Chickens: Burning the World Down One House at a Time

Written in response to: Write a story involving a friendship between two different species. ... view prompt

156 comments

Fiction Funny Happy

“I remember now. I forgot to-”



You forgot to close the door, and a burning chicken ran into the house, and set your couch on fire. The flames spread, and soon your entire house was burning to the ground.



“What kind of story is that?”



Duh. It’s yours, silly. 



“No, it’s not.”



Of course it is. You said, “I forgot to-” and you were going to say, “I forgot to close the door, and a burning chicken ran int-"



“No, I was NOT going to say that. I was going to say, “I forgot to close the-”



The oven door, and you also forgot to turn off the oven, and a chicken got into your house, flew into the oven, and accidentally closed the oven door on itself. It caught on fire, and while it was flapping around in the oven, trying to get out, it knocked into the door and it opened, and so the burning chicken escaped and ran around your house, catching everything on fire.



“NO. That is not what happened. Now let me finish saying what I was going to say.”



Fine, fine. Go on then.



"I was saying, before you so kindly interrupted me, I forgot to close the front door. I turned around to go and close it, and my dog got out. She ran up to me and knocked the pudding a la flambé that I was taking over to the neighbor’s birthday party and-”



And when you dropped it, a chicken was running past you, and it fell on the chicken and the chicken caught on fire, and that’s when it ran into your house and caught everything on fire.



“It wasn't even a la flambé yet! Now shut up and let me tell you what happened. I dropped the pudding, which was not a la flambé yet, and I ran to catch my dog. I managed to get my dog back inside. When I brought her back in, I caught a whiff of smoke, and so I followed the smell. When I got to the kitchen doorway, I found that I was blocked by a wall of flames. I got my dog and ran outside, calling the fire department on the way.”



I knew it was the burning chicken.



“No. What is it with you and burning chickens?”



They’re the number one reason why houses burn down.



“Since when?”



Uhhh…. I can’t say.



“Mhmm, okay. Whatever. But it turns out that I had left my stove on, and somehow a notebook fell on the stove.”



Because the chicken knocked it onto the stove. And then the chicken caught on fire.



“No, no, NO. Now listen to the rest of my story. So the notebook caught on fire, and the flames spread. They spread quickly, too, so before I knew it, my house was in flames. And there you have it. That’s how my house burned down.”



What about the burning chi-



"THERE WERE NO BURNING CHICKENS! If you’re going to narrate my story, then you need to get it into your brain that no burning chickens were involved. Or else I’m finding a new narrator."



Okay, okay. Touché. 



"I just wanted you to know that there were no burning chickens. Wait, hold on a minute. I'm getting a call."



Who is it?



"It's a neighbor from down the street. She's saying... oh."



What? What is she saying? Go on, tell me. 



"Well... she's, uh, saying... um, she's telling me that there's, uh, a burning chicken setting her couch on fire....."

April 22, 2022 23:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

156 comments

TJ Squared
12:14 Apr 27, 2022

I'm available if you are :)

Reply

12:24 Apr 27, 2022

oki, i'm busy rn with school, but i'll be on in a couple classes

Reply

TJ Squared
12:24 Apr 27, 2022

sure, whenever works best for you :)

Reply

12:31 Apr 27, 2022

okay :) <3

Reply

TJ Squared
12:32 Apr 27, 2022

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
13:17 Apr 27, 2022

I'll try to be on later, sorry that it couldn't happen this morning. things are getting chaotic, but God's got it. cya <3

Reply

13:30 Apr 27, 2022

Okay, that's fine. <33333

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:14 Feb 18, 2024

This was super fun to read! Your title and opening got me interested right away, and then the absurdity of the narration kept me reading. I was almost always wondering: what's going on?? What am I reading?! But you know what, the reason I think this is a good read is because it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't have to. Nice work!

Reply

14:38 Feb 20, 2024

Thank you so much! I tried to come up with a title that was as absurd as the story itself, and I'm glad others think so too! And I'm so glad that the nonsensical-ness (that is absolutely not a word haha) was entertaining! My thought process while writing this entire thing was "What am I doing?? where is this going??", so I'm happy you had a similar thought process while reading it :)

Reply

17:47 Mar 27, 2024

Nonsensical-ness is enough of a word if I still know what you mean! The wonders of English...

Reply

00:53 Apr 01, 2024

Yes, the wonders of English! You should look up the Cambridge University word study!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
21:18 Dec 05, 2022

This is hilarious! I love the back and forth conversation. Also the title is great.

Reply

04:03 Dec 09, 2022

Thank you so much! Ahh, thank you, I was like "Hmmm.... what to name the story?"

Reply

Creed .
16:45 Dec 13, 2022

XD It's epic

Reply

21:46 Dec 13, 2022

hehe, thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
04:58 Sep 16, 2022

Heyo! No new stories? 0.0 Also, how are you?

