0 comments

Romance

“What should I get him? He said he doesn’t want anything, but I know he is going to get me something.” Holly looks at her dog and laughs. She is trying to decide what to get Ashton, her boyfriend. This will be their second Christmas together. They had just moved in together three months ago. “You probably don’t know either. I guess I’m going to have to go out and look for something.” She grabs her keys and walks out of the house. She decides to just walk. She gets to the mall after ten minutes.

               Once inside she goes to Lids. She looks around at some different hats. She is thinking about which teams he watches. She knows that he like the Warriors, but he already has two hats. She decides to try her luck somewhere else.

               She leaves Lids and decides to grab some food and think of something. She goes to the food court and stops at Panda Express. She waits in line for thirty minutes. She eventually gets an orange chicken bowl and finds a seat. She takes some time to eat. After twenty minutes she is done. She is ready to try again.

               Holly decides she should try GameStop. She goes in and looks at some of the games. She sees some familiar titles.  She knows he has already played these games, so she does not want to get them. She decides to get a Mario Kart game. She wants to get him more than that, so she goes to another store.

               She squeezes through the busy crowd and goes to Hot Topic. She sees some really cool band shirts that she likes. She picks a couple up for herself. She also sees a Paramore hoodie he would love. She gets that for him. When she checks out her total is only seventy dollars. She decides she wants to get him one more thing.

               She needs to go to a different store for this gift. She grabs her two bags and begins the walk home. She is glad she is not stuck in the traffic right now. She gets home after five minutes. She takes Ashton’s gifts and puts them in the top of her closet. She makes sure Ashton is not back and then calls the store.

               She calls the jewelry store. She decided she wanted to get Ashton a nice watch. He had a cheap watch that had broken in October. He had been wanting to replace it. She waited for the store to answer. When they did answer, she scheduled an appointment with them for two the next day.

               She went into her room and grabbed the wrapping paper. It had quotes from the movie Elf. That was their favorite Christmas movie. She grabbed the Mario Kart game and wrapped it first. She then grabbed one of her extra boxes for wrapping clothes. She put his hoodie in it. She wrapped it and put a bow on it. She took them and put them under the tree.

               She could not wait to get the watch. Ashton came home that night to see the gifts under the tree. “Baby, I told you I did not need anything.”

               “I know, but you deserve it. I promise it’s not that bad.”

               He smiled at her. “Fine, but this is it, nothing else.”

               “I already have one more thing, but then that’s it.” He agreed to that. They enjoyed a quite night together with their dog. Around eleven they called it a night and went to bed. Holly was really excited to get Ashton’s present tomorrow. She lay her head on his chest and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

               The next morning, Holly woke up to make Ashton breakfast. She always made pancakes on Fridays. She made the pancakes and bacon. She fixed a bowl of dog food for their dog. She ten went and woke Ashton up.

               They ate together and then Ashton left. It was only eleven, so she had some time to kill. She cleaned up the kitchen and did the dishes. She then went to the couch and turned on Netflix. She put on a Christmas movie. She pulled out her phone and went on Amazon. She ordered a few gifts for their families. She wished it was that easy to shop for Ashton. She wanted his gifts to be perfect.

               It was one by the time the movie finished. She got up and got ready. She slipped on her shoes and walked out the door. She decided to take her car. She got in and turned on some Christmas music. Twenty minutes later she was pulling into the parking lot.

               She turned her car off and walked inside. A blonde lady was behind the displays. She looked at Holly and said, “May I help you?”

               “I have an appointment with David.”

               “I’ll let him know you are here.” Holly looked at the different displays. She saw some really cute things. The blonde woman had disappeared into an office. When she returned a man was with her. Holly assumed that was David. They introduced themselves and then he asked her to come into his office.

               She followed him into his office and had a seat. He asked her why she had come in and she told him about getting the watch. He told her about a few options they had and their prices. There were two that caught her eye. A silver one and a gold one. They were close in price, so that was not going to help her. He said he would go get them.

               He came back with both watches. She looked at them for a minute. She eventually decided that the gold one would look best on Ashton. She told David her choice. He took the silver one and put it back in the display case. Once he was done with that, he told her he could engrave something on the back for her. She went with “My eternal love.” He said he would have it finished in two hours.

               She texted Ashton and asked if he wanted to meet for lunch. He said yes, so they met each other at Olive Garden. They spent an hour eating and then they had to leave. She drove back to the store. She got there right on time.

               She walked in to see the lady from earlier helping another customer and David with another. She waited patiently for one of them to get done. Around twenty minutes later the woman was done. She asked what you needed, and you told her you were picking up the watch. She went back and got it for you. Holly saw it and read the engraving. At that moment she knew it was perfect. She payed for it, thanked them, and left.

               She got home and put the box with the watch in it on the counter. Holly grabbed the leash and took the dog outside. She walked around for ten minutes before going back in. She decided to wrap the watch now. She was so happy it was done.

               She wrapped it and put it under the tree. She could not wait for Ashton to open it. She knew it would be a great gift. She knew he would love it. She ten said something to herself, “This will be the best Christmas ever.”

December 12, 2019 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.