0 comments

Fiction

One Star! How did I get a One Star review? I put my heart and soul into this project.

My whole life went into this project, and now this idiot critic is telling me my book is out dated. No one wants to read a book about history.

A love worth waiting for is the name of my book and it's not just a history book. The book is based on my grandparents love story.

The back drop of the book is set during the Depression when my grandparents meet at the age of ten and all the way through WW 2 and the present day.

This book is an honest to God love story. Who doesn't love a love story?

It may not be a modern love story, but there love lasted for many, many years and their love inspire me to write this book so I can show the world what real love is.

I love this story and it saddens me to learn that one person can say all these things about a book they know nothing about.

Yes, I know criticism is part of the job, but the guy didn't even read my book. How do I know?

The critic sent me a letter saying "I didn't bother reading your book. I just gave you a One Star."

I started to cry. I didn't understand why. My book was read by multiple literary agents and they loved it.

One agent told me it was the most authentic love story they have ever read. I was happy. I couldn't believe the agent said that about my book.

This agent is one of the top agents in the business. How do I tell her my book got a One Star review?

I started this book two years ago after my grandmother told me the story of how she met my grandfather.

Every time my grandmother talks or even tells the story of how she met my grandfather she always smiles.

My grandmother loves my grandfather so much after so many decades of marriage.

But their love story is also one of hardship and loss, but also a testament to undying love and devotion.

I will tell you some of their story. Here goes.

The year is 1930. My grandparents Sylvia and Charlie met on the playground of their community park.

At, first they didn't like each other. They did a lot of crazy stuff to each other like putting snow and bugs down each others backs.

My grandparents went to the same school, in the same grade. They did their kid antics like joking around with each other, playing tag and the occasional hair pulling.

As the years went on my grandparents stayed school friends, but when they reached the upper grades, no longer were they the same kids as when they were younger. They started to change mentally and physical.

They started to look at each other as more than friends. My grandmother started to develop a crush on my grandfather and him the same.

My grandfather asked my grandmother out and they instantly fell in love, from that day on they were never separated from each other.

The end of the 1930s came and the beginning of the 1940s came. War in Europe began in the fall of 1939. Many Americans weren't worried about the war and neither were my grandparents.

But then an event in Hawaii changed the course of their lives. My grandparents were 21 when the Pearl Harbor attacks happened.

He along with many other young men joined the military. My grandfather was a Marine. He went to the Pacific.

My grandmother was sad, the love of her life was going off to war, but she stayed true to him.

During the duration of the war my grandparents wrote to each other. On one of the letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother he said that he lost one of his best friends.

In my grandmothers words my grandfather found comfort and compassion. My grandfather always told me that his dear Sylvia's words saved him on the battlefield.

Once the war ended my grandfather came home, he wasn't the same. He had demons inside of himself.

My grandmother never gave up on him. Throughout everything she was right by his side loving him and helping him recover.

Two years after the war ended my grandparents got married and thus began their long life together.

That is what my book is about, a love story that doesn't end but continues for years and years.

To say my book isn't good enough for more than One Star is saying a lot about who the critic is as a person.

Books are worthy of respect not disrespect even if you don't like them. Some are worthy of more than One Star.

I look at my book over and over again wondering what the problem is. I look at my writing style. I wrote the book as if I were my grandparents.

I imagine myself in the 1930s watching my grandparents meet for the first time, when they first fell in love and during the dark days of the war.

I know people who love a good love story will love this story. This is the first book I wrote that I am proud of.

I don't know what to do. I don't know how to get my book out there for people to read.

Then I think back to the agent who loved my book and I decide to give her a call. Thank God, she gave me her number.

I call the agent. She doesn't answer. So, I left a message telling her everything.

I hope she remembers me and my book and I hope she can help me.

So back to the critic who gave me the One Star review. I look him up and believe me when I say he has a lot of complaints against him and on top of that he was fired from his previous job.

So begs the question. Why was he critiquing my book? This guy has many bad reviews.

This doesn't make any sense. I keep reading and it doesn't get any better. This guy doesn't know a good even if it was staring at him in the face.

I turn my computer off having read enough about the critic.

The inspiration for my book obviously came from my grandparents. Their love is what makes this book worthwhile.

Their love can inspire a whole new generation of people to fall in love and to stay true to their love.

Just as I was thinking about love I receive a message. I look at my phone. It's from the agent. She wants to meet with me.

I answer her back and tell her yes, I would love to meet. The meeting is set for tomorrow.

This is good. I hope she can help me. I look down at my book. A love worth waiting for and I stay to myself Tomorrow is the day you my dear book will receive good news.

How did the meeting go? I will tell you. The meeting went extremely well. The agent Everly Vaughn told me she heard about what happened with the critic and she told me I don't have to worry about him anymore.

That was a huge relief, but the best part is Everly sent my book to a publishing company and they loved it. My book is going to be published.

I can't believe it. I knew people would love my book. No one can resist a good love story.

I thanked Everly. The minute I left Everly's office I called my grandparents and told them the good news. They are so proud of me.

Like I said earlier Books are meant to be respected. I'm glad the right people respect my book enough for it to be published.

April 13, 2022 19:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.