2 comments

Fiction

“You’re listening to Z-102, and that was Dream Weaver, by Gary Wright. It’s 10pm, and that means you got the Dream Doctor in studio. Just like that dream weaver, I’m gonna get you through the night. The Ronnie Watkins Ford Studio Line is open, and you dreamers know how this works. You call in, tell me your dream, and I’ll tell you what it means. Lines are lighting up now, so we’ll get right to you, after The Eurythmics tell us what sweet dreams are made of. “

Danny Traylor cut the mic as Annie Lennox took over, and he pulled his coffee mug within reach. He had been working the Dream Doctor bit ever since he took over the late night slot at the station. It was a great way to get folks calling in and keep him awake as late night rolled into early morning. 

“That was The Eurythmics, right here on Z-102, and this is the Dream Doctor, ready to dig in and help you solve the mystery of those movies running in your head at night. Our first caller is Robin. Robin, welcome to The Dream Doctor Show. Why don’t you tell us your dream?”

“Thanks, Doc. I’ve been having this crazy dream at various times for years now, and I just worked up the courage to call in and share it. I have this dream where I put a piece of bubble gum in my mouth. Just a regular piece. But, almost immediately, the gum starts to grow. And I’m trying to pull it out of my mouth, but it keeps growing, faster than I can pull it out. I’m starting to choke, as it goes down my throat, when I wake up. It’s funny to say it out loud, but it’s really terrifying in the moment. What do you think it means?”

“Robin, I’m so glad you finally called in. As I sit and listen to your dream, I’m wondering if this dream pops up during times when you are feeling overwhelmed. When you, pardon the pun, have maybe bitten off more than you can chew?”

“Wow, you know? You might be on to something there.”

“I usually am. Thanks for calling in, Robin. This is the Dream Doctor, and you’re listening to Z-102.”

Danny took a sip of his hot coffee, and sat back in the studio chair as the music played again. He had gotten pretty good at this, “interpreting” dreams. People weren’t really looking for the answers to the mysteries of the universe. Most were lonely insomniacs and long-haul truckers, looking for company and conversation.

“You’re back with the Dream Doctor on Z-102. Next on the line is Patrick. Patrick, why don’t you tell us what you’re dreaming about.” 

“Thanks, Doc. Long-time dreamer, first-time caller.

Last night I had this crazy dream. I was sorting through some boxes down in my basement. Just a big stack of boxes with old yearbooks and stuff from high school. I finished up, and walked back up the stairs, and found the door locked from the other side. I was locked in the basement. I banged on the door, but no one was there. I tried to call out on my cell, but didn’t have reception. I’m trapped down in the basement. I’m really starting to panic, then I wake up. What do you think it means?”

“Patrick, that is one crazy dream. Let me follow that with a crazy shot in the dark here: 

Been to a funeral lately?”

“Actually, I have. A friend I played ball with just passed away.”

“There it is. Anytime I here someone going down into a basement, down into a well, down into something, they are usually thinking about death. Sorting through those boxes of memories could be you sorting through your past, maybe dealing with your own mortality.”

“Man, that really makes sense.”

“That’s what we do here on the Dream Doctor. Make sense of your misty midnight machinations.

More callers, after this.”

Danny could do this in his sleep. Had a few times, when chores at home kept him from catching his midday nap. It was only 11 pm, and, already, Danny found himself losing focus. Nodding off. More coffee would be necessary.

“This is Z-102, I’m the Dream Doctor, and the Ronnie Watkins Ford Studio Line is packed tonight! Ronnie Watkins Ford is ready to put you in a new car or truck. Head on down and see Ronnie. Drive a little to save a lot. Next up on the Dream Doctor Show is is Ruth. Welcome to the show, Ruth!”

“Hello? Am I on the air?”

“You got the Dream Doctor. Tell us what you’re dreaming about.”

“Oh, okay. We’ll, my name is Ruth, and I’m 94 years old.”

