to match our emotions. This could be controlled with great effort and concentration but right now, I did not care if King Dalman saw the anger smoldering in my eyes. 


“I am told you killed many of my warriors in battle.” He looked more impressed than angry. 


“Not nearly enough of them, my King.” My tone was cool and controlled but my eyes still smoldered. 


“When we are alone, you may address me by my given name, Tarviase, if you wish.” 


“I do not wish it, my King.” 


King Tarviase Dalman grinned. “I so look forward to taming you, Princess Tallia.” My eyes turned black with rage. I imagined stabbing him with my fork. I could probably kill him before his guards got to me and took me out. “In time you will find my company need not be unpleasant to you. Our wedding will be held in two weeks' time. Until then, you will dine with me every evening and you will make yourself ready and available to accompany me any other time I summon you. My people are eager to meet their future Queen. You will stand by my side with a smile on your lips and you will keep those eyes of yours under control. Am I clear?” 


“Yes, my King. May I retire to my chambers now?” I shifted my eyes back to a controlled aquamarine. 


“As you please.” With a wave of his hand, the two guards appeared to escort me back to my room where I was locked in with Sophia once again; birds in a gilded cage. 


Over the next two weeks I was forced to endure the company of King Dalman daily. I dutifully stood by his side and sat at his table; He was annoyingly charming, seemingly eager to win my favor. All the while, Sophia and I were plotting my escape. To her credit, the plan was Sophia’s. I feared what the consequences would be for her, but she insisted, it was her duty and honor to protect me at all costs. 


The wedding gown was traditional Atlantean which worked to our advantage. Layers of pastel-colored veils would cover my head and face. With any luck, King Dalman would not realize it was Sophia beneath the veils until I was safely away. And so it was, when the guards came to take me to the royal wedding ceremony, Sophia met them at the door wearing my wedding gown, her identity hidden by the veils. As soon as they were gone, I fled and never looked back. 


I’d heard the alert sound just as I stepped through the portal to the Earth realm. Another minute and all portals off Atlantis would have been shut down trapping me there. I hoped it would be assumed that I hadn’t made it out of the realm and King Dalman’s men would waste precious time searching for me there before even considering other realms. 


The train pulled into the next station, jarring me from my thoughts of the past. I grabbed my bag and coat, leaving the train and blending effortlessly in with the throngs of Earth people bustling hurriedly through the train station. I took two different buses before I felt I had gone far enough to stop and rest. I took a hotel room in some small mundane town. 


As I looked at myself in the hotel room mirror, I hardly recognized myself. I had chopped my long blonde tresses up to my shoulders and dyed my hair black. I was dressed in common clothes for Earth, jeans, a sweater and combat boots. I always carried a knife although I knew it would do me little good against Thatcher if and when I ever had to face him. That day came sooner than I hoped. 


I walked back to my hotel room after breakfast at a café down the street. It was my third day in this location, soon I would need to move on. I opened the door of my room and stepped inside. I sensed Thatcher’s presence before I saw him, a prickly feeling traveled my spine; he was inside, waiting for me.


Thatcher, nearly twice my size and bulging with muscles, slammed the door shut and lifted me off the floor by my neck. My combat boot clad feet dangled in the air as I sputtered and tried to pry his fingers off as he crushed my windpipe. He released his grip and let me drop to the floor just as I was near losing consciousness. I gasped for air as he towered over me. Thatcher was a striking figure, dressed all in black, muscles rippling. His black hair was cut very short, his face was ruggedly handsome. 


“Princess Tallia, it seems your luck has run out at last.” Thatcher gloated. “You have been a worthy adversary, but you had to know, I was always going to win.” His voice was deep and smooth; his eyes blazed a brilliant blue with satisfaction. He extended a hand to me to help me off the floor. 


I grasped Thatcher’s hand with my left and allowed him to pull me up; with my right hand, I pulled my knife from its sheath, lunged forward and slashed his cheek. His face would be slightly less handsome from then on. Thatcher growled, threw me onto the hotel bed and wrestled the knife from me; his superficial wound dripping warm blood onto my face. 


“It would be a shame if I am forced to damage you before returning you to King Dalman.” 


“Can’t blame a girl for trying, Thatcher. Now you have something to remember me by.” 


I spent the next two days handcuffed to Thatcher’s side as we traveled to the portal that would take us back to Atlantis. Thatcher wasn’t overly chatty, but he did take great pleasure in informing me that I was still expected to marry King Dalman immediately upon arrival. The thought sickened me. 


“He’s going to be mad about your hair.” Thatcher chuckled as we entered King Dalman’s palace. 


“It will grow back, unless he cuts my head off.” I smirked, trying to appear much braver than I felt. 


I was taken to my chambers where two lady attendants assisted me. I wanted to ask what had become of Sophia, but I didn’t dare. I bathed, allowed the attendants to bleach my hair as close to my natural blonde as they could get it. They helped me into a wedding gown; there were no veils this time, I noted. 


