23 comments

Fantasy Fiction Speculative

When fresh snow covers the town in a cold blanket and dresses it up as a cloud, winter feels more like home. During the ungodly hours before dawn I can pretend it is. Standing in the deserted park as the snow dusts the earth around me and the thickness of the fog blinds the yellow streetlights, I only see a white cloud. For a fleeting moment it takes on an eerie likeness to the heavens, even the celestial scent of stardust fills my nose. It’s full of warmth—a little like sparklers lit outdoors on a snowy night. I’ve never imagined it so vividly before.

I even feel the feathers on the tips of my long gone wings.

As I take a step and the snow crunches under my boots, the fog thins and the illusion disappears. It’s not quite the same softness. Not the same crisp cold.

The orange light over the lonely bench is not from the sacred flame but a street light, and the person sitting under it has no wings. Once again, I’m aware of the old scars running down my back and my body’s unnatural lightness; despite which my feet only sink deeper into the ground.

Like I’m always being pulled down to damnation. 

Yet somehow, I still smell the stardust.

If not for the cosmic smell, I would’ve walked right past him. Instead, I’m drawn closer. Inhaling his scent deeply, I can’t take my eyes off the young man sitting on the bench, hugging his legs to keep warm. Resting his head on his knees, his blond curls fall into  his face damp with the melting snowflakes.

I come to a stop in front of him, my senses aflame with the closeness of another, and a lost piece of me.

I cannot soften my sharp inhale. There’s no way I’m imagining this all.

‘Little star?’ I whisper in disbelief.

I’m not sure if it’s because I don’t want to confirm he succumbed to the same fate as me or because I don’t wish to see him, but part of me hopes that I’m mistaken. I’m not.

He snaps his head up and even in the low light, I know those bewildered eyes. I know every speck of their gold and every shade of their green. Even after a millennia and some more—I know Selaphiel. But not like this.

‘Where are your wings?’

I try not to feel the selfish regret that makes me sick to my stomach. I don’t want to believe it has come to this. And as I do, I don’t want the feelings of hope and relief—that maybe at his cost everything will be alright—to creep into my heart.

I don’t know what would be the right emotion to feel—maybe it’s because I’ve been down here for long, but maybe I could never tell right from wrong.

After all, I’d let him play with fire.

Lounging under the torch of the sacred flame I summoned my own, in the shapes of creatures long dead and new. Fire birds and insects fluttered around us, but Selaphiel had his head under the clouds, not caring for the dazzling show he’d used to love as a fledgeling. Bored of guarding the flame with me, the only thing that entertained him was life below the heavens. 

Unlike them, we aged more like the stars. To us, years, decades and centuries were fleeting, and whilst life evolved, changed and died below us, we never peered often enough to see the same creature alive twice. Except Selaphiel.

Gazing down from the edge of our cloud, he followed closely the journey of one human. As he laid on his stomach, his toned legs stretched out behind him with his feet towards me; clean, soft soles had never touched the ground.

Though his wings had grown big and strong, he was not allowed to leave the heavens, not for another few thousand years as part of his punishment. Packed with celestial power and the wanderlust of an adolescent angel, he was taking it well. He complied without complaint, even though he’d been confined half his life—and for the first half he had been too young to fly long distances.  Never had he rebelled, but as his fingers dug into the cloud, and by the way he held his wings so tense, I could tell he was getting impatient. Seeing the others fly free, he wanted to walk the earth himself.

And all I wanted was to take his mind off it.

Sneaking up behind him, I grabbed his ankle.

‘Lulu..!’ He flipped around, his wings raking through the cloud as I pulled him back towards me. My grin melted away as his eyes found mine, a piercing, hard stare holding a raging storm, softened only by the shine of gathering tears. I loosened my grip.

‘What’s wrong, little star?’

He sat and smoothed his feathers. ‘They are freezing,’ he muttered. Everything froze over since I started watching. There’s nothing but ice and snow. Mankind is not made for that. They’re freezing to death. Why doesn’t God do anyth–’

I firmly covered his mouth. ‘You can’t get in more trouble, Selaphiel.’

He dug his short nails into my hand, his wings flapping as he tried to break free but I couldn’t risk letting go. Not when he was unable to keep his tongue.

‘Even if they all die, you have to accept it. You can’t blame– Please. I don’t want you to get hurt. Promise me.’

And there it was. That glint of defiance in his eyes, the light which always glimmered dormant behind his starry gaze. A spark to light a wildfire.

Still, Selaphiel nodded, giving in like he always would.

I let go of him.

He wiped away the angry tears that escaped. ‘Is there nothing we can do?’

