26 comments

American Funny Contemporary

Miami

⛱⛱⛱

“Well, that was dramatic.”

“You know the drill. We had to put a hood on you. It's better you don't know where you are.”

“You could have just beaten me up on the street.”

“Where’s the fun in that? Now, look Ricky, we’re tired of waiting for our money.” 

“I got your money . . . it’s just tied up.”

“No, you are tied up. Hit him again.”

“That’s not necessary—Oof!”

“C’mon, Ricky. Don’t make us mess up your pretty face. Well, maybe it’s not so pretty anymore, and maybe your girlfriend won’t like you as much anymore.”

“Keep my girlfriend’s name out of your mouth.”

“Don’t you worry about my mouth. You need to worry about your own, and if you’ll leave here with any teeth left. But I’m sure you can find yourself a good dentist in Magic City.”

“You know, I’ve always wanted veneers.”

“Hit him again.”

“No wait—DAMMIT. That’s a crown! You know how expensive crowns are to replace?”

“Miguel will take out your front teeth next. Both in one jab. Pop!”

“I’m sure he could, and I’ll get your money. Are we done here?”

“You know, Ricky, you look a little bloated. Maybe too much inflammation. My wife has me taking turmeric or some yellow powdery shit to stop inflammation. Swelling is apparently the root of all the evils for men my age. Of course, my girlfriend has me taking Cialis, but that’s a whole other story.”

“That's a whole other swelling problem.”

“Funny guy. I should get Miguel to hit you again, but I’m going to steal your joke.”

“Tell you what. I’ll give you the joke. Let’s just call it even.” 

“Just get the money and bring it to Pensacola. You have a week.”


Orlando

⛱⛱⛱

“How do I look, Ricky?”

“Like a sexy, overworked Disney employee. Where’d you get these uniforms?”

“Goodwill. They have loads of them.”

“And name badges? Why are we both CHRIS from Orlando?”

“It’s the default ID badge for Disney Cast Members when they forget to wear their own. Ricky, there wasn’t a lot of choice on eBay. I did the best I could.”

“You did great.”

“I did really great. I even managed to extract two blue employee passes, so we can get through the cheese graters.”

“You rummage through some employees’ cars?”

“Didn’t need to. Just good ol’ fashioned pickpocketing.” 

“Honey, we’re not going to have a lot of time.”

“Tell me the plan again.”

“We park near the employee exit, walk to the employee entrance, find our way to the Okapi enclosure, then take the baby.”

“What’s a baby Okapi weigh?”

“Like 35 pounds or something. It’s like a big toddler . . .”

“A toddler that looks like a cross between a zebra and a giraffe. How much are we getting for this kidnapping, anyway?”

“It’s not a kidnapping. It’s an animal exchange program, where we exchange a baby cud-chewing hoofed mammal for a crazy old man’s money.”

“Oh, that sounds much better.”

“There is no way this plan is going to work.”

“Exactly. It’s so incredibly stupid, it’s perfect.”

“You ready, CHRIS from Orlando?”

“I’m ready, CHRIS from Orlando.” 


The Villages

⛱⛱⛱

“Oh look at this bee-yoo-ti-ful creature. God had fun making this little guy (cough).”

“Thank you. My wife and I knew he would find a good home with you and your—uh, menagerie. You have quite a collection.”

“I must say I am very pleased (cough). Now, what was our agreement?”

“$10,000 upon delivery. Plus expenses.” 

“Good, good. I usually keep that amount or so in the cookie jar here (cough). You want a cookie? There’s some Lorna Doone on the counter.”

“No thanks, we actually need to be on our way.”

“You can’t stay? You’d like the Villages. We can rent you a golf cart to get around. It’s karaoke and trivia night at Katie Belle’s residence club. I can get you in.”

“That sounds fantastic, but we’re expected in Tallahassee for the FSU game.”

“I understand. Sort of. I’m a Gator, so I can’t stomach the sight of you ‘Noles very much (cough).” 

“Are you keeping the Okapi in a stable somewhere?”

“No, no (cough cough). We’ll just let him run around the condo here (cough). I’m sure I can get a leash and take him out on a few walks. I have some lady friends who might walk him for me. Heh heh (cough cough cough).”

“Beg your pardon—but you’re keeping the Okapi in your apartment?”

“It’s a three bedroom condo on the golf course. Plenty of room (cough). And he can graze on the 9th hole. There’s a bugger of sandtrap nearby, but, you know, if the Okapi can survive the Congo—”

“Then he can certainly survive central Florida. Looks like you’ve thought this through.”

“Son of a bitch (cough). The little bastard just took a dump on the parquet floor—you gonna clean that up?”

“I’m afraid, sir, our business transaction is complete. I hope you and your Okapi and your girlfriends all find joy in this lovely home.”


Tallahassee

⛱⛱⛱

“I hate Tallahassee, Ricky.”

“It’s not that bad. The beer is cheap—and free, if you want to hit a frat party or two.”

“We’re about ten years too old for that. Let’s keep going west to Pensacola. I love the sugar white beaches, and you can pay off your debt.”

“We will probably spend the night here, once I cash out.”

“Here? Even shitty hotels here are $350 a night—they jack the rates for every damn football game. All the restaurants are packed with crazed alumni. Everybody is half naked and half drunk. I hate it here, Ricky. Let’s just go.” 

“I need to meet a guy.”

“Ricky, you don’t need to meet a guy. You don’t need to bet on the FSU game. We have enough!”

“Honey, I’m doing a three-team parlay. The payout is at +300 or +400.”

“Ricky, I have no idea what that means.”

“Trust me?”

“Never.”

“Good girl.” 


Pensacola 

⛱⛱⛱

“Now what, Ricky? We don’t even have money for coffee.”

