3 comments

Fiction Contemporary Speculative

The Richards family--William, Teresa, and Jenny-- just moved to Verdant Valley. The neighborhood is just what they all wanted, a bustling small town of friendly people full of big opportunities where one could be anything they put their mind to: a breakout star, a superhero or supervillain, a high-ranking politician or businessperson, a master of many skills, a master money maker or even just a well-read, well-traveled or a faithful family person. After a couple of quick meals and refreshing themselves in their fully-furnished abode, The Richardsons explored their new home, finding where they could fit in and grow towards their life goals. 


William is intelligent, addicted to work, a techie, a Mr. Fix-it, and a bibliophile, traits that would serve him well working at the Verdant Valley Science Center. Making level nine of this career path would complete his life goal of solving the mysteries of the galaxy. Anxious to get started, he also stuck around for an intelligence class being offered there too. 


Teresa has a more sophisticated, people-person, food aficionado, reputable, and family-loving trait set. She made several friends on her walk to the Valley Diner. Her life goal was to be everybody’s best friend. She could develop her culinary skills in a job at the diner to make food for all her friends. Building some people skills that the Frugalton Theatre could go a long way too. 


Young Jenny was a people-person like her mom and a bibliophile like her dad, but she was also an outdoors person. She didn’t have a life goal set right now but would discover hers when she became an adult. She would have to grow up and develop her skills as well as she could over the next several days. Good thing her parents were starting her young at the Verdant Valley Academy. Her first day was tomorrow. In the meantime, she found a lot of people to meet and a lot to do at Valley Park. She learned how to play chess, picnicked with new friends, and listened to someone playing guitar. She had to be home by 10pm though or she would risk getting in trouble with the police. 


Alongside their life goals, the Richards had tasks: a series of short-term actions based provided a variety of benefits. Some met their needs, some developed their skills, and they were always based on their traits and interests. As the next morning started, William was tasked with reading a book about engineering and buying a new computer. He should have enough money for the latter after work today. Teresa was tasked with cooking any meal and visiting the art museum. She made everybody lunch she left in the fridge and had just enough spare time to step into the museum before work. Jenny, stressed out after a long day of school, was tasked with visiting the park, playing tag with someone, and going swimming, all of which she easily accomplished in an afternoon and helped her unwind. 


William and Jenny returned home around 6:30pm. William was tired and hungry after work but pleased at having a new gadget in the family’s possession: a Delltron 800 desktop, a computing device equipped with all the processors, links, chips, graphics, and software needed by smart and busy people to get things done and get ahead. William ate some of Teresa’s leftover lunch before logging on to work from home. Jenny was impressed too but went to shower while her dad clicked away. Their bathroom was furnished with the Simple Shower Solution, an economical answer to every frugal person’s budget: providing average cleanliness, lukewarm water, but complete privacy. Warranty sold separately though so a leak sprung when Jenny was finished. Oops. Jenny went to bed and William went to fix the issue, mopping up by the time Teresa got home. Husband and wife shared a few friendly and romantic interactions before he went to bed and she went to shower, springing the leak again. 


Such was the life of the Richards in Verdant Valley: juggling between developing skills, meeting basic needs and completing tasks, work, and school. Then waking up to do it all over again the next day. Weekends of course gave them more time to rest and relax. In their spare time, the Richards could be seen reading, seeing movies, and spending time outside or at the art museum. 


Both William and Teresa earned raises in their respective jobs, providing them enough to upgrade their shower to the Super Shower Solution: a better quality product for hygiene care with a warranty included. William also put his newly-acquired level of engineering to good use and gave it an additional unbreakable upgrade so it was one less thing to fix. In their three days in town, William has made many friends who ask for his help with repairs or enhancements on their technical stuff, even receiving a big tip for improving the plumbing at the mayor’s mansion before a huge party. Teresa and the diner catered that party too, serving the best flambee his constituents ever had. 


Meanwhile, Jenny became an honor student in school, doing homework almost every night and completing extra credit. Her athletic and intelligence skills increased, she knew a little bit about fishing and developed a lot of people skills from everyone she hung out with at the park. She would become a teenager in a couple more days and she could start romantic interests, date, and work a part-time job at the library, the theater, or the FrugalFresh Supermarket. 


Her big day came with a party she planned at her house. Party balloons, the SubWoofin Stereo, pizza, and a cake were acquired for the event. She blew out the birthday candles and the transition started, her friends and all her family cheering as she sparkled and spun into her teenaged form. She also gained the amorous trait and started flirting with a few guys before the party dispersed. In the coming days, Jenny would take full advantage of her new opportunities by working at the library, experiencing her first crush, a first kiss, a first breakup, and getting caught out past curfew while on a late-night date. That lecture from her parents started an angsty relationship for several days, where she was a slob, rebellious, and rude to them. Another lecture and some apologies later, they were on good terms again. 


Another week went by and Jenny reached adulthood, now having the ability to marry, have a full-time job, and live on her own. She graduated magna cum laude from the Academy, excelling in intelligence and athletic skills and she was the most popular girl in school. Her parents were proud for days and still doing really well in their own jobs and goals. Her final personality trait was driven, which gave her extra determination to achieve success. She was no stranger to hard work, after all. Having done so well in her formative years, Jenny has a lot of options for her life goal...




“Ok, gamers! What should Jenny Richard’s life goal be?” The vlogger asked their Internet audience, watching their playthrough of ParalleLife, the popular new life-simulation video game.


“The options are: Become a Mega-Mastermind, lead the military, cure incurable diseases, master sports, become a super-heartthrob, or become a super-heartbreaker... I’ll have a poll in the description. Let me know by next week what Jenny should do with her adult life! I’ll play through the Seasons & Holidays and Pets extensions when they’re available later this summer. Like, follow, and subscribe to my channel to join me as I explore this new game series! ”


January 26, 2023 22:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Katharine Johns
22:49 Jan 26, 2023

It may not be the perfect fit for this prompt but I was inspired recently.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jack Kimball
23:14 Jan 30, 2023

I liked the, The Richardsons, was capitalized. Also the building of your sentence structure was great, better than most. Got a little confused but I guess the game attendees pick the occupation? You're right of course. Nobody's really watching anyone for the most part, but who cares. Best. Jack

Reply

Katharine Johns
09:37 Jan 31, 2023

I intended the game world to parallel and parodize the world of the Sims games but I can see how the employment opportunities are either a more vague or subtle reference. I had the idea at the last minute and didn’t know when the next fitting prompt would come or I might’ve taken the time to fine-tune it better.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.