I’d not taken him seriously enough. He’d been talking a lot about the human boy he’d been watching recently, that hunter with a wolf pup. Like he knew him. Like he… cared for him.

When I’d  sat next to him to take a look for myself, I had noticed how his muscles tensed when his favourite human seemed to show interest in another.

It was stupid of me not to realise the extent of his passion, when I knew the feeling too well. 

More than I wanted to admit.

‘You know you’d never be able to meet him, even if he survived,’ I said, putting my hand on his wing with a gentle touch. ‘There’s more of your detention left than a thousand human lifetimes.

But there will be other creatures. New life.’

‘They don’t have to go extinct. If we shared the fire–’

‘No. Our job is to protect this flame.’

‘It could save their species.’

‘Then they aren’t supposed to be saved. We cannot give fire to anyone. Not a flame.’

‘But you gave a flame to Michael.’ Selaphiel glared at me. ‘He didn’t even need it. You just did it because you wanted to.

I swallowed. He had never looked at or talked to me like that before. I didn’t know how to handle it. ‘That was–’

‘What? Different? Why is it supposed to be your shared secret then?’

‘How do you even know…’ I narrowed my eyes, before the realisation dawned on me. ‘You heard us? Wait–’

Selaphiel averted his gaze. ‘The clouds are thin. I… wasn’t sure how to tell you that.’

Everything in me wanted to recoil and hide in a ball of fire. ‘Damn me,’ I squeaked.

‘I won’t tell anyone. Neither part,’ he assured me quietly, avoiding my eyes before circling back to the question of the fire. ‘I think you should do with the fire as you please. You had created it, you are the one with fire. It’s yours. And it never runs out, does it? It should be you who decides–’

‘Selaphiel, enough.

‘But would you mind?’ he whispered. ‘What if I needed it? You’d save me, wouldn't you? Despite the rules.’

He wasn’t wrong—I would’ve given my wings for him if he ever needed me to. But to let him get on the wrong side of God so he can watch a human for another decade or two?

‘This is not worth the risk.’

‘It’s worth it for me,’ he said under his breath.

‘Little star,’ I started, but couldn't even finish the first sentence of my lecture.

Michael’s gravity pulled all my attention even before he called my name.

‘Lucifer?’

He smiled as I turned towards him.

‘Michael.’ I stood, waiting for him to approach me. My stellar core swirled hotter than fire as he stopped in front of me, his hazel eyes losing me in a galaxy of stardust.

For a moment I got whisked back in time to the vast emptiness, when we were the only light in the universe. It was still like everything else around us fell back to nonexistence whenever he looked at me.

‘I thought if I gave you the last fledgeling you’d have more time to see me.’ His deep, hushed voice ruffled my feathers.

‘I only have one helper. I thought as you snatched all the other angels  you’d have plenty of time to come and see me. I can’t leave the fire for long, Selaphiel is still young–’

Michael’s eyes had never wandered until just recently, but once again, they shifted; gazing behind me at Selaphiel with a flicker of something that used to only be mine. ‘He looks grown enough. You’ve done an excellent job.’

‘I know.’ I moved to block his view, as the fire in me charred me from inside; the result of pride mixing with jealousy.

‘Maybe, I could take him off your hands for a little while. He could spend some time with me–’

‘He is a seraph,’ I said, sharper than intended. ‘His job is to guard the flame.’

Michael narrowed his eyes. ‘I’m only saying this so I can eventually leave him with the others so I can come and spend time with you,’ he hissed.

‘No.’

‘Lucifer. He is bored out of his mind–’

‘Selaphiel is staying with me.’

‘Well,’ He gave me a charming smile, ‘it isn’t your choice to make.’

Placing his hand on my waist, he pushed me out of the way. Gentle, but decisive.

‘Sel–’ Michael put his hand in front of his mouth and snapped his head back at me.

I answered his glare with an innocent smile. ‘Burnt your tongue?’

His fingers moved the way they would when he turned things to stardust. Lifting my wings, I prepared for the cloud to disappear beneath my feet. Seeing me on edge, Michael seemed pleased. A little too much.

‘What are you doing?’

‘What do you think? I want to show you how much you mean to me.’ He pointed above my head, as if the size of the cloud of swirling stardust dwarfing me should be used to represent his affection. Getting denser and denser, it formed a creature. A large, blue mammal of the oceans below. My breath caught.

‘Put it back!’

‘That is exactly what I’m about to do.’ He grinned. Once the whale materialised above me, he snapped his fingers.

***

My hair was still dripping with saltwater when I returned to the flame, finding Selaphiel by himself.

