Roy's heart

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

4 comments

Happy


It was way past her bed time, Mira switched off the lights and lay on her bed thinking of her son Roy who will be home soon, he was in the army and scheduled to be home anytime .This time he was coming home after six months.

She had nearly fallen asleep when her cell phone rang.

It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Is this Mrs Mira ,Captain Roy's mother"

Her heart started pounding very fast

"Yes this is her , Is it regarding my son?".she struggled to keep her voice calm

"Ma'am this is Major Robbie .I'm sorry I have some bad news for you Captain Roy was critically injured in a grenade blast last evening and is admitted to the Army base hospital .

"Oh my God !"she was sobbing now

"Ma'am is there anyone else I can speak to?"

No I live alone as I'm a widow and Roy is my only family.

"Please major I want to see my son "

" I understand Ma'am , I will make the necessary arrangements and what's app you all the details."

Mira disconnected the line and she sat there in shock, numb with grief .

After her husband's demise she practically lived alone as Roy had already joined the army by then. she worked as a teacher in a local school close by and spent her time amongst the school kids.

Her only son lay in the hospital and she could feel his pain she prayed and hoped he won't leave her alone in this world.

Within 30 minutes she got a message that her seat was booked for the early morning flight, so she would have to leave for the airport immediately.

She called her friend Shila and who was also her colleague to notify the school of her absence .Her friend was concerned about her and wanted to accompany her but she declined, promising to keep her informed.

She called for a cab and within an hour she reached the airport throughout the two hour flight her son's life flashed across her mind from childhood up till now she recalled everything

His smile, his mischief, his first day of school and even his broken tooth..

A cab was arranged for to take her to the hospital

Major Robbie was waiting for her at the hospital , he took her directly to the ICU where her son lay on the bed with all sorts of tubes coming out from his body. She noticed the ventilator and her heart sank.

Mira went to her son and whispered his name she laid her hand on his forehead but there was no response. She couldn't bear to see him in that state and she quickly exited the room with tears rolling down her face.

A tall middleaged man was waiting for her outside the ICU .

"Ma'am I'm doctor Neil, the I'm treating your son "will you please step into my cabin, I want to have a word with you?"

Mira followed him inside

"Doctor Will my son survive ? She asked him as soon as she sat down

The doctor looked at her and immediately felt sorry for this frail lady who looked so lonely.

"I'm sorry Maa'm , Captain Roy is brain dead and he's only breathing through a ventilator."

Mira tried her best to control her tears but they just flowed on as though they had a life of their own .

"Is there no hope at all doctor ?"she asked praying for a last chance

"Nothing can be done now Maa'm. .

"That's it then my son gone forever leaving me alone"

"I'm sorry Maa'm that's the painful fact,but your son can help save a life if you permit"

She looked at the doctor with a confused look.

"Have you heard of organ donation " ?

Mira nodded her head.

"Ma'am your son's heart is still in good condition and it could be transplanted into someone who needs it ,thus you can gift a life."

Think about it Maa'm .We have twenty four hours and you decide and give me your answer.

She thanked the doctor and went out Major Robbie was waiting for her.

Ma'am I have made arrangements for you to stay at the guesthouse just adjacent to the hospital.

"No I want to stay here with my son"

"Its not possible Maa'm as they won't allow it now you can visit Captain Roy only in the evening. "


She reluctantly went with him to the guest house she lay on the bed and pondered over the doctor's words. That evening she went to see her son and she knew inspite his body being there , his soul had already left him .Her son was gone forever but maybe some fortunate person can get his heart and live .

She went to meet the doctor in the morning and told him about her decision .

"Thank you Maa'm I appreciate your gesture infact we have a recipient who is urgently in need of a heart transplant and if everything goes well we will start the process immediately "

Mira signed the consent form and went to wish her son a final farewell .

"Rest in peace my love" she whispered in his ears and left the hospital .


Roy would very proud of her she thought as she had made the correct decision.

Captain Roy was cremated with full state. honours the next day .Mira was happy that her son had sacrificed his life for his country She didn't shed any tears at his funeral standing tall composed and proud among his team mates and other officers.

Major Robbie requested Mira to wait for few days as all the formalities would be completed and save her from another journey to the base camp.

Two days after the funeral she went to the military office to complete all the formalities.

She went to the base camp and saw his bunker on which he slept all his belongings were handed to her.

She met all his batchmates who regaled her with stories of her son's bravery how he saved them from the militants and got injured by a hand grenade.


She went through his pictures remembering his handsome face which she loved so much .Roy was dead for everyone but he would always live in her memory.

The following day a prayer meeting was held in her son's honour where everyone spoke so highly of her son and she never felt so proud and happy before.

Roy always visited an orphanage which was a few distance away the base camp . It was for kids whose parents were killed by the militants she visited them and spent a whole day there with little innocent kids left alone in this world with no one to care for .While leaving she donated generously towards their cause.


Finally all the formalities got over and she was ready to return home today was the tenth day from the day she arrived to the hospital and she was surprised the days passed so quickly.

These ten days were the most difficult ones of her life but it also taught her to be more strong and to appreciate the little things in life and not to take anything for granted.

She started packing her belongings, her flight was at 4pm.

There was a knock at her door.

Major Robbie was standing there he had some papers in his hand.

"Ma'am these are the papers and certificates of your son and if in future you have any queries feel free to contact me."

Mira took the papers and thanked him

"Ma'am there is a small favour I need from you"

"Yes Major ?" she wondered what he would say

"Captain Roy's friend is in the hospital and he wants to meet you as he is not in the position to come here personally ,recently her underwent a major surgery "

"Yes of course Major I would love to meet Roy's friend."

She accompanied him to the base hospital which brought back painful memories.

The major took her to a private room ,a young man was laying on the bed looking pale but in good spirits.

He had a big smile on his face .

"Hello Maa'm " I'm lieutenant Baga , he held up his hand and Mira took it and instantly she liked this cheerful looking young guy.

How are you feeling now? What surgery did you undergo. ?

"Heart surgery Maa'm and thanks to you I'm alive today"

.

"Why thank me?" She asked giving him a puzzled look.

He lifted her hand and gently placed it on his bandaged chest just above his heart .

Mira felt as though a lightning had struck her, startled she looked at his face , there were tears of gratitude in his eyes which flooded his face

"Roy!" She whispered .

He nodded mouthing a silent thank you.

Mira held his hand and wept but this time it was tears of joy and contentment.

The nurse handed her a stethoscope which she had placed on his heart

With shivering hands Mira held the other end to her ear longing to hear her son's heartbeat

All she could hear was Roy's voice saying

Mom! Mom! Mom!

December 27, 2020 14:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Ruchika Ruchika
23:55 Jan 03, 2021

Such a beautiful story..

Reply

Asha Pillay
05:58 Jan 04, 2021

Thanks dear.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R Narayanan
17:21 Jan 03, 2021

Very touching....excellent narration....keep it up...looking forward for more ....

Reply

Asha Pillay
05:59 Jan 04, 2021

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.