0 comments

Fiction Romance Sad

NB: *******Contains domestic violence******






Listening to the sound of the rain pouring ,Emily sat by her old room window watching as the water gracefully slides down the glass. Just like every other night loneliness had its way with her heart. As the angry rain drops rolled off the window so did the tears rolled out her eyes. The sound of the rain beating against the roof brings an unexplainable level of peace to her mind. The coldness of the window glass as she revived her hands across it sent a thrill to her body.


She slowy and silently turned around looking at her sleeping husband as she attempts to open the window. The window creeks as she tried her best to get it open with limited amount of noise. Sleepless nights have become apart of her nightly routine, ever since they lost their child Malachi.


As she remembered his unconditional love for the the rain, she smiled through her tears sniffling and using her old torn T-Shirt to wipe the tears from her cheeks. As the window finally swung open she stretched her arm out in the rain trying to revive her almost lifeless body. Nothing seemed to have help her heart, nothing will ever get the memory of his lifeless body out her mind.


Staring deeply at the lightning striking rapidly she wonders how something so dangerous could be so beautiful all at once but not dangerous enough to take her life.

Catching a glimpse of her reflection, she hides from the night light. At once she thought he loved her but after killing her son he ensured to remind her everyday of the monster she have become. The bruises to her fave would maje it hard for anyone to recognize her.

After the accident he moved her to live all the way out in the forest where he could control her happiness.

Her swollen eyes makes it alot more difficult for her to view the beauty of the rain.

"Emily?" Her heartbeat fell flat hearing his voice from behind.

"Please dont hit me?" She begged fearing the idea of angering him.

"Turn around sweetie" A tear dripped off her cheeks as she hear the venom in his voice.

Following his command she hangs her head low waiting for his commands that follows.


"Look at me darling" Swallowing hard she knows what normally follows this command.

Bracing herself for the worst she lifted her head only to have his left palm connecting with her face.

As his palm lands on her already bruised cheeks she screamed out in pain and agony. But one thing she knew is that the pain she feels from his abuse will never be anything compared to that of which she feels towards the loss of Malachi.


She whimpers as he walks closer to her, holding her breath, she waits for another slap to her face, her head being hit against the wall, him aggressively choking her or having his way sexually with her.

He stood there for a while staring out at the rain, while Emily continued bracing her mind and body for the next hit.

After a while she slowly lifts her head to see he's not staring at her but instead his eyes were focused on the storm outside.


The storm wasn't dangerous enough to hurt her but he's enough to take her last breath.


She took the time to admire the beautiful face she fell inlove with but one thing she knew is his soul is long lost and there's nothing to bring it back.

Looking as the veins his face soften Emily took this as the perfect opportunity to speak to him.

Turning aroud she wraps her arm around her body to decrease the coldness of the morning.


"Why do you do it? Do you not love me anymore? Do you not see me as a your wife? Do you see me as nothing but a monster?" She ushered question after question at him but he didn't even shift his eyes to look at her.

With the little strength she had remaining she gathered it all launching numerous tumps at his chest.

Again neither his body nor eyes shift, he felt nothing from her tiny arms.

He knew what he was doing, he knew she was hurting, he knew she wasn't guilty but how could he deal with such pain .

How could he get up everyday knowing he will never see his son again?

It pained his heart everytime he layed his hands on her, but the pain he felt inside was overwhelming.

He couldn't control his emotions, he couldn't control his urge to release the pain he bottled up inside.

It started from one drink, one cigar, one drunk night , one hit to her face and now he has become the person he feared growing up.

"Joseph answer me!" He quickly wraps his arm around pulling her to his chest allowing himself to break down.

How could he ask her to forgive him after all he as done. He knew he love her with every aspect of his heart. But how could he look at her without feeling guilty.

"Why Joseph, why?? Why me?? Why do yiu hurt me like this?"

"Because you were there, you didn't fight back " Hearing those words a different form of hate developed inside her.

"Because I was here, augh Joseph. You abused me for a whole two years because I loved you too much to fight back, you are the monster, you are the monster here. You know I didn't kill Malachi but that's your way of keeping me under your feet"

Her chest pained her as she screamed.


He didn't let her free thou, he held her tight as if its the last time he'll be able to hold her close.


"Please forgive me Lily, I am stupid, you dont have to live here anymore,you dont have to remember my name, but please forgive me for all the hurt I've caused you. Joseph sobbed into her hair, and it pained his heart that it no longer smelt anything close to the vanilla fragrance he loved.


"Do you think I want to leave you Joseph, No I love you but I've just realized I love myself more. This is a final time you'll be able to lay your hands on me in pain. This is the final time sorrowful tears will flow out of my eyes because of you".


"I love you so much Emily" chosen her eyes she let those words take her to her son. Never in a thousand years would she have imagined she would die in the arms of the one she loves hearing him utter the most bittersweet words.














June 12, 2021 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.