‘Was the whale alright?’ he asked with genuine worry.

‘Yes. But Michael won’t be.’ I growled. ‘What happened while I was gone?’

‘Nothing. I told him I would like to go with him one day to see what everyone else was doing around the Heavenly Hall. But not now. I’m alright with staying here. Watching people and the fire—it’s fine. And you really shouldn’t worry about leaving me for longer… If you would like to go, take a break. It’s not like anybody would attempt to steal the torch.’

I looked in the direction I sensed Michael would be. ‘Are you… sure?’

‘I am.’

I turned to leave, but his voice stopped me.

‘Lulu—would you protect me no matter what?’

I never thought he would question it.

‘You doubt that?’ I turned back to him.

‘...You only ever fight about me. Sometimes I wonder if it would be better if I wasn’t here at all. If you wish it was like at the beginning, when it was only the two of you. I wonder–’

‘Little star…’ I didn’t know what to say. I did miss that time, but… it was never going to return. I wouldn’t want it to. And in the world we lived, I would not want him out of my life.

‘Come here.’

He gasped when I pulled a feather out of my wing. Strong and packed with the essence of fire, it should be powerful enough to protect him.

I placed it over his heart, letting it melt into his chest like molten lava. He didn’t complain about it feeling hot.

‘Trust me, before anyone can hurt you, the world will go up in flames.’

His eyes widened. ‘I’m not sure I want that.’

‘I didn’t really mean that. But it should protect you when I’m not around.’

Selaphiel relaxed his wings and I made up my mind. It had really been too long since Michael and I had some time to ourselves.

‘Could you watch the fire for me, just for a little while?’

‘Sure.’ Selaphiel cleared his throat, a mischievous smile tugged at the corner of his lips. ‘Just don’t forget… You know. The thin clouds.’

***

When I returned in the night, taming my feathers, I was welcomed only by silent darkness.

The sacred fire was gone.

And so was Selaphiel.

Gasping for air I lit a ball of fire in my hand, shining it on the clouds around me, hoping its light would find the lost torch and my little star. I hoped I was mistaken.

‘Selaphiel!’ I shouted. My heart was beating like a meteor shower inside my chest. It took time to recognise the feeling. The last time fear had a hold of me, humans had not yet evolved to exist.

‘Lucifer!’ His weak, distant voice came from below the clouds, and I dived down to pull him up just before he let go of himself completely.

Selaphiel collapsed onto the cloud, panting and dishevelled like he just flew a thousand miles.

He did not have the fire.

Nor did he have an explanation—but in the back of my mind, deep down, I already knew.

‘What have you done..?’ I whispered, unable to move.

Too exhausted to get up or to reason, he only managed three words.

‘I won’t apologise.’

***

When God found out the sacred flame was given to the humans, we were all summoned inside the Heavenly Hall.

Selaphiel wasn’t even shaking. The worst he had gotten was detention, and he had never witnessed justice.

I, on the other hand, thought I was going to faint.

Even though I had  asked him not to say a word.

And I asked him to never admit it. 

I had not told him that I would.

My trembling lie echoed off the white walls, ‘I took the flame.’

As the angels gasped, I gathered all my courage. ‘Mankind needed it—more than us.’ I continued, not meeting Michael’s eyes across the hall, not looking at Selaphiel standing right behind me.

My words were met with silence. Scepticism? I tried my best to convince everyone. I described mankind in all the weird and wonderful ways Selaphiel talked about them. Saying they weren’t so unlike us—and they should get a chance in life. They should get a chance to reach us in the heavens.

No angel interrupted. Not a single one. Finally, I looked up and over the feathered crowd. Staying silent, even in the presence of God, wasn’t natural. And as I looked at Selaphiel, wide-eyed with his mouth open, then to Michael, horrified, but still not saying a word, not calling me a liar… Something was wrong.

‘Do you—you all believe me? You’re fine with this? Do you… agree?’ I asked, with a glimmer of hope igniting.

‘Who would agree with destruction?’ God spoke.

I flinched as he named the exact power only I knew which angel held.

‘Lucifer—You shall not be given a second chance. Michael. Tear off his wings.’

The silence froze.

‘What?’ My head was swimming. ‘Wait–’

To my terror, Michael moved towards me. He could never deny God’s command.

‘Wait, I–’

The words burnt onto my tongue.

It all made sense finally. The fact that neither Michael nor Selaphiel had spoken up.

My protection—the feather I placed over Selaphiel’s heart—worked. 

We could not say or do anything that would cause him harm.

But one of us had to fall.

I walked outside in a daze. The only faces I recognised, standing outside the Heavenly Hall, were the two closest to me.

