All I want for Christmas is you

Submitted into Contest #19 in response to: Write a short story about someone searching for the perfect gift for their partner.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

“I’m sorry sir, I’ve looked everywhere and the only size I could find was an 11.” the Macy's sales associate says. 


The sympathetic look on her face eased my nerves but I knew I had been more than a difficult customer. Asking her for help looking for a pair of women’s shoes was one thing, but when that devolved into me insisting she searched every back room and check every mannequin in the women’s department was an entirely different story. I was visibly getting desperate.


“Okay...Thank you so much for looking, I apologize if I was being difficult. I just really need to find these shoes for my wife.” I respond, forcing myself to smile.


The sales associate smiled back awkwardly, trying to downplay all my requests, but I knew she was only being polite. I would definitely end up on her worst holiday shopper list. 


I put this poor girl through enough already, so it was time for me to give up my search once and for all. Grabbing my things, I thank the girl once more and walk back into the thicket of the mall. The place was packed with families and last minute shoppers. Christmas was only 2 days away and I had dropped the ball worse than I ever have before. You would think after being married for 15 years I would learn the horrors of procrastinating on getting my wife’s presents, but sadly I fall into this trap every time.


Scrolling through the pictures on my phone, I stare depressingly at the shoes that eluded my grasp: A pair of heels I’ve seen her eyeing for a while now. I remember when she mentioned them, and I thought nothing of it at the time. I should have gotten them right then, but I was too busy being a bone head.


With a sigh, I shove my phone back in my jacket pocket and walk through the rushing crowd. 


“This year she’ll definitely kill me. And we’ll be at her parents house when she does it too… they might even help her hide my body.” I mused to myself, slightly laughing at the thought.


I’m a terrible gift giver and usually avoid giving gifts except on birthdays and holidays, but even then I always give the wrong thing. For her birthday I got her a heart shaped pendant necklace, and didn't realize that I got her the same necklace for our anniversary just months before. She was sweet about it, but I knew she was annoyed. This is the first year I have ever felt confident about the gift I was getting her, and of course I can’t find it anywhere. I don’t deserve her.


Running my hands through my hair, I pass up a few shops. The mall was pretty big with a lot of popular retail stores in it. I could always grab her something different. Maybe a new coat or a tennis bracelet, but I wouldn't know what jacket to get or what bracelet I should pick. She wasn't picky, but I really want to get her something I know she would at least like.


“Maybe a scarf would work better. I know she likes scarves, and it would be cold at her parents” I say to myself as I turn the corner passing the food court. Off to the side I noticed a small shop tucked in the corner. It was obviously new, but it was unlike most of the shops within the mall being that it was relatively unknown. 


I paid no mind to it at first, but that was before I realized I saw something displayed on the window that looked vaguely familiar. Turning my head, I squint while walking up to the store.


Sitting in the display window was a snow globe. Staring at it for a few seconds, I got this gnawing feeling that it somehow looked extremely familiar. It was a large snow globe with 2 figurines ice skating while kissing in the center of it. Staring at it for a while longer, I started to feel a laugh prepare to erupt.


“Wait a second!” I say chuckling, “I remember this thing!” now fully given over to laughter.


Without hesitation I walk into the small shop eagerly looking for the globe while still laughing to myself. If my hunch was correct, that unmistakable song would be programed in it, and if it was that would be perfect.


Standing behind the checkout counter the store clerk watches me slightly bewildered at my loud laughter.


“You need any help sir?” the teenage boy asked. He was no older than 16, and looked like he would rather be anywhere else but here.


“Yeah haha, that snow globe in the display window. By any chance do you have anymore?” I asked with my fingers crossed.


Looking at the window the boy takes a good look at the globe, “Hold on,” he says before going to the back.


He only took 2 minutes and came back with a box, my eyes light up with excitement as he hands it to me. Wildly looking over the box I find what I'm looking for and become consumed with fits of laughter. This would be perfect.


