5 comments

Kids Holiday Historical Fiction

By the time I stepped outside, the leaves were on fire they were all over the place! They were all colors ranging from bright red to a fire orange to a lemon yellow. As I walked on them, they crunched and crackled like a fire would. They made the trees look like their on fire and not a normal healthy green.

The air crisp and cold blowing through the trees making them clash together to make a peaceful noise to go with the chirping of the beautiful birds of the world. From Blue Jays to Cardinals to Ravens to even Hawks ever more beautiful then the last bird.

Listening to the birds, the crackling and crunching of the leaves as I walk , I hear children laughing and playing with their family. The smell of mother baking a pumpkin pie or even turkey. The smell of thanksgiving and Halloween fills the air with scented candles, cookies, and Halloween treats of all kind. And Family time for all to hear.

The gardens that grow to be shades of orange from tiger to the color of yams. To shades of yellow from wonderful canary to the color of butter. Orange for pumpkins and yams that grow for feasting, to the yellow for the squash and corn that is a side for thanksgiving dinner. To say thanks to the Pilgrims and Indians for inventing thanksgiving for a time for saying things were thankful for.

To the decorations for Halloween , children of all ages to get dressed up for a night of fun. To the Halloween parties in schools to celebrate the fall holiday. Where for one night they go house to house dressed up in a festive costume to get candy and treats of all kinds and sizes. To the laughter and pitter patters of children as they run. Belly aches from all the sugar and sweets. The doorbell of homes that give out candy and children saying, “ trick or treat !”. The piles of candy to sort through for eating to be easier, to the crowded stores for the stalking of candy and the costumes for children.

Family is the key for the giving season if you have one you have them all. It does not matter if their far or near. To give is better than receiving you can give to shelters of all kinds. To give mittens, blankets, scarfs, and jackets of all kinds to people in need. The smell of the wonderful food that is for giving. The sounds of animals in the shelter to give a forever home to. To helping someone with their groceries, or simply doing a good deed.

It is the walks that you hear, the animals crunching on the leaves, plants, and grass, or getting ready for hibernation. Even sitting on the park bench to hear the wind, the sounds of animals, or simply families. To feel relaxed and feeling the fall rain on your skin as it is getting chiller and the rain being cold on your skin. And the way the satisfying sound of the rain hitting the roof or trees.

It is the festivals and cooking competitions that is based on apple cider, chili, decorations, crafts, and more. They bring families together to have a good time and forget their worries for at least the time being, and to celebrate families and differences in people. Apple picking farms , and pumpkin carvings for children and adults. Quilts and crafts and blankets are near for judging of who is the best of the year.

For sipping hot chocolate or coffee on the front porch watching the leaves fall and lovers pass. And simply reading on the porch is a blast, with listening to the wind telling you a story. Telling you a story of how fall is here, And the cold is coming in the near. For once a world slows down for a peaceful time of year. a time to relax and rejuvenate.

For fall season there is some love. Whether it be a person to a person, family to family, the fortunate to the ones in need, humans to animals, or simply to nature in general. Love is spread around knowing it or not. Some goes unnoticed or worldwide, it is a beautiful think for helping ones close to and strangers in need. To give to a food bank for others thanksgiving dinner. Or making food for others all the love makes it a wonderful time.

The car rides to places unknown to see where everything started or simply to see all the colorful leaves change. To take photos of all the nature brings, or family photos. But one thing in common is that there is warm scent of goodies in the air. And how magic happens during the seasons. The season of helping and giving of all types. For the season fall has different ways to be described differently by millions of families and people across the country. Different traditions, meanings, scents, and thoughts. Not one person’s perception is the same. They could think it is the worst season, or bad memories, but one thing is certain it is amazing.

Some where in the world a child is asking their parents or family member or even their teacher of what the meaning of fall is. Or asking why leaves fall or why do they change colors. And they are all told so many different reasons why. They will all get different definitions. The one that will stay the same is the part where they say, “ the giving season”.

While the leaves fall, we get closer and closer to the colder seasons which is winter and fall. While the leaves fall and decompose the world gets colder and the sun does not stay out as long, but the love in our hearts get warmer and bigger as the seasons move along. Day by day , night by night the giving does not stop all the fun in the fall season that Is here.

The End.

By Mariah Philips

October 15, 2020 19:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Ashley Patterson
21:11 Oct 21, 2020

Very nice I can almost taste the food and candy

Reply

Mariah Danielle
23:09 Oct 21, 2020

Omg thank you so much that means alot. This is my first time doing something like this

Reply

Ashley Patterson
23:56 Oct 21, 2020

Your very welcome I no exactly what u mean I only have a couple of stories and I have a long way to go but I love to write and use my imagination

Reply

Mariah Danielle
00:47 Oct 22, 2020

Same fr ! Like I decided to see how I want to put my creativity down on paper and see where it leaves me

Reply

Ashley Patterson
01:25 Oct 22, 2020

Good luck

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.