Selaphiel stood unblinking, squeezing my hand with tears streaming down his face.

‘Don’t look,’ I asked, but he wouldn’t leave the constellation of our unholy trinity. 

Michael pushed him away from me.

‘If there is one thing in the universe–’ He held onto my wings, facing me– ‘One thing I won’t ever forgive you… It’s making me do this.’

I had never heard his voice be so shaky before, I had never seen such a storm of anger and pain in his hazel eyes. Like he was going to go through with it, just like that.

‘I swear I can explain–’ I pushed against his chest as his grip tightened behind my back.

And I—panicked

 ‘Don’t listen to him! You and I and Selaphiel… even if it’s just us we might be stronger! And if we aren’t what’s the worst that can be? Who wants God anyways?!’

Running out of air, I stopped to take a gasp. There was no coming back from what I just said.

‘You won’t do this to me, Michael..?’

His voice was weary as he spoke.

‘Turn away, Selaphiel.’

December 23, 2022 22:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Michał Przywara
20:27 Dec 24, 2022

Ah, another Riel story! What a nice holiday gift :) I see we not only revisit some old characters, but we also get an origin story. The whole fall from grace had been hinted at before, so it's nice to see how it happened. Ironically, the description of their workplace sounds like hell :) All the secrets, plotting, daliances, and other office drama; having to tip-toe around a micro manager/diva; a helping of robotic "just following orders" - nice to see. Some strong culty vibes too. We can see Lucifer meant what he let slip near the end. ...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
22:10 Dec 24, 2022

Always so good to hear your take on stories! And I was enjoying making god and the heavens all kinds of unholy so I'm glad it came across as a cultish hellhole 😃 - Lucifer had meant those words for sure! I love the story of Prometheus - and as someone who chronically doesn't do any research I always assumed, because Lucifer's name means "light-bearer" that he was also cast out from heaven for stealing the fire🔥 - (maybe I've read that somewhere a long time ago?) never fact checked but I just liked this version of events for them here. And...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
02:11 Dec 24, 2022

Riel, So glad to see you submitting something up here again! I know I am not caught up on all your “fallen angel” stories, but this one throws you right into the heart of the drama in a way that works as a standalone. Your imagery and descriptions in this story are, I think, of some of your best work. The whole thing has this “cloud like” sort of heady feel to it, as if it’s unfolding in this magical, otherworldly place…So you absolutely nailed the setting descriptions. These were a few of my favorite lines: “To us, years, decades and cen...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:53 Dec 24, 2022

Hi Aeris! Thanks for reading! I've not been able to spare time for Reedsy lately, but I'm glad I managed to throw this together before the holidays. Those lines you picked were some of my favourites to write too. 😃 PS. Chronologically, this would be the first of the fallen angel stories (for now) even though it's the fourth one written. So I'm glad it works as a standalone - i'm never sure about that when it comes to these. PPS: Hope you have a magical Christmas :)

Reply

Aeris Walker
00:40 Dec 25, 2022

I’ve been super behind on my reading here too—but all my favorite people are writing this week, so I got to get it together 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
00:39 Dec 24, 2022

You know why I'm here - because a last-minute story wouldn't be complete without a break to stop and smell the stardust. Imagine my shock when I find out that I get to read a Selaphiel story today! (If you imagined 😀, you'd be correct.) I almost (read: ALMOST) forgot that the last time we saw these characters, we were formally introduced to Lucifer at the end of that installment. And now we get his full on origin story that helps piece some of the puzzle together. I'm totally here for it. Side note: All the fire/flame imagery for THIS speci...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:44 Dec 24, 2022

Your comments still make my day!✨ Thank you so much for all your kind words and support throughout the year - the improvement from the first angel story to this one has something to do with that I reckon 💗 The order of the stories is debatable perhaps but I'm enjoying the rollercoaster for now! I'm 100% going to ask for your help though once I have like 30 of these (not like I have 30 more ideas but there's at least 2 more) and it's time for a collection wrap-up because it's gonna be a huge mess for me to arrange! 😬 I see you're suspiciou...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
03:01 Jan 26, 2023

More? Been 11 weeks

Reply

Riel Rosehill
09:41 Jan 26, 2023

I know, I'm busy with other writing! But hopefully soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:20 Jan 11, 2023

This is a great series. It’s great to see where the characters started out. I like the downfall.

