A Millionaire's Lottery Guide

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Set your story in a casino.... view prompt

6 comments

African American Fiction

A Millionaire’s Lottery Guide

Games of chance can make or break you. One roll of the dice can be boxcars or snake eyes. I put so much belief into a lucky charm that I carried it everywhere. It was a nickel minted on my birthday, June 5, 1966. I dreamt I needed to go on the casino trip I had wanted to do for years but would not splurge for. Everyone dreams; some scare us, some make you chuckle, and unfortunately, we don’t remember 85% of our dreams. Of the 15% we remember, we forget 10 minutes after we wake up. It’s that “window” that our left brain tries to speak to the other side. The right brain is the one that controls impulsive activities.

Many people dream of numbers and never play the lottery. Others chase that dream every day. Unfortunately, most of us wishing to get rich with those numbers we call “lucky” will be working until retirement. Most don’t understand that we have different types of luck daily. We have a certain number that is our one-digit. When you figure out your digit, use it to guide your gambling and gaming. My number is three. So, any form of threes 333, 666, 999, 3303, and 3333 have been good to me on Pick 3 and 4.

Also, for the dreams that center around something specific, listen… spell it out (A is 1- Z is 26); objects with 5-letter names can fit Cash 5, Mega Million, Powerball, and Cash4Life; add your lucky numbers for the (+) if you can only use a single digit and your “pet #” has multiple digits add them together until you have a single number. Every number has a sister 1 has 7, 2 has 5, 3 has 8, 4 has 0, and 6 has 9.

Another surefire way is to keep a record on a paper calendar. Numbers tend to follow patterns; we recognize them but forget to pay attention to them. A form of birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, and odd occasions like April Fool’s Day 401 on Pick3 and 0401 on Pick4. Numbers that add up multiples of 3,4, or 5 often back up to each other, like 333 today and 999 tonight or tomorrow. A good rule of thumb is to play the same numbers weekly, and if you’re feeling something new, add it. Don’t replace something seen too many times. When I drop a number, it comes out twice a week.

It would be best if you allowed numbers to speak to you, they do daily, but most don’t know what to listen for. We are bombarded with numbers daily, but they are not all for you; learning to see or hear with your left brain is a job. My first big win was found by writing down the numbers that I encountered every day of the week. I know what you’re saying. Is that all? Hell No! I played those numbers faithfully for seven years. I played them before I ate lunch. Sometimes I wouldn’t have enough for the lottery if I bought groceries for the week, so I would eat half my dinner plate and carry the rest the next day, to have the appropriate amount for my lottery. I was even late to pick up my children from grandma and school, so many times I can’t remember. My husband would have left and taken the kids had he known. 

 Of course, I don’t know that I am the one to be trying to teach you how to become a millionaire because I went broke chasing my first million. Still, I was trying to make it by working 69 hours a week for someone else that already had millions and didn’t care if the people under him had homes, shoes, or food.

I bought the company from that tightwad when he wanted to retire. I gave everyone five shares of G.E. and five of Hydro-Co, the local water plant… I told them he included it in the benefits package he set up last year as our Christmas bonus. I also started a 50/50 matching insurance and savings account up to $250,000.00 per family or $125,000.00 individually. The very thing I needed when I was homeless the first year I started. I was scared of being late or fired if the truth was discovered. When you understand what can happen if one paycheck is missed, you don’t want to see it again in your life or anyone around you.

Oops… I realized I had skipped from my dream to the end. I listened and went to Atlantic City that weekend. I won $400 that Friday night and was scared to continue playing. Saturday, I went to shows and shopped. After breakfast on Sunday, I went to the casino to bring home the five hundred dollars I still had. I cashed in the two casino cards happily. The plan was to play slots until noon, linger over a plate of seafood ‘til time to board the bus and return home. Unfortunately, I made a rookie move, not knowing I could have gotten the money to be redeposited. Someone saw me cash out and decided I was an easy mark; they took all the cash from my front pocket. As the thief grabbed the money from my pocket, my lucky nickel fell to the floor. “You can keep that,” he uttered, running off. Shaking like a leaf, I bent over, picked up the nickel, and felt a hand touch my back. I screamed take it! It’s all that is left. It was a lady from the bus who saw what had just happened. She recorded the incident, and another person went for security. Now I have to make a report; I'll miss lunch, and I need a drink.

Well, that didn’t take long, and they brought me a muffin and a Whiskey Sour. Because of the supporting video, I can file a claim with my insurance. Wanting me to be a happy client, I assume.

This nickel didn’t protect me against theft, so to the slot machine for you! Woohoo, five lemons, $5.25 Million!


January 13, 2023 12:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Jeannette Miller
19:33 Jan 21, 2023

It feels like the story gets bogged down by the explanation of the numbers instead of focusing on how they went broke before earning their millions and the jump to buying a company and setting people up with a savings account. Was all of the casino stuff a dream until the last big paragraph? When you get to the "oops... " paragraph, there's a ton of potentially fun stuff to write about in more detail but it's played out as an after thought. Sort of feels like you were going somewhere and then maybe ran out of time or word count and finished...

Reply

Kimberly Walker
06:11 Jan 22, 2023

I did end up going down two different rabbit holes. I also omitted the transition paragraph and didn't reread it. Sorry

Reply

Jeannette Miller
06:05 Jan 25, 2023

Arg...I cannot tell you how many times that has happened to me. Oh man! I wish I had that paragraph, haha. No worries, of course :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
11:51 Jan 18, 2023

This was a really fun story, Kimberly! Thanks for posting it!

Reply

Kimberly Walker
13:05 Jan 19, 2023

Thanks

Reply

Kimberly Walker
09:32 Jan 21, 2023

Hey Wendy: Let me know if you have better luck with my tips.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.