0 comments

Holiday

Kaitee rolled her eyes as she grew tired of listening to Candy telling a story to their three friends that Kaitee had already heard before.

           “So I said,” Candy continued, “ ‘The C.C. stands for Coco Chanel and D and G stands for Dolce and Gabbana.’ She asks, ‘Well, what stands for Michael Kors?’ and I said, ‘L.O.O.N.’”

           The girls laughed while Kaitee chuckled with no enthusiasm. She always did after hearing the same stories which get told a few times a week. Kaitee had thought about making new friends, maybe joining a club at school to do that. Yet, the only girls who would tolerate her were Candy and her crew. They lacked the ability to sense her sarcasm, even when they were up close and personal.

           “Isn’t that funny?” asked Candy.

           “Yeah, it was funny… the first seven times,” answered Kaitee.

           “Oh, my gosh, you guys, you have to listen to the new Taylor Swift song,” Candy said, pulling out her cell phone.

           She played Taylor Swift’s latest single, which Kaitee was super familiar with. The girls nodded and swayed while Kaitee kept still. She crossed her arms and looked around. No one was having as much fun as her friends. A lot of the party guests were mirroring Kaitee. The others were tugging balloon strings, checking their phones, eating hors d’oeuvres with utter melancholy. Kaitee turned around to see if anyone else was as bored as her. They were just about, except for this one gentleman. A gentleman her age looking right at her. Looking at her with sparkling brown eyes. He smirked once she saw him. She smiled back.

           “Ah, I’m thirsty,” Candy said.

           The three girls expressed their feelings of thirst as well.

           “Kaitee, get us something to drink,” Candy ordered.

           Kaitee broke eye contact with the mystery man to search for the table of food. Once she found it, a big bowl of fruit punch sitting in the center, Kaitee grabbed some red cups and starting ladling the drink into them. The boy strode towards her and stopped when he was close enough. Kaitee turned her head when she felt the boy’s presence.

           “Hi,” he greeted in an almost sultry voice.

           “Hi,” Kaitee said with a smile.

           “I’m Talan.”

           “Kaitee.”

           “With a K?”

           “Yeah, and a bunch of unnecessary letters.”

           Talan chuckled. “That’s cute.”

           “Thank you.”

           “Um, is it too forward if I tell you that you’re gorgeous?”

           Kaitee’s eyes widened. “Uh, no. No, not at all. Thank you.”

           “You’re welcome. I’ve noticed that you seem a bit bored.”

           “Oh, yeah.” She tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. “It happens.”

           “Your friends won’t mind if I take you away for a little bit, would they?”

           Kaitee looked away for a second. “I-I-I am sure they wouldn’t. But I have to bring them their punch.”

           “Okay, understandable. I can wait.”

           “Thanks.”

           

Kaitee walked to her friends carrying three cups of punch against her chest. They each took a cup before thanking her.

           Kaitee began, “You’re welcome. Anyway, I—”

           “Oh, you got to come to the bathroom with us,” Candy interrupted her.

           “But I don’t have to go.”

           “I know, but we all do. Plus, I gotta show you this amazing eyeshadow.”

           “I think I’ve already seen it.”

           “But it goes well with your skin tone. Come on.”

           She interlocked her arm with Kaitee’s and pulled her across the room. The other three girls followed, zooming past Talan. Kaitee looked back at him, trying to look reassuring. Talan gave her an understanding smile.

           When they entered the bathroom, Candy dropped her purse on the counter. The girls stood by her while Kaitee leaned against the wall, playing with her necklace. Candy dug through her purse until she got ahold of an eyeshadow palette.

           “You got to try this, Kaitee,” she insisted, opening the palette. “This will make you pop.”

           “Are you sure I’m not already… popped?” Kaitee asked.

           “Don’t be silly, Kaitee. Get over here.”

           Kaitee inhaled, setting herself up for a sigh. But she stopped and held in her breath. As Candy, surrounded by the girls in a semi-circle, patted the green shadow on the palette with a brush, Kaitee’s eyes ready to bulge out. She let out a shriek, startling her friends.

           “A rat!” she shouted.

           “A what?” asked the girls, not at the same time, however.

           “A rat,” Kaitee repeated. “In the bathtub. Look!”

           The girls didn’t look; they opened the door and ran out screaming. The guests transitioned from boredom to confusion as they watched the girls, with Kaitee walking far behind them. She smiled to herself before scanning the room. Soon, she spotted Talan and strutted over to him.

