Cultivating the secret

Submitted into Contest #55 in response to: Write a story about an old family secret surfacing generations later.... view prompt

2 comments

General

Taking a roundabout with five exits put Manon in a prolific mood. This was the second one that she encountered in her trip to her brother. As every year they and their siblings would join each other in respect for their parents. Only once out of the 18 times she had missed the weekend. That was when a storm had split a tree near her house right in the middle. It resulted in one half being on the road and the other half on top of an old shed in the back of her garden.

Manon called the organising sibling, for that year it was Cloé her youngest sister. Arranging for the tree to move from the minor road to Masléon was the most difficult as a massive fire in Parc Naturel absorbed all the firemen from the nearby station. So she and her neighbours needed to do the heavy work. The positive side of the tree going down was that she had enough wood for pulling her through the rough winter season to come.

Alexander was her brother next in line and always planned for the most hilarious settings. He was a firm believer of bringing humour to every gathering. No matter if the source was as sad as loosing their parents because of a traffic accident.

Knowing that this weekend she would let go of her non-alcohol, living style, her inner child grew. It reflected in taking an extra round on special roundabouts. Manon knew that people on the same road would push her in the nuts category. As long as it was not a family member, she didn’t bother.

Her five siblings would be there for sure. Manon was the only single person. The others came with spouse and children. It would total up to 23. A respectable number that would please their parents. Alexander’s place was definitely the largest they gathered. With that, also the most scary as it used to be their parents castle. As children they had played in one of the eleven rooms or on the attic and not to forget the barns and cellars filled with wine from the vineyards surrounding the castle.

Manon parked her Peugeot 205 rally edition next to the Renault Megane, Seat Alhambra and a ridiculous large Lancia Voyager. All cars to hold families. It made her sad, but she also felt the freedom that she had without man and children. Carefully she got out of her car, making sure that her fragile dress didn’t get stuck.

The adults sat in a wide on the terrace of the castle over-viewing the vineyards all with, you guessed it right, a glass of wine. Manon embraced the others warmly and soon she held her first glass. The older children were in one of the barns, playing around in their magical world. Alexander and his wife had done a remarkable job on the appetisers that were brought by employees of a caterer. 

“I see that you start to relax now, my darling, is it the wine?” Alexander asked her.

“It helps, but the peacefulness of this environment and to be with my closest family does the trick.”

“For me, it’s always the view over here. What was on your mind, that you left behind for this weekend?” 

He always asked those direct questions. It irritated her.

“I come in, you sooth me with wine, and a pleasant weekend ahead, and you ask me that?”

“Your my sister, I think I can ask that. Don’t be shy?”

“You know me well enough to understand that that is not true. I have my sorrows and want to keep them for myself.” Manon had raised her voice. All others turned their heads.

“Tell us, Manon, please? Only one.” That was a brother-in-law. The know-it-all person, the bragger, the show-off of the family.

“Non of your business.”

To avoid further interrogation questions she stood up, but failed to do so as her dress got stuck into the metal chair. One seam proofed not to be strong enough, and it tore open. The chair was more like an anchor, no movement, so her dress ripped easily apart. In no time Manon stood there trying to put some remains of the dress over her near naked body. Her lingerie was shown in full bloom.

“O, la la la. Now that is not a mistery anymore for us.” The dreadful brother-in-law reacted.

Cloé sped forward and relieved her sister from the chair and out of her bizarre situation.

“Once a secret, now a sad truth. Come on inside. I help you out of this. What a pity of that nice dress.”

Alcohol had landed, as the men laughed about the situation. All women were quite the opposite and looked at their spouse or spoke out in a clear tone.

“Now you behave, John. Nothing worse than be laughed at in such a situation. Stop smiling and go fetch the kids.”

“But I’m only trying to see the positive side of it.” He tried.

“OK, I’m going.” He hasted to add as he saw the thunder clouds appear on her face.

“I’ll help to find them, let’s go to the vine cellar. There’s always enough to drink if we get lost.” Another said.

Laughing and slapping each other on the back, all men walked away.

Dim lights were on, cool air filled their lungs and a light smell of moisture that came from the old brick walls.

Child's names were called. Eyes grew when entering darker areas. Hardly any sound besides the steps of the men.

“Don’t think they’re here. Way to silent.”

“We still check and leave via the back stairs up to the barn outside.” Another added in whispering volume.

They neared the far corner.

“What’s this, what has happened here?” Alexander shouted, while he noticed an enormous gap in the floor. A tensed atmosphere rose while they gathered around an opening in the concrete floor that showed a lower level. A basement under the cellar. Orange with a mixture of brownish red light shone inviting upwards on their faces.

“Dad, help me. I just walked, and then the floor shook and opened up. W’re all right, but can’t get out.”

Without thinking, Alexander jumped in the basement through the opening.

He looked around while trying to adjust his eyes to the limited light.

Several arched coves came in view. Totally forgetting about his son that had called him, he walked to one cove.

“Gentlemen, I think I have found our babies. It’s only gold bars that are waiting for us. I found the family secret.”

August 21, 2020 07:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Trinity M
19:32 Oct 01, 2020

Totaly not my story. I had to stop reading it halfway through because it's so bad. Why would anyone read this?

Reply

Steve Alink
15:48 Dec 28, 2020

Thanks for being honest. Not up to me to decide if someone should read this. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.