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:06 Jan 11, 2023

Thanks Graham! It's fun returning to write them time to time. :D

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:25 Jan 11, 2023

A feeling I know very well. It’s quite addictive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:11 Jan 05, 2023

Hey Riel! I’m so glad you chose to revisit these characters. This story was so beautiful. I was utterly enchanted from the very first paragraph. I even liked how we didn’t know where we were going with the story for a bit. I picked a favorite line: Packed with celestial power and the wanderlust of an adolescent angel, he was taking it well. Nice job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
10:36 Dec 29, 2022

This, from the first word, is just so beautiful. I read the first paragraph once then immediately again just to savour that lovely magical tone created through the imagery. That, right there, is just the sort of weaving of words I love! It gets better: I am very into takes on angels as I am a huge fan of His Dark Materials and the BBC are showing their new version of the third book: The Amber Spyglass which has angels recast in a new light; and then there's this little beauty: Yet somehow, I still smell the stardust.- ahh I love Bowie too! I...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
22:26 Dec 29, 2022

Hi Rebecca, Thank you so much for taking your time to read and comment! I too like His Dark Materials but I've not seen the newer ones yet so not yet met the angels (I haven't actually read the books). But I'm going to disappoint you here, because I don't get the Bowie reference! (my pop-culture knowledge is close to non-existent!) That would have been accidental. I did enjoy writing that line though! Thank you so much for the lovely comment - I have a special soft spot for the fallen angels here (this is the fourth "chapter" with the sam...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Edward Latham
12:14 Dec 28, 2022

I can see from the other comments that this is part of a series, and it seems I'm lucky to have picked up the first in chronological order! A beautiful and character-driven story. It seems like there's a lot of conflict and inner turmoil going on amongst the angels of heaven! The relationship between Michael and Lucifer is fascinating and complex, as they seem to harbour both love and anger towards each other. I love your narrative descriptions too; they're evocative and pleasing on the tongue/mind.

Reply

Riel Rosehill
22:15 Dec 29, 2022

Hi Edward, Thanks for taking your time to read and comment! I was trying to keep the related short stories as self-contained as possible, but I guess it's indeed lucky to start with this chronologically first one - I wonder what kind of experience it would be to read them in order! They're all over the place. I'm happy you enjoyed my story, and once again, thank you for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
10:03 Dec 28, 2022

I haven't read all the other stories in this series so did wonder if I would find this hard to follow, but it actually reads really well as a complete story too. I didn't find it hard to pick up on the characters and the relationships between them. Great opening scene here, I always enjoy when stories begin by creating a sense of place and atmosphere and you are so good at doing it. I really loved the imagery of the angels in the clouds looking down on humans. I think the conversations/observations about that were some of my favourite par...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
20:47 Dec 28, 2022

Hi Kelsey! It's always so good to read your comments :) I'm glad to see it works as a stand-alone story! That's what I've been trying to do with all of the related ones too - but for me it can be a little bit hard to judge as I know all the rest of the stories and there were some references and connections to the earlier ones in this one too. I'll have to go back and edit them all at some point, because when I wrote the first one, I was not planning on a second. And when I did actually write the second one, I was not planning on a third st...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
13:55 Dec 25, 2022

Ri Ri ~ Happy holidays! I'm spending my Christmas morning wrapped in my comfy and sipping on coffee reading a Selaphiel story. Life is great 😇 I love how we were both on the same wavelength this week and made God an a-hole in our stories. It's like showing up to work wearing the same thing. We couldn't have planned it better! As always, you make me jealous with your imagery and descriptions. Loved the celestial feel of it throughout. I love me a good origin story. And I love me a fallen angel. Plus I imagine Tom Ellis to be playing Lucif...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
19:37 Dec 25, 2022

Great minds think alike! 🙌 Which is why any collaboration along these lines can only turn out doubly awesome 🔥 As always, tanks you so much for reading (sounded like you had a super cozy morning!) and for sharing the highlights (I too loved those lines!) - and who you casted as Lucifer! - I'll admit I never base their looks or anything on real people but not a bad choice, that one! 👀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
23:37 Dec 23, 2022

Brb -Like I’m always being pulled down to damnation. -Where are your wings Nice Marquez vibe so far.... Help: -After all, I’d let him play with fire. This one sentence seems too clunky for your excellent writing style. ..... Obviously this is first read, nearly LBL.... -, and whilst life evolved, 10 points for the use of that word. -...for another few thousand years as part of his punishment... Foreshadowing? I never looked up the Wikipedia version of his name. - ...Lulu..!’ He flipped around... Nice exchange from the background in serio...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
18:57 Dec 24, 2022

Hi Tommy, thanks for reading and commenting! Don't bother with Wikipedia because I research nothing - it's a whole messy rollercoaster ride I've created in this story's universe, nothing too deep, I'm just having fun 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.