           “Hey,” he said with a smile.

           “Hey,” Kaitee greeted back. “How long were you planning to wait for me?”

           “Until I lost feeling in my legs,” Talan responded.

           Kaitee giggled.

           “Are you ready?” he asked.

           “Take me away,” Kaitee said.

           She extended her arm and Talan took her hand and kissed the back of it. Then, he led Kaitee across the room. Before they could head out the door, Candy grabbed Kaitee’s free hand and tugged.

           “I forgot my purse,” she told her.

           “Then go get it,” Kaitee said.

           “I can’t,” Candy replied. “I’m afraid of rats. You get it for me.”

           Kaitee groaned. “Fine,” she said.

           She slipped out of Talan’s grasp and snatched herself out of Candy’s grip. With an annoyed look on her face, Kaitee marched through the sparse crowd, into the bathroom. There was the purse sitting by the sink, next to the eyeshadow palette, no rat to be found. Kaitee put the palette back in the bag and carried it out. She headed towards Candy, who was talking to Talan, putting her hand on his arm. Kaitee hurried up.

           “Aw, thanks, Kaitee,” Candy purred, taking her purse back. “I like your friend. He’s really cute.”

           Kaitee laughed, not because she didn’t think he was cute, but because she didn’t want him to be cute to someone else. She looked at Talan to make sure she didn’t offend him. He stood behind Candy while she looked through her purse. He winked at Kaitee, which incited her to let out a coy giggle.

           “So Kait, you wanna see how Jamie is doing?” asked Candy, zipping her bag closed.

           “Uh, I talked to her earlier,” Kaitee replied.

           “Doesn’t mean we can’t see what she’s up to now,” Candy said. “Come on, let’s go.”

           Candy grabbed Kaitee’s hand and yanked her away. Kaitee looked back at Talan, who dropped his shoulders in sheer disappointment. The other girls found the two and followed them in tiny yet quick steps.

 

“Why aren’t you enjoying the party, Jamie?” asked Candy.

           “It’s just not what I wanted,” Jamie answered. She had never thrown a party before but was so excited to plan one. Often, the most popular kids at school would be the ones to throw a New Year’s Eve party, but for some reason, they were all out of town before Christmas and stayed out of town. Jamie was the only person everyone knew had a big house. And since neither Candy nor her friends wanted to plan a party, Candy convinced Jamie to throw one. They didn’t help her with the planning so Jamie had to do some research. She didn’t do it very well, however.

           “But we’re having so much fun,” Candy said.

           “Are you sure?” Jamie asked.

           “Yeah! And I know what will boost your confidence: a whole new outfit! Girls, let’s dress her up.”

           Candy and the three girls rushed inside the walk-in closet to start scavenging. Kaitee sat down next to Jamie on her bed. She was hunched over, her face hiding inside her hair.

           “Are you having fun, Kaitee?” she asked.

           “Yeah,” Kaitee answered.       

           “Really?” Jamie asked.

           Kaitee paused. “No.”

           Jamie pushed her hair out of her face, behind her shoulders. “I appreciate your honesty,” she said. “What’s going on?”

           “Well, I met a guy here and I want to hang out with him, but all these distractions are getting in the way.”

           “Listen, I’d never ditch my friends for a boy. But when it comes to those girls, I would need a break.”

           A chuckle escaped Kaitee’s lips.

“Go get your man,” Jamie insisted.

           “Are you sure?” Kaitee asked.

           “Yeah, do it for me. I’ll distract the girls. Now go.”

           Kaitee smiled. She hugged Jamie before running out of the bedroom. She rushed downstairs, zipping past the zombies, turning her head left and right to look for Talan. The room may had been large and the crowd may had been shrinking, but Kaitee may had been looking for at least five minutes before catching Talan speaking to some guy in a bolo tie. Kaitee ran up to him and grabbed his arm.

           Talan looked at her with surprise in his eyes. “Hey, I thought I’d never get to see you,” he said.

           “Well, I escaped,” Kaitee replied with a grin. “If you thought you’d never see me again, then why are you still here?”

           “Because I know you like me,” Talan teased.

           “Oh,” Kaitee exclaimed with a smirk. She crossed her arms. “Or did you wait ’cause you like me?”

           Talan thrust his tongue into the inside of his cheek. “Do you want me to take you away or not?” he asked.

           Kaitee held his hand. “Go right ahead.”