“Dine and dash?”

“I can’t run in sandals. You should have told me your parlay went tits up last night, and I would have worn my running shoes. Or we could have done a little light shoplifting. The city is always in chaos for an hour or two after the game.”

“Honey, you wanted a steak and I wanted to buy you one.”

“A legitimate meal. And the tip you left was substantial.”

“I thought the girl earned it. She served up gin and tonics as quick as you.”

“You’re being modest—and reckless.” 

“I have a plan.”

“Uh oh. I know that look.”

“It’s Sunday . . .”

“We’re going to rob a megachurch, aren’t we?”

“Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's.”


December 08, 2021 00:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Michael Danyluk
22:43 Dec 16, 2021

Hemingwayish

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kendall Defoe
18:02 Dec 14, 2021

Why am I smiling so hard as I read this? I truly envy you having the brain to type something like this out. And I have seen an okapi up close and too personal... :)

Reply

19:09 Dec 14, 2021

I just love the idea of an okapi being kept as a pet by an octogenarian in a Florida condo.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Francis Daisy
11:29 Dec 09, 2021

Fascinating story. I am always intrigued by writers who are able to carry on an entire story line simply through dialogue. You are amazingly talented.

Reply

14:55 Dec 09, 2021

Your comment was a great way to start my day :) Woo hooooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
20:49 Dec 08, 2021

this was a hilarious story, deidra. one of my favorite lines has to be, '"And name badges? Why are we both CHRIS from Orlando?” - “It’s the default ID badge for Disney Cast Members when they forget to wear their own. Ricky, there wasn’t a lot of choice on eBay. I did the best I could.”

Reply

21:42 Dec 08, 2021

This is actually true. I worked part time at Disney World, and most of this is accurate. However, Goodwill wouldn't dare take in the costumes. Those things are chipped. Thanks for the kudos.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philipe Nicolini
11:33 May 07, 2022

You have over 100 stories for me to read. This was a good title, for me, evocative of "Man From The South," etc. Hope you keep it. Some of your start slow or miss my mood. Mostly I am seeking a quick hook for 1-7k words. This one hit. The ending is just a wee bit flat like an afterthought. Maybe you can kill the bad guys with antacid pills. I dunno.

Reply

12:59 May 07, 2022

That's a lot of reading. :) Just read the first line or two. If it doesn't grab you. Move on. (That's what I do.) There is infinite talent on this site. Lots of GREAT writers :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philipe Nicolini
11:30 May 07, 2022

Hmmmm...I dunno. It was fun. Creative. Good flow. Wee bit flat on the end. No worries...intro got my attention. Clapping. (Thank you).

Reply

12:57 May 07, 2022

Pure dialogue is an acquired taste. Or I did it tastelessly... Either way.

Reply

Philipe Nicolini
06:15 May 08, 2022

Pardon..I think I had erased this comment for the longer one. Oopsie. Hills Like White Elephant.. we should make your Disney Kids pregnant. :) Comedy version of Hemingway?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
16:05 Dec 14, 2021

You have outdone yourself on hilarity! Couldn't stop laughing. Loved it 😊

Reply

16:53 Dec 14, 2021

Mission accomplished. If ever there was a worthy topic to lampoon, it is the great state of Florida.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
07:20 Dec 12, 2021

Deidra... this was beyond funny. I kept laughing out loud, and my wife gave me that look like, "Oh, boy... what is he writing now..." Of course, I knew what she was thinking without asking, and I told her that it wasn't my story. So, she gave this a read as well, and was laughing like a mad woman! She agreed with me that this story was amazing!!! I can't believe you told this whole thing with just dialogue... Way to go girl!!!!! :) :)

Reply

18:07 Dec 12, 2021

This short was definitely written to an esoteric crowd, but if you get it -- you get it. Sigh, Florida. https://nypost.com/article/crazy-florida-man-headlines-that-made-the-meme/ https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/state/florida-ranked-the-worst-state-in-the-nation-in-every-way-according-to-website

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
18:40 Dec 12, 2021

Wow... that's amazingly scary... I'm so glad you're getting out of Florida :) :) ;) Thanks for the links, what a fascinating read!

Reply

19:58 Dec 12, 2021

OMG DANIEL This story was recommended this week. I cannot believe this is longlisted.... hahhahhahhahahhahha

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
20:22 Dec 12, 2021

That's great!!! I love it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
08:36 Dec 08, 2021

Oh god, this one was hilarious Deidra. No critics from me. Loved it <3

Reply

15:36 Dec 08, 2021

❤️ right back

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
19:40 Mar 09, 2022

I looked up the word Okapi cause it sounded familiar. Those creatures were my favorite in elementary. I love the plot of this one. And the dynamic between the two characters too! Could you possible give me advice on either of my stories? It would be heavily appreciated coming from you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Hanna
02:49 Dec 16, 2021

Deidra, Hi, I'm John and I have been assigned this story from the critique circle. Usually, I find some minor errors to poke at but in your story, I couldn't find even one! Nice story - you got the mindset of a gambler perfectly. I liked the tour of Florida and didn't find it demeaning in the least. Thanks for letting me read it and keep them coming!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cooper Armstrong
04:08 Dec 11, 2021

https://forms.gle/bhyhhGRgvYgZHwVU6

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bruce Friedman
00:51 Dec 09, 2021

I think that you really need to live in Florida to understand your story. Much of it went over my Michigan head. However, I think that the Villages would be a fertile field for inspiring more Deidra stories.

Reply

14:58 Dec 09, 2021

Agreed, but I would hesitate recommending anyone living in Florida. This state typifies the adage: "a nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there." And The Villages is quite the frat house for the over 80 crowd. I recommend this documentary on Netflix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHVTQjSGjHU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.