Thatcher and four guards escorted me to the King’s throne room. It gave me a bit of satisfaction that five armed men were deemed necessary to keep me in line. I held my head high as Thatcher presented me to the King like some sort of prize.


King Dalman noted the slash mark across Thatcher’s face. “The Princess managed to wound you, did she?” 


“She did, my King.” Thatcher grimaced. 


“Impressive.” King Dalman’s lips twitched as he made efforts not to smile. “I trust you are unharmed, Princess Tallia?”


“I am unharmed, my King.” He nodded, pleased. 


“In my benevolence, I have continued to honor the treaty with your father’s kingdom during your absence. It must be clearly understood, should you defy me in any way or attempt to run again, the treaty will end. Do you understand?” 


“Yes, my King.” Bile rose in my throat. 


“If that is not incentive enough for you, perhaps my wedding gift to you will be.” The King nodded to one of his attendants who opened a door and ushered someone into the throne room. A gasp escaped my lips as I saw Sophia dragged in, shackled, dressed in rags and dirty. 


“As punishment for her part in your escape, your attendant has been imprisoned for the entirety of your absence. As my gift to you, as soon as we are married, she will be pardoned. She may remain as your attendant or return to your father’s kingdom. The choice will be hers to make.” 


I was sunk. Sophia had sacrificed herself for me; now I must return the favor. I bowed in submission. 


“I am grateful for your generosity, my King.” 


I mentally checked out. I repeated the vows the priest instructed me to in a daze. My blood ran cold as King Dalman slipped a jeweled mirramite ring onto my finger; it may as well have been a shackle like the ones on Sophia. When King Dalman leaned down to kiss his bride, his lips were warm, but they made me ice cold inside. I felt like I had just sold myself to the devil, body and soul. 


Seeing Sophia released from her chains eased my distress a little. We shared a brief embrace before she was whisked away to bathe and dress. 


“Thank you, my King. That was the kindest wedding present you could have given me.” I was working hard to keep my eyes aquamarine and to be as agreeable as possible, remembering the promised consequences if I should fail. 


We made a brief public appearance, announcing our marriage to the kingdom. The people cheered and kicked off the traditional week of feasts. And then, we retired to the King’s chambers. My stomach twisted in knots of dread. 


The King’s chambers were even more ornate than my own. To my surprise, he invited me to sit down for tea and a chat. He waited on me himself, having dismissed all his attendants. 


“I was deeply wounded when you ran away. However, I believe I understand it. In war, one is always convinced the opponent is evil. I wish you had given me a chance to prove that theory wrong before you left.” 


“I am sorry, my King. I beg your forgiveness.” This new humble role did not come naturally to me. I hoped my efforts were enough to satisfy my husband’s expectations. 


“All is forgiven, my Queen.” 


I took a sharp breath. Being addressed as Queen would take some getting used to. Being forgiven was even more shocking. 


After our tea, the King broached the subject I dreaded most. 

“We are required to consummate the marriage so you can be officially crowned Queen of Fortikia tomorrow.” His tone was almost apologetic. 


“I understand, my King.” 


“I will be as gentle as I can, Tallia.” 


I could not prevent my eyes from turning the deep blue of despair as I stared up at the ceiling while King Dalman took the last part of myself that still belonged to me away. A single tear rolled down my cheek; he kissed it away but said nothing. 


In the months that followed, my husband never ceased to surprise me. King Dalman went out of his way for my comfort and pleasure. While his word was final rule, he often consulted my opinion regarding the rule of our Kingdom. That meant more to me than the lavish gifts he constantly presented me with. 


In four months', time, I was pregnant with our first child. The King was overjoyed. The night he received the news, he offered me a reprieve. 


“I will excuse you from the duties of our bed until the child is born, if that is your wish.” I looked at him in surprise. The King rarely allowed his eyes to reflect his emotions but, on this night, his sadness was evident. I thought of him not touching me for the next nine months and found, to my own surprise, the idea did not appeal to me. 


“I do not wish that, my King.” For the first time, I allowed my eyes to reveal the affection that had wormed its way into my heart. 


“You...... desire me?” He looked as shocked as I felt. 


“I do, Tarviase,” 


“I am truly the luckiest man in all of Atlantis.” The King’s eyes glowed with silvery delight and love. 

October 20, 2022 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Daniel Legare
11:59 Oct 27, 2022

A fun read Melissa! I'm curious as to how the portal to the two worlds connect, and in what way. I'm also curious as to why the two kingdoms went to war in the first place? When I read this, I wonder if those from the two kingdoms aren't so different from the humans they believe to be so volatile. A fun story!

Reply

Melissa Taylor
14:32 Oct 27, 2022

Thanks Daniel! I did leave a bit to the imagination. The Atlanteans do seem a bit judgemental. They seem to think they are somehow better than the people of Earth yet they are clearly just as flawed. The nerve! 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Marshall
22:13 Oct 21, 2022

A Sci-fi romance novel!! Lol I love it!

Reply

Melissa Taylor
00:06 Oct 22, 2022

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.