Emiko's World.

Written in response to: Write about somebody who likes to work in silence.... view prompt

0 comments

LGBTQ+ Coming of Age

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Emiko?” Ari asked.

“Huh, yeah?”

“You haven't picked a group yet, wanna join mine?” Ari asked.

“No thanks, I work better alone,” Emiko said and left the room, the teacher didn’t care because they have permission to leave whenever.

“Mr Popo? Are we allowed to work alone?” a student asked.

“No, I’ll talk to Emiko when they return to class.” Emiko has always been this way, it started when they were taken from their home when they were little and were raised in an orphanage that didn’t allow much sound. Many of the children would leave with scars on their hands from being loud. Emiko learned to stay silent, they would be up the most at night, when school rolled around the kids old enough were sent to school. They didn’t do much till some kid screaming in the classroom. Many kids laughed at the kid that screamed till someone noticed the shocked face on Emiko’s face while covering her ears, the kids watched as blood dripped down their arms. Emiko’s ears had begun to bleed. Emiko was taken to the nurse and after the nurse took a look at why a normal scream caused bleeding.

“Looks like your ears are very sensitive, you live at 𑁋𑁋𑁋𑁋 orphanage … we tend to see this trend. Could you tell me about the place?” the nurse asked.

“Um, we aren’t allowed to be loud, we have to whisper to talk. I stay up late at night to be able to work.” The nurse had a shocked look on her face. 

“What do they do when you are loud.” all Emiko did was cover their hands. “Emiko? Please tell me, this could mean that you and others are being abused.”

‘There’s that word again. Why is it always used in that tone?’

 Emiko gradually showed their hands, the scars from when she was first taken there were very seeable. The orphanage was closed and the kids were sent to nearby homes for kids. Emiko’s mother’s case had been reviewed and was found not guilty and got custody of Emiko once again. The nurse explained what happened to their hearing. As the years passed Emiko’s mother had turned abusive. Emiko had completely lost their hearing at the age of 11. Emiko told their teacher what was going on. That's when it found out that Emiko lost all hearing and was taken away once again. Emiko was sent to a junior high school for those with disabilities. Students noticed that they didn’t pay attention to anything. The work that Emiko would turn in was correct always. Some would whisper that someone that is here should be at a regular school. Emiko was transferred after a foster family took them in. Emiko stayed to themselves around everyone. When Emiko’s foster family got them hearing aids they wore them but would turn them off while studying. Emiko enjoyed the silence of the world, you could find the hearing aids sitting on the desk, pillow, or in the case. Many kids would try to bother Emiko but living in multiple places with lots of kids you learn to zone out others. Emiko would be bullied by most, the only kid that didn’t was, Ari. As the years passed by Ari had tried to befriend Emiko. Once in their first year of high school, Emiko had started to leave class whenever they wanted.

“HEY EMIKO” Ari yelled as she ran towards Emiko.

“Huh?” Ari then asked if they wanted to join her for lunch. Emiko looked at her with a face of confusion. “Why? Why do you want to eat lunch with a freak like me?” Emiko asked on the verge of tears.

“You aren’t a freak, don’t say that. No matter what people say, Ok.” Ari said sternly. Emiko then broke down in the hallway with Ari holding her as she cried, her cries all slurred due to her not crying in years and not being able to hear them after years. Emiko’s foster parents asked if there was anything they wanted anything for their birthday. Emiko asked if they could dye and cut their hair. The next day at school Ari had waited for Emiko to get to school, when they go there Ari say through the window that Emiko was yelling at the driver in sign language. When Emiko walked to Ari they started a conversation right away.

“Wait, you’re getting your hair done this weekend?” Ari asked.

“Yeah, you want to come with me. I’m supposed to wait for my birthday but I’m using the money I got from my parent's case,” Emiko said. Ari knew the whole story about Emiko’s life. On Saturday Ari and her mother came by and picked Emiko up. 

“Bye girls, don’t waste your money” Ari's mom yelled as she drove off. They went to the mall, after Emiko’s hair was done they would get lunch and go shopping.

“You sure you want to do this, you might get in trouble?” Ari asked.

“Yeah, they can’t do anything to me, I’m moving places soon anyways. I’ll still be here in town.” Emiko said. Emiko cut their long hair short with a long undercut and dyed it pastel pink. Their outfits may be categorized as grunge or emo, but having bright hair makes them happy. Emiko was using an old phone that was being held together with a duct tape case. Ari had helped pick a phone case out. Ari had bought the phone Emiko had been looking. After the shopping trip, they left with a total of three bags. Ari had gotten new decorations for her room along with a new shirt and skirt. Emiko had the new phone case, some new clothes along with cool platform shoes.

“Hey Em, I have a surprise for you,” Ari said.

“Oh, what is it?” Emiko asked looking at Ari like a little puppy with a head tilt.

“Here!” Ari said while handing the phone in the box to Emiko.

“Y-you bought this for me? Why I could have saved you money.” Emiko exclaimed.

“I already planned on getting something for you so I just choose the phone,” Ari explained. As Ari handed the phone to Emiko she kissed their cheek. Emiko was a flustered mess. Emiko asked her foster parents if she could stay the night at Ari’s, and they said yes. Ari’s parents we going out of town for the weekend. The girls suck into Emiko’s room and got clothes for the weekend. When they got to Ari’s house they changed into cute outfits. Emiko wearing a Bat sleeve shirt, baggy camo shorts, below the knee navy socks, and the new platform shoes. Ari wearing a pastel bear shirt, candy heart pleaded shirk, cotton candy thigh highs, and shiny galaxy platforms. They were going to a house party with the Pride Club. Many of the football team members were picking up everyone. Jax picked Ari, Emiko and the friends group up. At the party, Ari jumped onto Emiko’s back and screamed excitedly. Their relationship started with Emiko enjoying the silence that transformed into them loving Ari and her loud nature.

April 20, 2022 18:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.