           Talan smiled, then led the way.

 

“So, where are you taking me?” Kaitee asked.

           “Well, since the party inside was a bit dull,” said Talan, “I figured you might like the party outside.”

           Across the street on somebody’s front yard was a rowdy crowd with glow-in-the-dark paint splattered all over their skin and clothing. Kaitee and Talan crossed the street before being greeted by a blonde wearing a lei.

           “I knew you’d come back,” she said, giving Talan a hug.

           “Kaitee, this is Jan,” said Talan. “Jan, this is Kaitee.”

           “Nice to meet you,” Jan said, reaching out her hand.

           Kaitee shook it and said hi.

           “I’m Talan’s sister if you haven’t already noticed the resemblance.”

           Kaitee nodded, raising her eyebrows. “Ah,” she breathed.

           “We’re about to do some karaoke,” said Jan. “Wanna join?”

           “Sure,” Kaitee answered with a shrug.

           “Follow me.”

           Jan turned and walked through the crowd, leading Kaitee and Talan to a big-screen television with a cord long enough to plug into an outlet inside the house.

           Kaitee observed the bright words on the screen. “No way! How did you get a TV to work out here?”

           “Lots and lots of cable,” Jan replied.

           A girl wearing star-shaped sunglasses handed Jan three microphones. Jan kept one for herself and gave one to Kaitee and Talan. The girl with sunglasses pointed a remote at the TV, changing the song. Kaitee lit up when a late ‘80s pop hit began to play.

           Talan rapped the first words that came up on the screen.

 

           I’m M.C. Kat on the rap so mic it

           Here’s a little story and you’re sure to like it

           Swift and sly and I’m playing it cool

           With my home-girl Paula Abdul

 

           Kaitee sang Abdul’s part, attempting to imitate the songstress’s sweet voice:

 

           Baby seems we never ever agree

           You like the movies and I like T.V.

 

           As Kaitee and Talan sang, they danced around, bumping into each other but in a playful way, sneaking touches.

           

When the song was over, Talan agreed to help some guests with something in the backyard. In the meantime, Kaitee and Jan sat next to one another in wooden lawn chairs.

“I like your boots,” Jan remarked.

           Kaitee kicked her each of her feet up in the air, checking out her own Doc Martens. “Thank you,” she replied.

           “You’re so chill.”

           “So are you.”

           “That’s probably why Talan likes you so much.”

           Kaitee cocked her head. “Ya think?”

           “Do you like him, too?”

           “He seems like a nice guy, but I don’t know a lot about him.”

           “Since I’m his sister, I could tell you everything I know about him. But I think you should get to know him yourself. What I can tell you is that Talan is cray about you and I can tell when he’s crazy about someone.”

           “Really?”

           “Yeah, he thinks you’re the most beautiful girl he has ever seen.”

           Kaitee let out an incredulous chuckle.

           “I mean it,” Jan said. “But don’t forget to open up. You don’t want him to just like your face.”

           Kaitee crossed her legs. “I know,” she murmured.

           Shortly, Talan ran up behind Kaitee’s chair and touched her shoulder. He bent over and whispered in her ear, “Hey, we’re about to count down.”

           Kaitee turned to see Talan sticking his hand out. She smirked, then grabbed his hand. He pulled her up and led her inside the house, along with the rest of the guests. They all walked through the living room and the kitchen to go out the backdoor. Spread out on the backyard were sparklers stuck into the ground. They aligned in one row in front of the fence, lighting up the whole yard. The guests cheered, and most of them came closer for a better look.

           “They’re beautiful,” Kaitee commented.

           “I know,” Talan said. “Just like you.”

           Kaitee glanced down, then glanced at Talan. “Why do you think I’m beautiful?”

           “I don’t know. Maybe it’s your eyes, your smile, your ears.”

           “My ears?”

           “You have cute ears.”

           Kaitee snickered. “You know there’s more to me than just my cute ears, right?”

           “I know, but if you give me the chance, I want to get to know you.”

           “Well, I’m glad you said that because there is something I want you to know.”

           “I’m all ears.”

           “I kiss on the first date.”

           “You do? That’s interesting because I also kiss on the first date.”

           “Really?”

           “Uh-huh.”

           “Cool.”

           As Kaitee and Talan leaned towards one another, Jan watched the time on her phone and read the seconds, encouraging everyone else to count with her.

           “Five! Four! Three! Two! One! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!”

       

January 03, 2020 00:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.