“Wow! Congratulations on being the oldest person to ever call in to the Dream Doctor. It’s an honor to have you on.”

“Well, to be honest, this is the first time I’ve ever listened to your show. The grandkids were here this week, and I guess they were listening to your station. I usually listen to Benny Goodman and the big band music, myself. 

But I woke up from a dream and couldn’t go back to sleep. So I came into the kitchen to make some Sleepy Time Tea. I turned on the radio, and heard you talking about dreams.”

“Well, Ruth, I hate that you can’t sleep tonight, but that was good timing, turning on the radio when you did. Do you want to share your dream with us?”

“Well, there’s no real mystery to mine. It’s always the same thing. 

Isn’t that funny? How you can dream the same thing for more than 70 years?”

“You’ve been having the same dream for 70 years?”

“Actually, a bit longer than that.”

“Ruth, you’ve got to share this dream with us! You’ve got the whole listening audience sitting on the edge of their seat! What’s this dream about? A lost love? What might have been?”

“Well, yes and no. In 1944, I was taken to Auschwitz along with a trainload of other Jews. I was 17 at the time, and terrified. 

They packed us in boxcars, shoulder to shoulder. I was a little claustrophobic, anyway, and about an hour into the trip, I began to really panic. My heart began to race, and I didn’t feel like I could breathe. I desperately wanted to get out of the train car, but obviously couldn’t. 

Right then, off to my left, I heard someone whistling. It caught me by surprise, because no one should have felt like whistling. I turned and saw a boy, about my age, looking at me, smiling and whistling. I realized he was whistling Duke Ellington’s “Take the A Train”, which for some reason, in that moment, struck me as just so funny. I got to laughing, which just encouraged him to keep on. 

In that moment, all my panic and fear just melted away. Isn’t that funny? How, in the middle of this terrible moment, everything can just fall away?”

“You must have really caught his eye there.”

“Oh, I don’t think so. They pulled us right out of bed that morning. I was still in curlers. I think he saw my panic, and just tried to help. 

And it did help. I think it probably saved my life. He would make the funniest faces as he whistled. He batted his eyes during his little trills. Crossed his eyes on the really high notes. 

I just stood there and watched this beautiful boy whistling Duke Ellington. It was like there was a spotlight on him, and the rest of the world fell into the shadows. 

In that moment, for just a moment, nothing bad could happen.”

Danny sat, frozen and silent, as she paused. Scared of breaking the crystal moment.

She sighed, and continued.

“Well, the train pulled into the camp, and he was taken one direction, and I was taken another. And that was that.”

“Did you see him again?”

“No. I would look around anytime I was outside, but I never saw him again. I assume he didn’t make it. Most didn’t last more than a month or two there.

I hope he made it back home one day, but I don’t know.

But that’s my dream. Every night, for the past seven decades, I dream of that beautiful boy whistling in the train. Of the life he gave me. 

And I rarely go back to sleep right after. I usually come into the kitchen, put on a pot of Sleepy Time, and turn on my big band music. 

I look at my refrigerator door, covered with pictures of my family. My sweet husband, who died twenty years ago, my children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I’m just so lucky. So grateful.”

Danny’s voice was low, a bit hoarse as he spoke.

“I don’t guess you need me to interpret that dream, do you, Ruth?”

“No. But I did wonder if you’d be willing to play “Take the A Train” for me. I know it’s not your usual style, but I’d really like to hear it again tonight.”

“I believe I can make that happen. 

Ladies and gentlemen, this is the Dream Doctor, and this next song goes out to the girl in curlers and that beautiful boy in the train car, wherever you are. 

Duke Ellington’s “Take the A Train.”

Sweet dreams, Ruth.”

September 30, 2021 23:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Shiloh Ord
01:38 Oct 09, 2021

This is amazing! Pulling at the heart strings and you have the romantic in me wishing they found each other, sort of like a Letters to Juliet situation. 💙💙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
08:08 Oct 07, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.