Reply

11:48 Oct 03, 2022

Hii!! Nope, no new stories, I'm trying though I'm doing pretty okay, what about you?

Reply

Philia S
05:12 Oct 04, 2022

Trying counts as much so, nice! :)) That's nice, I suppose. I mean okay is better than worse than okay but it's still not as good as awesome so I do hope you feel awesome soon. XD I'm fine!

Reply

15:37 Oct 06, 2022

:)) xD life isn't always awesome, unfortunately 😂😂 that's good that you're doing fine! Glad to hear it!😊😊

Reply

Philia S
16:46 Oct 06, 2022

true true lol. :) how's writing?

Reply

02:08 Oct 07, 2022

lolll :))) eh, been so busy i can barely write, writing for school assignments is so harddd thoughhhh

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
16:06 Sep 07, 2022

Hey Missa! Just wanted to say, WELCOME BACK!!!!!!! Also, get this - I got three new stories for ya! AND I am super stoked for your latest story, whenever it will come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait- you WORK AT SONIC?! What is Sonic? (Indian FOMO)

Reply

20:04 Sep 07, 2022

Hey, DJ! THANK YOU!!! Ooh, can't wait to read them! Ahhhh, I'm trying, I'm trying, i'll try to finish it ASAP! YES!!! It's a fast food restaurant with ice cream and burgers and corn dogs and churrosssssssss and churro shakessssss!! https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/9-things-you-didn-t-know-about-sonic-drive

Reply

Dhwani Jain
01:34 Sep 08, 2022

Nice nice😊😊😊😊

Reply

13:41 Sep 08, 2022

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
20:54 Jul 04, 2022

#icantspell

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
20:53 Jul 04, 2022

*person

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
20:53 Jul 04, 2022

you is a great persosn

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
20:53 Jul 04, 2022

spammmy spammy spam

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
14:15 May 29, 2022

henlo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
10:55 May 24, 2022

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philia S
10:55 May 24, 2022

you said we should spam so i am

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jexica Marcell
18:42 May 04, 2022

I love chickens. This story is fire lol

Reply

16:45 May 05, 2022

same. especially when they're burning /j hehe, tyty i just realized.... it's "fire" *facepalm*

Reply

Jexica Marcell
17:54 May 05, 2022

BAHAHAHA omgggggggg im so funny lmaooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Aiden Otaktay
19:15 Apr 28, 2022

Haha super entertaining, fantastic job!!

Reply

20:06 Apr 28, 2022

:) thank you so much!

Reply

Aiden Otaktay
20:11 Apr 28, 2022

You're welcome :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
18:13 Apr 27, 2022

I'm sorry but I may or may not have found your blog through comment stalking. *Whoops* AND I FOUND OUT YOUR FAVE BOOK IS PILGRIM'S PROGRESS AND THAS CRAZY CAUSE IM CURRENTLY READING THAT BOOK-LIKE ITS LITERALLY ON MY LAP RN- And I intend to read Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by the same author soon, lol. How are you?

Reply

10:25 Apr 28, 2022

Hehe, I'm famous YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS WHOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S SUCH AN AMAZING BOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ooh, never heard of that one before imma have to check it out I'm simply amazing, what about you?

Reply

Philia S
05:24 Dec 25, 2022

heyo lol long time no talk :) how are you? how's writing?

Reply

14:33 Jan 04, 2023

Yess I knowwww I'm doing good! Haven't written much lately. Wbu?

Reply

Philia S
06:04 Jan 05, 2023

nice! belated happy new year btw :) have a lovely year! neither have i, tbh XD tho i plan to, this week.

Reply

14:21 Jan 05, 2023

You too :) xD I actually wrote half a Valentine's day song, though

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:34 Apr 27, 2022

How are you doing?

Reply

10:25 Apr 28, 2022

I'm doing amazing, how are you doing?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
14:37 Apr 29, 2022

Me too!! I started an internship with IMUN!!! Do you wanna participate?

Reply

17:47 Apr 29, 2022

That's good to hear! Ooh, what's that? And how would I do that?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
18:08 Apr 29, 2022

Check my bio...It's an international comp where people kind of imitate the actual UN, have you heard of MUns (model United Nations?)

Reply

15:48 May 02, 2022

Ooh, that sounds awesome! And no, I haven't until now!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
14:56 Apr 26, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
17:24 Dec 16, 2022

It's been so long (definitely more than a week) and I am still the sutor of the week.....XD

Reply

01:12 Dec 17, 2022

Yes, it hath been too long! What's a sutor of the week?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:05 Jan 20, 2023

Author of the week...in your bio! (and thank you for liking my post on Instagram!)

Reply

04:11 Jan 22, 2023

Ohhhhh ok, yeah, i think you kind of deserve to be author of the week every week! (you're welcome! also you looked so pretty in your outfit!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Octavian Adams
12:14 Aug 29, 2022

Glad to have you back, Missa <3 Hope to see more of you soon :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
20:31 Aug 18, 2022

<3333

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.