Still looking at me strangely the boy asked, “Um sir? Is there anything else I can help you with?”


I just shake my head, wiping the single tear that streamed down. This is much better than those shoes, I tell myself before finally answering the clerk. “No no I’m fine, this just brought back a funny memory.” Placing it on the counter I pull out my wallet, “Here you go, I’d like to purchase this and any christmas wrapping paper you’ve got.”


Evelyn's Parents lived in Massachusetts, so upon arrival we were greeted with mountains of snow and stinging frigid air. On the plane ride there, Evelyn would periodically poke around to see if I would spill the beans on what I got her for Christmas. My lips were ironclad. I couldn't wait to see her face when she sees what I got her.


The days leading up to Christmas, her parents and siblings would attempt to goad me into revealing what I got her, but I held strong. Making sure I didn’t give the slightest of hints. If I couldn't get her something that she would absolutely love, I could get her something that would bring back old memories.


On the night before Christmas, Evelyn and I turned in early. We headed to the guest room we stayed in and prepared for bed.


“So, you really aren't going to tell me what you got me?” Evelyn asked while brushing her hair in the mirror.


“Well, maybe you’ll get to open it early.” I responded with a smile on my face.


Turning around she eyed me suspiciously, “What do you have hiding behind your back?” she asked moving back towards the bed.


I motioned for her to sit down, she obliged.


“Now hold out your hand and close your eyes” I asked, my smile now uncontrollable.


She narrowed her brown eyes before she again obliged, a smile curled on her face.


“What are you planing, Mike?” she asked with a hint of excitement and curiosity in her voice.


Placing the box in her hand, I say, “Okay open your eyes now!”


She stares at the box sizing it up. “The this isn’t big enough to be a new pair of shoes, and it isn't small enough to be jewelry…” she says slowly ripping open the golden wrapping paper.


“Wait...no no no…” she cries out clasping a hand over her mouth as she held back a sudden laugh. Looking at me, a smile formed on her face. She held up the box with the image of the snow globe. “You should open your present from me now…” she says.


I watch her walk back in the room puzzled before taking the box she hands me. 


Ripping off the wrapping paper without much thinking, my eyes bulged with surprise before we simultaneously entered a fit of laughter.


“You got me the same thing!” I say, she nods her head, wiping off the tears.


“I actually can't believe you remembered!” Evelyn says, taking her globe out and shaking it. “I remember you using this exact snow globe to ask me out on our first date while we were in college. It was so cheesy but so sweet so I couldn't resist getting it for you.”


“When I saw it, I couldn't help but laugh, I can't believe I thought it was a good idea at the time.” I say as I flipped my globe over. Twisting the knob on the bottom, the kissing couple in the center begins to spin, and the familiar voice of Mariah Carey begins to play the song All I Want for Christmas.


Evelyn and I began singing along and laughing.


"I hope you remember singing this in the middle of the store, terribly off key I may add, in an attempt to get a laugh outta me. You where shaking like a leaf!" she laughed


“Oh I remember, and actively tried my best to forget till I saw it at that trinket store. Every year I hear this song and It never reminded me of any of this, but the moment I saw that snow globe it all came back to me” I say, “you know I honestly couldn't find what I really wanted to get you and just stumbled upon this. I hoped I could get a good sentimental laugh out of you with this one and I'm glade I did.” I admit sheepishly as she snuggled up next to me.


Resetting the song, she laid her head on my shoulder. “It’s perfect Mike. I’m glad you still have your cheesy side after 15 years. Just please promise me you won't go singing to me in the middle of a store again.” she says with a smile before pecking me on the check.


“Deal. So does this mean I’m no longer a terrible gift giver?” I playfully asked


“We’ll see about that when our anniversary rolls around again.” She jokes “But I’d say this is the best gift you’ve ever gotten me.” She giggled as we begin to sing along one more time.

December 13, 2019 04:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.