0 comments

Science Fiction

 Plodding footsteps on the creaking wooden stairs tells Ruth they’re here to fetch her. Her heart flutters when the steps stop at her door. Hardly breathing, standing still in the darkness, she stares at the door. A knock on startles her. A commanding, monotone female voice calls out.  

“Ms. Tummley. We’re sure you’re in there. You’ve been under surveillance since you received your notification two days ago. The assigned agent states you haven’t left your apartment. Please let us in. It’s time to get ready for your trip.”

Ruth presses her trembling body against the wall. 

The doorbell rings, and she gasps.

“Listen, Ms. Tummley, picking your name was a billion to one chance. Most people consider it an honor and a privilege to go on a government-sponsored trip to the moon.”

Ruth watches as the doorknob turns. In a soothing voice, the agent continues.

“It’s your duty to accept this challenge., Ms. Tummely.”

“Where can I hide? What Can I do?” The thoughts race threw Ruth’s mind.

“Sorry, Ms. Tummley. We’re coming in.”

Ruth tip-toed across the room. She hears keys jingling outside her door. 

Now her brown eyes are flashing as her brain searches for a way out. 

 “Step out of the kitchen window, climb up the fire-escape, run along the rooftops. I’ll end up in the next block.

The female voice outside the door gets tough.

“Open this door. Now!”

Ruth scurried into the kitchen.

The doorknob jiggles. 

While looking over her shoulder, she pulls up the window frame. 

The doorknob turns. The agents are in the apartment. 

Ruth steps out onto the fire-escape and then glances back into the apartment. 

Flashlight beams cross-cross the apartment. By the time Ruth reaches the roof, an agent sticks his head out of the window. He glances up the fire escape. Whether it was poor eyesight or the darkness, he didn’t detect Ruth. 

“Ms. Tummely’s around here somewhere. I want her found.”

 The agents search the apartment.

“Sorry, Mame. Ms. Tummley is not in this apartment.”

“Staking your career on it, Hanson?”

Hanson hesitates before answering

“Yes, Mame..”

“And the rest of you? Same question. Would you stake your careers on the fact that Ms. Tummley is not in this apartment?”

In unison, the agents answer, “Yes, Mame.”

The lead agent looks around the apartment. 

“Well, if she not in here. That means.” Her voice trails off as she sees the open kitchen window.

“Did anyone open the kitchen window?” 

The agents walk over and examine the window.

“I did, Mame. I thought she might be on the fire escape.”

“Good idea, Hanson. Did you open the window, or was it open?”

Hanson thinks for a minute. “It was open, I’m sure.”

The lead agent walks over to the window. She sticks her head out and looks on the fire escape. 

“Damn,” she moans. Turning to the agents, she orders, “Surround this block and get agents on the roof.”

Ruth climbs the fire escape and walks through the alley to get to the next block. Her parents live five blocks away. That’s where she’ll go. 

It takes fifteen minutes for Ruth to arrive at her parent's home. A suspicious Black SUV sits outside. Ruth walks towards the house and hides between a rose bush for cover. This Location not only gives her perfect camouflage but allows her an unobstructed view of the living room. From her lair, she can see an agent talking to her parents. As they talk, the man is jotting in a pad. Her father, as usual, is being very animated. Head bobbing, voice loud, arms flailing, and fingers pointing. While her mother sits staring,  hands folded in her lap. 

Ruth hears part of the agent’s questions.

“Have you seen your daughter?”

“Where might she go?”

Two agents appear in the doorway, out of  Ruth's parent's view.  They shake their heads at the interviewing agent. He glances at them and nods. The agent ends the interview. He shakes Ruth’s parent’s hands. The agents leave, pile into the Black SUV, and drive away. 

Ruth slips into the house through the backdoor.

Ruth's mother smiles at her.

  “Ruthie!” Her mother cries as she walks over to hug her. 

Ruth's father stands in the doorway, frowning.

“Hi, dad, good to see you.”

“What this I hear? You’re avoiding your opportunity to go to the moon?”

“Dad, I afraid. No, I’m terrified of space travel.”

“Let’s face it, Ruthie., your lifestyle is perfect. No Husband. No kids. No boyfriend. No job. You got nothing to lose, Ruthie.”

“Thanks a lot, Dad.”

“Well, you know what I mean. The moon trip is the biggest thing that ever happened to Tummley Family.”

“I know, Dad. Nonetheless, I’m afraid the rocket will either malfunction or something, and I won’t make it back home.”

Mother pats Ruth’s hand. “Ruthie might be right, Henry. I don’t want to risk the life of our only daughter.”

“Nonsense. The government hasn’t lost a moon traveler since the 80s. They’ve made major improvements to avoid those types of mishaps.”

“Mishaps, Dad? I don’t know. Can I stay here for the night? It’ll give me a chance to clear my head and figure things out.”

“Sure, Honey. You can stay in your old room. I go put on some clean bed linen. Stay here and talk to your Dad.”

“What something to eat or drink, Ruth?”

“Yeah. thanks, Dad. Funny how fear makes you hungry.”

Her father chuckles. 

“Well, here’s a leftover meatloaf sandwich and a can of caffeine-free diet Pepsi.”

“Thanks, Dad, I appreciate it.”

“So, have you given it much thought?”

Ruth gives him a puzzled look.

“You know, space travel to the moon and all. Geez, I’d switch places in a heartbeat.”

“So do I.”

“I’m going back in here and watch television. Wanna join me?”

“I will, Dad, as soon as I finish eating.”

He nods and walks out of the kitchen.

Ruth sits alone, wondering what she’ll do. She can’t hideout at her parent's house forever. For a moment, she fantasizes about her father taking her place. That’s a perfect solution. She laughs to herself.

“I wonder if he could even pass the physical?”

“Ruthie, your room is ready.”

“Okay, Mom, I’ll be right up after I talk to Dad.”

Ruth sits across from her father. 

“Look, Dad. I know how much my going to the moon means to you and what it will mean to our family legacy. But every time I think of space travel, it freaks me out. I have not slept since they notified me. I don’t want to go to the moon, but I don’t want to hurt you.”

Ruth places her face in her hands and sobs.

Her father walks over and hugs her. “Aw, c’mon, Ruthie. The situation is not that bad. You rest. Things will be clearer tomorrow.” He winks at her, “I have a plan.”

The next morning, Ruth awakes to see a ray of sunshine filtering through pale green chiffon curtains.

 “Ruth,” her father calls, “time for breakfast before you go.”

“Okay, Dad, be right there.”

She showers, dresses, and walks downstairs. After walking into the kitchen, Ruth gasps and collapses against the wall.  Four burly agents stood around the kitchen table, waiting.  Two men rush over and restrain Ruth. Mr. Tummley stands by smiling while Mrs. Tummely sits with hands folded in her lap. 

Mr. Tummely step towards Ruth. With her eyes, she signals him to stop.

“I’m sorry, Ruthie. I had to call the agents. I couldn’t let you pass up this opportunity. You’ll thank me one day. You’ll see.”

Ruth stares at the floor.

“I’m ready to go, guys.” 

The agents escort Ruth to the waiting SUV.  

“Ruth! Ruthie!”

Ruth didn’t acknowledge her parents. She refuses to turn around and look at them. The agents help her into the backseat of the SUV and drive away.

August 01, 2020 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.